Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ssra

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there were 2 posts not to lnog ago, within the alst 2 months from guys that added the SSRA alone at got 1-2 10ths at the track and like a mph better
Old 11-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
no... im not saying it will match the FRA in rwhp
umm, yes you did
i would rather pick up just as much rwhp doin the "free" FRA mod instead of paying $130 for something just as good that needs the FRA mod either ways. who cares if its directing airflow and cooling it passing my fans. not enough to sway me away from just doing FRA
the whole point of the FTRA/SSRA is to direct the airflow past your hot radiator. that's why it's called "cold air induction".

it works. i have it. i like it. it's not going anywhere.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh no! sorry guys, I already had a metal SLP CAI and I bought a brand new plastic bottom peice for $80.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
there were 2 posts not to lnog ago, within the alst 2 months from guys that added the SSRA alone at got 1-2 10ths at the track and like a mph better
there's where im going with it... 1/10th here or there for just ssra. so basically im wanting to compare the stock airbox - to FRA - to SSRA - and see how much of a difference it is worth. and i'm basically voicing my opinion on how much i think it is worth. (not putting it down and will probably will eventually pick one up down the road)

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
umm, yes you did
i said it would be in the proximity not equally matched and balanced... quoting... "just as much" in case there needs to be clairifing
Old 11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Resident

i said it would be in the proximity not equally matched and balanced... quoting... "just as much" in case there needs to be clairifing
i know what ya said. i just think your opinions have wavered a bit after going through this thread. don't BS me

you'll only see a tenth from a lid on average, and since a lid is $100, you're basically paying $100 for a tenth off your 1/4 mile time. now, with the ram air kits you see 1-2 tenths for $150 (that's about what i paid for my FTRA new). so that's about the same horsepower per dollar ratio as a lid. by your justification, you shouldn't buy a lid because the horsepower per dollar amount sucks. i just feel your rationalization of the FRA is completely unjustified and you're just making it up to comfort yourself. you WILL gain over the FRA, guaranteed. do i feel that the cost is justified to buy an FTRA/SSRA? definitely. it's about the same horsepower per dollar ratio as a lid, and everyone on LS1Tech will agree a lid is not only the best first mod, but ESSENTIAL.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

i know what ya said. i just think your opinions have wavered a bit after going through this thread. don't BS me
im not "bs'ing" you

you'll only see a tenth from a lid on average, and since a lid is $100, you're basically paying $100 for a tenth off your 1/4 mile time. now, with the ram air kits you see 1-2 tenths for $150 (that's about what i paid for my FTRA new). so that's about the same horsepower per dollar ratio as a lid. by your justification, you shouldn't buy a lid because the horsepower per dollar amount sucks. i just feel your rationalization of the FRA is completely unjustified and you're just making it up to comfort yourself. you WILL gain over the FRA, guaranteed. do i feel that the cost is justified to buy an FTRA/SSRA? definitely. it's about the same horsepower per dollar ratio as a lid, and everyone on LS1Tech will agree a lid is not only the best first mod, but ESSENTIAL.
the fact of the matter is that im not even talking about a lid here buddy. there is no reason to bring that up and DON'T start putting words out there on something that wasn't even discussed on my behalf concerning my opinon on the lid as that has not even been expressed. this is more strictly the "FRA" and my feelings against the "SSRA" that has been blown out of proportion by yourself. more comes down to how much of a difference is it between the SSRA and the FRA... not going into a whole other area concerning induction.

my feel is that the FRA will give close enough gains to the SSRA for myself. if you feel that $150 is worth 1/10th that is fine. for me FRA will will satisfy that area for now...
you WILL gain over the FRA, guaranteed
i understand that... and NEVER opposed that (as you think it did) for some reason
just saying i would like to see evidence of how much the gains are in the differnce between the two (not saying that they're the the same)
1/10th over FRA? or stock airbox?
for $150... ok... all for it (believer in every little bit counts)
is it worth it? to you, it is right now... to me, i can wait
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm feeling convinced.

I think i'm gonna pick the FTRA kit up.

there's no possible way FRA can compare.. it's just logical. and 170 bucks sounds like it would be clearly well spent considering how easy the install is and even better when used with a lid.

is this combo possible to draw too much air into the system?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

^^naw, you'll be fine
Old 11-20-2006, 03:16 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

RrCoX22 - Ok, I'm not trying to roast you but you are ignorant, you just don't know. Not your fault, but you can't shoot down anything you do not have any experience with.

You HAVE to do the FRA to install the SSRA (FTRA or whatever). It works, deal with it. I have had it for about 4 or so years on my SS. I have had no problems with it sucking up any water, even with the massive floods we have in Houston.
The only problem I had is that the epoxy was crap and all sections fell aparts, but I just fixed it with a better epoxy. This was when the SSRA first came out, so I bet they are better now.

I do not have the upper section anymore due to it not fitting with my BeCool radiator, but I still have the lower section mounted.

Again, not trying to jump your ****, just telling you how it is.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

till you guys come up with numbers and facts i will stay with my own opinion
your loss, there have been many posts about the FTRA with track times.

For highway use the FRA is fine, but from a dig it does nothing but increase IAT's. These "ram air" setups utilise cool air ducting so IAT's are much nearer to abmient at any speed or standstill.

