Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause my car to rev pretty high?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would cause my car to rev pretty high?

Just as posted what would cause my car to rev like this. I notice this today after I turned the car on and it seemed to be searching for an idle. When I pushed on the gas pedal it reved to about 4000 rpms and stayed there for about 30 secs before finding an idle again. The only thing I did to the car is tighten the belt on the d-1 because I suspected that it was slipping (only getting 5 psi). Well after a few WOT runs I parked the car and today I turned the car on and it revved like I mentioned. This has happened a few times before, but this was the first time in about 2 months since the last time it did it.. The only thing I can think of is that I have an intake leak since I installed it myself and it is probably lifting since I retighten the belt and now seeing full boost. What do you guys think should I go an retorque the intake or does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be???? HELP PLEASE!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at first i was thinking it was a sensor but i would double check the intake manifold bolts and make sure they are tight.you may have a vaccum leak.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

maybe manually check the tb....might have some sticking going on or otherwise rev the car with your hand moving the tb and see what happens then.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

just sounds like a smiple vacume leak to me
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I did do the manual check yesterday and it just revved just as when I pressed on the gas pedal.. The only weird thing about it is that it only does it on diffrent occassions.. I suspect that since I retighten the belt on the d-1 and now seeing full boost I'm probably lifting the intake some what and causing a vacuum leak. Does everyone agree on this?? Thanks Andy
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like some type of intake leak to me as well . Tough to say where though . Never had a throttle body stick that bad though I have ran into a few intake manifolds that had bad intake seals that will keep the idle high but they will rev high as soon as you crank it up just sucking in air .
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help guys I retorqued the bolts on the intake so now I just have to wait and see what happens. I did notice that the bolts were somewhat loose so we'll see. Thanks Andy.