Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borlamouth, Dynomouth, or Hooker???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borlamouth, Dynomouth, or Hooker???

I got tired of how loud the loudmouth is and am trying to quiet it down. You can here it from two miles away which can draw unwanted attention. I need more of a stealth sound, so I am considering replacing the resonator with a borla xr1 muffler. But damn, at over 300 bucks I can just buy a Hooker exhaust and sell the loudmouth to my friend. I've checked out ls1sounds.com and can't really find my combination.
so my question-

Replace resonator with borla muffler at 300+ dollars?

Replace resonator with dynomax muffler at 20 dollars?

Scrap the loudmouth and get a hooker exhaust?

Will Slp high flow cats fit hooker exhaust? Cats and exhaust at are 3inches i believe.

I appreciate the input.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Borla's are only $135 each! I think I'm going with a new DNA muffler and see what it sounds like, they are around $145 each.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

135 doesn't seem bad, I could have sworn I saw it for 300 on their site.

It would be more efficient to swap out the resonator than the whole exhaust in that case.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

would a hooker or borlamouth be quieter and deeper with lts and 224 on 112 cam?
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
would a hooker or borlamouth be quieter and deeper with lts and 224 on 112 cam?
well on my car with a224 cam and 114 lsa the hooker has a nice deep tone and no rasp.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, I definitely don't dig the rasp. Not so bad anymore after the cam install.
Anyone go the borlamouth route?? Tell me what you think.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing is, if you like the sound of the LM I think you'll hate the sound of the Hooker. They are extremes in terms of tone.

Also swapping the LM resonator out for a straight thru bullet will alter the tone but have very little affect on db level.

SLP CATS suck BTW. I remember reading a report where they flowed worse than stock ones.

Magnaflow Carsound 3" cats are pretty decent for the money and flow well. Next level up is Metal Matrix cats (Magnaflow or Random Technology) these flow better than many mufflers but they are pricey.

I'd also look into using a Magnalfow muffler instead of a Borla. You can get a Magnaflow bullet for about $60 off of Ebay (new). Running multiple mufflers would probably be a better bet in reducing db level.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:26 AM
TECH Resident

Get e-bay SS cats... like 60 bucks and flow just as well as random tech or magnaflow... dont waste like $300 on cats...
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

135 doesn't seem bad, I could have sworn I saw it for 300 on their site.

It would be more efficient to swap out the resonator than the whole exhaust in that case.
Of course when you go to Borla's site they list a higher price, but if you go to Summitt or Jeg's the price is alot cheaper. I think it is even cheaper then $135.

So just slap the XR1 on and you will love it, it sounds alot deeper and very very little rasp.

300bhp/ton - You are wrong, the db drop is immense, only at WOT does it have about the same db.

Loudmouth on stock exhaust manifold, cat'ed car is fine. But on LT's and/or ORY is suck *****. XR1 is where it's at, or Dynomax. I can't down the Dynomax since I've never owned one, but I can praise the XR1.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 AM
TECH Regular

The loudmouth and slp cats were already on the car when I bought it so I hate to have to buy things I already have. I just heard a magnamouth clip and it is still pretty loud. I may just have to get a hooker catback for 375 shipped. The catback doesn't come with the cats right? If I sell the lm and slp cats for half price to a friend, then that will pretty much pay for the hooker catback. Ebay ss cats might not be a bad idea either for the price. I guess sparing no expense isn't always the best route.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:44 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

...The catback doesn't come with the cats right?...
You are correct. The cats are a part of the header kit, or y-pipe set-up for the brand of headers.

Just get the XR1, with cats on it will be pretty quiet, and with no cats it still is not that loud. Don't get me wrong, any car with LT's and a cat-back will be loud but with the XR1 vs stock Loudmouth is a big difference.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
Get e-bay SS cats... like 60 bucks and flow just as well as random tech or magnaflow... dont waste like $300 on cats...
Care to show me which ones you mean? The only CATs I've seen on Ebay are ***** compared to the regular ceramic Magnaflow ones, never seen anything close to the metal matrix ones, except of course other metal matrix ones.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The thing is, if you like the sound of the LM I think you'll hate the sound of the Hooker. They are extremes in terms of tone.
Please elaborate on this because I'm not a fan (anymore) of lm, I just want a quiet exhaust that sounds deep. It's really just a question of whether to swap the resonator or the whole catback. If it's still going to be annoying with borlamouth then I will just get hooker and random tech cats which are still 300 bucks for the pair.

I would rather not pay close to 700 bucks just to be a stealthy racer, but what other options are left.

Where can I find the flow rates of Cats?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Care to show me which ones you mean? The only CATs I've seen on Ebay are ***** compared to the regular ceramic Magnaflow ones, never seen anything close to the metal matrix ones, except of course other metal matrix ones.
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Perfo...0497141QQsofpZ0 I have been told these cats are really nice and for $60... u cant beat that for stainless steel. Perform just as well as random tech, etc...

Edit: Nvm... that link wont work, i will try to find it again.

Edit: here: http://search.stores.ebay.com/Perfor...497141QQsofpZ0
Old 11-21-2006, 05:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hooker is loud compared to stock, I hated mine.
I just put an XR-1 after my STS, it made it quieter. Or less loud, depending on your outlook.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BirdmanLS1
http://search.stores.ebay.com/Perfo...0497141QQsofpZ0 I have been told these cats are really nice and for $60... u cant beat that for stainless steel. Perform just as well as random tech, etc...

Edit: Nvm... that link wont work, i will try to find it again.

Edit: here: http://search.stores.ebay.com/Perfor...497141QQsofpZ0
Yep they are totally ****!!!

According to the numbers they provide in the ad they will become a restriction at about 270bhp, would choke a stock Ls1 and completly suffocate and rape a modded one.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Now im told hooker is loud. Cheap cats suck. I'll save myself the heartache and just go borlamouth. My lm is bolted not welded, but i still have to go check whether the resonator is clamped or whether I have to take a reciprocating saw to it.

Anyone put in borlamouth themselves without going to the muffler shop??
Old 11-21-2006, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Hooker is not very loud at all, sound clips in sig. LTs ORY and cammed
Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the sound clip Roastem, you're right that's not loud at all, especially for a cold start with h/c. Mine will have cats so it will be qiueter with the hooker. It was hard to find a setup that would be similar to mine, but yours is the closest one so far. Nice SS BTW.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Hooker set-up & dont look back. I absolutely love mine & another member on here did back to back dyno pulls in his 530 RWHP Camaro with the Hooker & an open cutout. He actually lost some with the cutout open over the Hooker.

Its one of the best flowing mufflers made to fit our cars.

Quick Reply: Borlamouth, Dynomouth, or Hooker???