It really has nothing to do with ramming anything and ram air is a miss understood term which is primarily used incorrectly as a marketing tool.

But as far as the theory behind ram air goes the FTRA does follow the correct guide lines plus I suspect it also either by deisgn or by luck happens to be well suited to the Ls1's natural harmonic frequency. This is something called air box resonance and again is proven in many more places than just Ls1's.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Resident

the fact of the matter is that im not even talking about a lid here buddy. there is no reason to bring that up and DON'T start putting words out there on something that wasn't even discussed on my behalf concerning my opinon on the lid as that has not even been expressed.
who is talking about a lid? i'm simply saying that a FTRA/SSRA will give you roughly the same horsepower per dollar as installing a lid. now, i doubt you'd be saying a lid is a waste of money as it's probably the best horsepower per dollar mod you can do, so if you think the lid is a good buy, the FTRA/SSRA must also be a good buy.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
your loss, there have been many posts about the FTRA with track times.

For highway use the FRA is fine, but from a dig it does nothing but increase IAT's. These "ram air" setups utilise cool air ducting so IAT's are much nearer to abmient at any speed or standstill.

It really has nothing to do with ramming anything and ram air is a miss understood term which is primarily used incorrectly as a marketing tool.

But as far as the theory behind ram air goes the FTRA does follow the correct guide lines plus I suspect it also either by deisgn or by luck happens to be well suited to the Ls1's natural harmonic frequency. This is something called air box resonance and again is proven in many more places than just Ls1's.
Supposedly Vararam was working on a system for LSxx f bodies that actually had "positive pressure increases" at the intake manifold (a REAL "ram air" system). I don't know what ever became of this. I'm guessing that with the demise of the 4th gen f bodies, and the ease/profit of making/designing systems for y bodies and trucks/SUVs, the whole deal was shelved.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been runnin the FTRA for over three years now..no wet air filters or leaves in it yet..it is good for a tenth to 2 tenths in the quarter..bought it used in the parts for sale section for $75 and I figure it was worth it..

FYI for the dude who needed some varification of the product. Check out www.installuniversity.com back in December of 2000 there was a review done on the FTRA..the short story is that the car picked up 5,7% in fuel economy, .073 in the eighth mile ET, and .456 MPH in the eight mile speed ....that equates to about 5 RWHP.. those numbers should be better in the quarter mile because of the product working much better at higher speeds generated in the quarter mile..that is some of the least expensive performance that you will ever buy and the saving in fuel will pay for the mod in a short time...go and read the whole article it concerns an increase in volumetric efficiency ... this is really "old old news" but I guess that everyone was a newbie at one time or another..

PS Ya gotta do the FRA mod to use either the super sucker or the FTRA

Last edited by slt200mph; 11-20-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

CHILDREN, CHILDREN! CALM DOWN AND GO TO YOUR ROOMS!
i think it is a matter of prefrence, some like it others dont.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbandit0996
CHILDREN, CHILDREN! CALM DOWN AND GO TO YOUR ROOMS!
i think it is a matter of prefrence, some like it others dont.

You got that right it is a free country...I am sure that some like to go slower than others and some like to get less gas milage than others..let me know the next you meet one of those folks and we can call Ripleys Beleive It or Not ..

The dude wanted varification so I provided him with a very comprehensive article on a test of the product in question..nuff said..
Old 11-20-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Supposedly Vararam was working on a system for LSxx f bodies that actually had "positive pressure increases" at the intake manifold (a REAL "ram air" system). I don't know what ever became of this. I'm guessing that with the demise of the 4th gen f bodies, and the ease/profit of making/designing systems for y bodies and trucks/SUVs, the whole deal was shelved.
Interesting, although I personally would doubt anything from Vararam. From what I've seen and researched most of their stuff is junk. There C5 intake I think appears to be total fluke.

Some of the info they used to have on their website was very funny and totally incorrect unless they had found a way to defy physics.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CRAGER
but you are ignorant, you just don't know. Not your fault, but you can't shoot down anything you do not have any experience with.

You HAVE to do the FRA to install the SSRA (FTRA or whatever). It works, deal with it. .
you must not have read my earlier post and mis-judged my knowledge of what SSRA or FTRA or any other cold air induction application is...
that needs the FRA mod either ways.
i know exactly what it is
Originally Posted by slt200mph
review done on the FTRA..the short story is that the car picked up 5,7% in fuel economy, .073 in the eighth mile ET, and .456 MPH in the eight mile speed ....that equates to about 5 RWHP..
this is the information i was contesting...

are those number vs. a stock airbox? simply how much of a difference is there with a "SSRA" compared to "FRA" that's where im going with this.

IM NOT PUTTING IT DOWN AS IM A BIG BELIEVER IN EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS! i will most likely be installing the SSRA on my next cam install as i like the idea of plastic and live in a hot weathered environment. so i'm all for it... i was just putting up comparisons. thank you i'm done
Old 11-20-2006, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

my thoughts are every little bit helps, thats why i do dumb stuff like free mods and small little weight reductions and all that crap adds up! i bought a package deal of stuff and sold some of it which made the SSRA free, so i'm not complaining at all. And i too have driven through rain and all and never had a problem with it...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brian2006
It's plastic not metal.
mine is metal, half SLP,SSRA
Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
mine is metal, half SLP,SSRA
ah gotcha. I just know if you buy the actual full SSRA it's plastic