Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on universal H/X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on universal H/X pipe

For x-mas i will be getting Pacesetter LT's and i was going to get the LT/ORY package from TSP. But i've been thinking about getting a universal H or X pipe (not sure yet) from jeg's or summit.

Does anyone have one of these? And how do you like it? I see it is pretty cheap so is the quality any good?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Pacesetter LT's and just sold on eBay my Summit x-pipe universal kit. Unless I had some other tubing bent up and fabricated to get it to attach to the headers it wasn't going to just slip together and be a done deal. I looked it all over and said screw it, got an ORY pipe and put a Dynomax bullet on the end of it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pwirch
I have Pacesetter LT's and just sold on eBay my Summit x-pipe universal kit. Unless I had some other tubing bent up and fabricated to get it to attach to the headers it wasn't going to just slip together and be a done deal. I looked it all over and said screw it, got an ORY pipe and put a Dynomax bullet on the end of it.
If its going to be difficult and cost more than i want to spend to have it put together i will just get the ory and put the dynomax bullet in the I-pipe. That was my original idea
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Anybody else have an opinion?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

It all depends on what u want out of the tru duals. Do u want dumped tru duals? or over the axle? Also depends on what size piping u want. If u dont mind dumped tru duals then TSP makes a tru dual x pipe kit for pretty cheap. If u want over the axle then a shop will need to fabricate that. I got a quote from a shop for 2.5 inch h-pipe over the axle with my own provided tips for $800. If u want 3 inch piping over the axle then ull need an upper panhard bar relocation kit which costs another $200. Some people spend $1200-1500 on their over the axle setups. So i think the ORY route is going to be cheaper, UNLESS u dont mind dumped tru duals, which look find on a camaro.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
It all depends on what u want out of the tru duals. Do u want dumped tru duals? or over the axle? Also depends on what size piping u want. If u dont mind dumped tru duals then TSP makes a tru dual x pipe kit for pretty cheap. If u want over the axle then a shop will need to fabricate that. I got a quote from a shop for 2.5 inch h-pipe over the axle with my own provided tips for $800. If u want 3 inch piping over the axle then ull need an upper panhard bar relocation kit which costs another $200. Some people spend $1200-1500 on their over the axle setups. So i think the ORY route is going to be cheaper, UNLESS u dont mind dumped tru duals, which look find on a camaro.
I planned on having the duals dumped. Im not sure on what size yet. 2.5 or 3"
Old 11-14-2006, 12:59 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go 2.5 if you plan on dropping the car anything les than 1". By the looks of your sig it is a 4X4.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Go 2.5 if you plan on dropping the car anything les than 1". By the looks of your sig it is a 4X4.
Thats what i was leaning towards. One day i will get the strano springs
Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

If ur going dumped then most def get the TSP duals... ive heard nothing but good about them. ya plus 3 inch piping isnt really necesarry... 2.5 will be plenty for duals.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Veteran

If ur going dumped then most def get the TSP duals... ive heard nothing but good about them. ya plus 3 inch piping isnt really necesarry... 2.5 will be plenty for duals.
I think i've made my decision. I'm going to run Pacesetter Lt's and TSP ORY with dynomax bullet in the I-pipe with my cutout behind the bullet.

One more question......Should i take the stock muffler out and just put some piping there? or should i have the bullet in the I-pipe and the muffler in the stock location?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just did this a couple weeks ago. 3" bullets, cats and x pipe kit. you will need some other mandrel bends and straight tubing. it can be done with a mig welder and cutoff saw.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I think i've made my decision. I'm going to run Pacesetter Lt's and TSP ORY with dynomax bullet in the I-pipe with my cutout behind the bullet.
Couple of Q's

1. You are running Lt's and no CATS in CA? Brave man (or maybe a little stupid lol )

2. Does this mean you are dumping it off the I pipe? If so it will be LOUD and there will be no need for a cutout at all.

One more question......Should i take the stock muffler out and just put some piping there? or should i have the bullet in the I-pipe and the muffler in the stock location?
How do you mean?

Are you going to fab up and somehow connect the new 3" I pipe to the stock exhaust??? Sounds like a lot of hassle for no result to me.

If you leave the stock muffler in position but disconnect it from the I pipe it will no longer be attached correctly and will wobble and swing about. You'll have to fab up some brackets.

Personally I think running LT's in CA is risky but your decision. However I think you'd be better off going for TSP's duals if you plan to dump under the car and maybe look at getting some CATS as well. At least it will pass a sniffer test that way.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Couple of Q's

1. You are running Lt's and no CATS in CA? Brave man (or maybe a little stupid lol )

2. Does this mean you are dumping it off the I pipe? If so it will be LOUD and there will be no need for a cutout at all.

How do you mean?

Are you going to fab up and somehow connect the new 3" I pipe to the stock exhaust??? Sounds like a lot of hassle for no result to me.

If you leave the stock muffler in position but disconnect it from the I pipe it will no longer be attached correctly and will wobble and swing about. You'll have to fab up some brackets.

