Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding cats before or after Xpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding cats before or after Xpipe?

Would there be any significant difference in adding cats AFTER the Xpipe vs. BEFORE? Traditionally, they are always added before. However, the setup I'm looking at would offer a much easier route to install the cats after the Xpipe.

Anything that I should be concerned about?

TIA,
Ryan
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am pretty sure he is right..not enough heat that far back..may as well not have them..except for visual effect.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

I think having cats after the x-pipe would be totally pointless. Cats need to get hot in order to work, and being that far back in the exhaust, they would rarely get hot enough to actually do anything.

Thats the reason manufacturers put the converters as close as possible to the manifolds (sometimes as an integral part of the manifolds), so that they "light off" quickly and efficiently.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, the main things are that they #1 pass visual inspection and #2 muffle the headers a bit. Fwiw, they will be about 8-12" further back than the stock cats are (stock exhaust).

The catted Xpipe is almost $600. I'm trying to decide if I could fabricate something to swap the cars in and out, or just start saving...

More opinions, please .
Ryan

Quick Reply: Adding cats before or after Xpipe?