Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS or Coates Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS or Coates Headers

I guess this question is for anyone who has had 1st hand experience with BOTH Stainless and Coated headers. Which one will keep heat down better and will have a lower engine noise if any. I dont care about the "bling" effect of the ss, nor am I worried about rust (nothing rust too much down here). I was almost set on ss but then read that coated keeps it cooler underhood. Also for you coated guys, any problems with it peeling off?
Old 11-18-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you can get stainless. there should be no reason to get coated, that most of the time end up looking like **** after a year or so of DD.im going with kooks ss then having them coated for an extra 200 bucks. good luck.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

if you go stainless your good as they will outlast you as long as you maintain them while retaining heat much better than the coated. the coated will eventually start to rust out (depending on location and driving) meaning no more coating
Old 11-18-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in SC and have never had any rust on any of my vehicles here. I am not worried about the coating rusting off, but I am not sure how strong the stuff is and how it will withstand the burning off. I believe im just going to go with stainless and be done with it.