Personally I think running LT's in CA is risky but your decision. However I think you'd be better off going for TSP's duals if you plan to dump under the car and maybe look at getting some CATS as well. At least it will pass a sniffer test that way.
1. yes i'm going to run LT's in Ca. Alot of people do it. I dont know anyone that doesnt have LT's.(besides me)
2. I was thinking i could get a bullet welded in the I-pipe and have the muffler in the stock location cut off and replaced with pipe.(Have the pipe welded in the place of the muffler)So my I-pipe would have the bullet with a cutout right behind it.......is this possible??
Old 11-15-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Cutout is not necesarry at all if u are gonna have an ORY with just a dynomax bullet. It will be so dam loud already... As far as the whole cutting out the stock muffler etc, etc, why dont u just finish off the rest of the exhaust with some custom work. Wouldnt cost you that much especially if u already have the bullet. Plus it would flow alot better.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

i bought the x pipe universal kit from summit (3 in.). if you do get it there are a few things that you must take into account.

1. when i received mine it had small metal burs on the inside. i went in and sanded what i could reach just to have it super smooth and then polished it. it wasn't too bad.

2. the x pipe ( 3 in.) does not work too well with our cars. it's pretty big and thus it is hard to find a position for it under our cars. it wont sit snuggly in between the floor pans under the driveshaft like other x pipes. we managed to fit it right under the transmission brace with about 2 in. of clearance. on a non-lowered car

3. and finally, with the x pipe you will need to fab up a few small pieces of tube to get your long tubes to connect to it.

that's about it really. i love how my car sounds. it sounds f'n awesome. but, i want to lower my car a bit and i can't because it will scrape on everything. i'm actually considering redoing the exhaust with a different x pipe just so i can lower the car.

overall, the flow is nice, the material is fine, and the sound is awesome. however, the clearance, well... lol.

oh and 300bhp/ton? long tubes in cali are a normal thing nowadays. !cats here too! i guess i must be stupid sike!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by musclebird69
i bought the x pipe universal kit from summit (3 in.). if you do get it there are a few things that you must take into account.

1. when i received mine it had small metal burs on the inside. i went in and sanded what i could reach just to have it super smooth and then polished it. it wasn't too bad.

2. the x pipe ( 3 in.) does not work too well with our cars. it's pretty big and thus it is hard to find a position for it under our cars. it wont sit snuggly in between the floor pans under the driveshaft like other x pipes. we managed to fit it right under the transmission brace with about 2 in. of clearance. on a non-lowered car

3. and finally, with the x pipe you will need to fab up a few small pieces of tube to get your long tubes to connect to it.

that's about it really. i love how my car sounds. it sounds f'n awesome. but, i want to lower my car a bit and i can't because it will scrape on everything. i'm actually considering redoing the exhaust with a different x pipe just so i can lower the car.

overall, the flow is nice, the material is fine, and the sound is awesome. however, the clearance, well... lol.

oh and 300bhp/ton? long tubes in cali are a normal thing nowadays. !cats here too! i guess i must be stupid sike!
Thanks for the info on the x-pipe. If running LT's makes me and all the other people stupid then i'm willing to take that title

I think i'm going to try the Pacesetter LT's with TSP ory with my cutout and see how i like it. If i dont like it i will most likely try and save some money for the TSP duals.

Do u happen to have any sound clips of you car?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Cutout is not necesarry at all if u are gonna have an ORY with just a dynomax bullet. It will be so dam loud already... As far as the whole cutting out the stock muffler etc, etc, why dont u just finish off the rest of the exhaust with some custom work. Wouldnt cost you that much especially if u already have the bullet. Plus it would flow alot better.
This is also a good idea. I could have a shop make a catback. I have so many options to chose from!!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

I was thinking i could get a bullet welded in the I-pipe and have the muffler in the stock location cut off and replaced with pipe.(Have the pipe welded in the place of the muffler)So my I-pipe would have the bullet with a cutout right behind it.......is this possible??
word of advice/thought... you don't have an I-Pipe if your going TD's.... you also do not need a cutout unless - your putting cats in your TD's or your having large baffled mufflers in the back.... thus you would need (2) cutouts

I'm currently running 3" pipe before my X-Pipe and 2.5" after the X into dynomax bullets then dumped with Sportlines... so don't completely rule out your 3" option.... my current setup is great for torque as it fully scavenges until the X and then releases the devil's mouth
Old 11-16-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
word of advice/thought... you don't have an I-Pipe if your going TD's.... you also do not need a cutout unless - your putting cats in your TD's or your having large baffled mufflers in the back.... thus you would need (2) cutouts

I'm currently running 3" pipe before my X-Pipe and 2.5" after the X into dynomax bullets then dumped with Sportlines... so don't completely rule out your 3" option.... my current setup is great for torque as it fully scavenges until the X and then releases the devil's mouth
I know there is no i-pipe with duals. I was referring to putting a bullet in the i-pipe and running Lt's and ORY
Old 11-16-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

Another reason why i'd recommend getting duals is from what ive heard, duals dont have NEAR as much rasp as an ORY. I have an ORY with a flowmaster muffler and while it does sound nice, it also is raspy. Im gonna be switching to tru duals as soon as i can get my dam Torque Arm (getting the torque arm first so the custom shop can fab the exhaust around my T/A instead of having to redo the exhaust after buying the T/A, which is another thing u might want to consider if u were ever going to buy a torque arm.) Im really excited to see how much it tones down the rasp.

Quick Reply: Opinions on universal H/X pipe