Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Waterpumps: GM OEM vs. Napa vs. Advance Auto vs. Autozone vs. Other
GM OEM
65.69%
Napa
6.86%
Advance Auto
5.88%
Autozone
7.84%
Other
13.73%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Best Waterpump: GM vs. Napa vs. Autozone vs. Advance vs. Other

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM FTW! I wouldn't use anything else IMO
Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody have the part # for the waterpump gasket for a 02 ls1?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:45 AM
Teching In

My water pump went out at around 43k miles and was replaced by GM under warranty. It just went out again 2 weeks ago at 94k miles. This time I replaced it with a lifetime warranty pump from Car Quest. The gaskets that came with it were much better than the stock paper ones.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to work at a napa auto care center and have worked in gm dealers and i must say i was impressed with napa's water pump for ls-based engines. the whole unit looks like an improved design in many ways and i like the gaskets that come with it better too. i've always had real good luck with napa and gm parts as far as quality goes.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Launching!

I would go with the gm. I had an aftermarket one in my car and it is already leaking after 8,000 miles! I've bought a gm one with a 180 thermostat and plan on putting it on when i do my cam swap!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barracuda68
My water pump went out at around 43k miles and was replaced by GM under warranty.
did you have an extended warranty? to my knowledge, my car is out of warranty, but it only has 33k on the clock and i really don't know if the warranty is in effect or not. any special way to find out? i'm lazy.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barracuda68
My water pump went out at around 43k miles and was replaced by GM under warranty. It just went out again 2 weeks ago at 94k miles. This time I replaced it with a lifetime warranty pump from Car Quest. The gaskets that came with it were much better than the stock paper ones.
LS1 dont use paper gaskets. Its aluminum with rubber seals.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:43 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

I installed an Autozone pump and have had no problems at all...and yes,the gaskets are aluminum with rubber seals....
Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhraman
gm-oem.
+1
Old 09-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
did you have an extended warranty? to my knowledge, my car is out of warranty, but it only has 33k on the clock and i really don't know if the warranty is in effect or not. any special way to find out? i'm lazy.

The dealer replaced my rings at 33k so they extended the warranty on the engine.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full-Force
LS1 dont use paper gaskets. Its aluminum with rubber seals.

The GM pump that the chevy dealer used had paper gaskets.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

FWIW, I had a leak a while back, from the side of the water pump, where the gasket meets the block.

Cost me a whopping $12 plus coolant to fix it. I just replaced the gaskets with Fel-Pro, put the pump back on, and have been running it for a few months now with no problems, and it's actually cooling better than before.

So your pump might not be dying, it might just be the gaskets. Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
FWIW, I had a leak a while back, from the side of the water pump, where the gasket meets the block.

Cost me a whopping $12 plus coolant to fix it. I just replaced the gaskets with Fel-Pro, put the pump back on, and have been running it for a few months now with no problems, and it's actually cooling better than before.

So your pump might not be dying, it might just be the gaskets. Just a thought.
this would be nice.

however, i feel that if i'm going to pay labor to get the pump taken off and put back on to change a gasket, i may as well put a new one on because at that point it's only $163. plus, i just got a nice surprise in the mail! i calculated after paying this year of college how much money i have left in my bank account. however, i forgot i had money coming to me for my last month of my internship (it just ended 2 weeks ago). i just got a check in the mail for $1,700 that i completely forgot about. that was

so now i have the funds to pay for it, plus i'll still be up ~$1,400 over what i initially calculated

i do have a question on the GM OEM LS2 vs. LS1 waterpump. from what i've gathered here is that the LS2 pump has less parasitic loss and i may pick up a few horsepower, but it spins slower? the slower spin means nothing to me since even if i'm at WOT, i'm spending 3 seconds above 4,000 rpm's, if that. my engine will never know the difference and i don't autocross or road race. if my parasitic loss is less with the LS2 style pump, i'd like to get that one, but is it a DIRECT bolt-on? or do i need shorter pullies or something? also, does anyone know the GM part number for it? thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you just spend $20 on a haynes repair manual and save yourself the cost of labor. This way you can at least replace the gaskets and see if that's it.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

I agree, don't pay labor. The water pump on these cars is a cinch to change. It took me all of an hour, and that was taking my time and cleaning stuff up while I was at it.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Tech Resident

guys, i cannot do the work on my own. i will be in philly going to college while my car will be parked in my driveway in NJ. i will be home every other weekend, and that is to work because i will need it as a small source of income. that means the only time i actually will be driving it, i will be at work all day. the only way the pump is getting changed is if a shop will be changing it. otherwise, it will not be getting changed until april and by then, it will likely have puked all over. thanks for the vote of confidence, but i need to get it changed sometime in october while it still works and the only way it will get done is if it's parked at a shop for 2 weeks while i am in philly. honestly, taking a weekend off to change this pump will cost me more than the hour or two of labor i would pay to get it done conviniently and properly.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Understandable. One route you might want to go is to ask what kind of warranty the shop provides on the parts they put on. Sometimes they will not warranty a part you provide, thus making it a hassle down the road if it goes out (sure, you get autozone to replace it but you still have to pay them labor again). Also, sometimes they provide the same kind of 2 year warranty that an autozone would but when they warranty it it means they have to cover the labor as well. Just something to think about.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Understandable. One route you might want to go is to ask what kind of warranty the shop provides on the parts they put on. Sometimes they will not warranty a part you provide, thus making it a hassle down the road if it goes out (sure, you get autozone to replace it but you still have to pay them labor again). Also, sometimes they provide the same kind of 2 year warranty that an autozone would but when they warranty it it means they have to cover the labor as well. Just something to think about.
i've decided i'm going with a GM OEM pump, the only thing i'm not sure of is if i want the LS1 pump or the LS2 pump.

as for the shop, it's my buddy's older brother. i know he won't screw me (he welded my cutout for free ). if the new pump craps out a week down the road, i'm sure he'll help me out, even though it wouldn't be his fault since it was a defect.

the labor isn't the issue, i know i'll be taken care of. i just wanna know the benefits of an LS2 pump over the LS1 pump if anyone has any idea.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

KHShapiro gave some input about that in post #19. Supposedly you just have to pull the pulley out a bit. I have no first hand experience on this though and am not even sure how that could/would be done.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
KHShapiro gave some input about that in post #19. Supposedly you just have to pull the pulley out a bit. I have no first hand experience on this though and am not even sure how that could/would be done.
yea i was hoping someone could elaborate on that one

Quick Reply: Best Waterpump: GM vs. Napa vs. Autozone vs. Advance vs. Other