Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your car stink? How about burn your eyes? No cat, tuned car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine used to smell and now it doesnt anymore
Old 10-01-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car is a heads/cam tuned for a 306 really a 305 (got it tuned when I got it guy claimed 306 was really a custom grind) anyways my eyes burn if i stand behind it for awhile but i dont mind the smell or anything u can smell it like 50 feet away though behind it lol
Old 10-02-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but what you are smelling probably isn't gas. the magnaflow catback is stainless steel. stainless steel tends to smell really bad the first few times it is heated. it has a coating on it that must burn off and may take a few days and maybe 100 miles to do it. i can vouch for this first hand as my car suddenly smelled bad as soon as my stainless cutout was put on, but went away completely 50 miles later.

what you're smelling is likely the newly installed magnaflow catback, not gas from the ORY. the gas fumes aren't enough to burn your eyes with an ORY, unless you're idling in your garage with the door closed like tom from office space...but he was trying to kill himself because he got laid off.

My exhaust has about 7K miles on it and I am talking in open air, in traffic. It hasn't started to bother me until lately... thinking it is time for a plug change.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I dont think what Im smelling is my Magnaflow. However that woudl be nice if it went away after some driving. Its definetly a fuel smell, and its definetly enough to give you some tears if you get a good enough wiff of it. I could care less about idling in the garage. Car doesnt fit anyway. haha. What Im worried about is when I have the tops out and Im sitting at a light or something. I dont think it will be a big problem...and I can take the smell for sure... the thing I cant take is my GF bitching from the passenger seat because she smells alittle gas and exhaust fumes. hahaha.

Justin

Quick Reply: Does your car stink? How about burn your eyes? No cat, tuned car...