Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Mouth questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix305
so are then any suggestions for quieting down my exhaust without having to completely change my exhaust?

put cats on, or...... change your exhaust.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ thats your last 2 options. i would go with cats since the LM flow excellent.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by phoenix305
you guys are probably sick of these questions but trust me i've been researching and i just need a final answer. I'm adding pacesetter headers and ORY to my car, it already has the LM2. I'm worried about it being to loud. would it be any quieter with a sweet thunder or power stick? or would it be about the same? what would be the best way to get a tammer sound out of it? or would it be ok with the LM2 bullet?
Why do people who don't want a LOUD or AGGRESIVE exhuast run a LOUDmouth???? ---orangeapeel fixed your sizing problem---

Question?

Is the exhaust currently too loud?

If Yes, then change catbacks.

If no, then running LT's and a catted Y pipe will keep it to a similar db level.

Changing the muffler will affect the tone more than the db level. To alter this you will need to run either a larger muffler or multiple ones. In this case it is probably just a lot cheaper/easier to swap the whole catback for something more suiting to your needs.

Popular muffler swaps:
-Borla, Magnaflow, Dynomax bullet. These are all high flow bullet mufflers with metalic packing. The offer little in the way of sound supression. They should alter the tone of the LM2 but db lever will be very similar.

-Sweet thunder, this is not a suitable muffler for a LS1 running a Y pipe. These neck down (2.5") and will be too restrictive in this setup. They can be used in duals however. These are chambered mufflers and offer very little sound supression and using a single muffler will likely cause rasp.

-Stainless Works (Powerpack) or Classic Chambered Exhaust Powerstick, these are like Sweet Thunders but do not next down. Much better for flow and performance. Again you'll need multiple mufflers for a sensible setup. The GMMG uses this style of muffler and runs two of them both being the best part of 24" EACH. The Stainless Works chambeder exhaust uses three of these mufflers (one large and two smaller).

Last edited by orangeapeel; 11-06-2006 at 08:04 AM.