Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SI Guys: Why Not heads/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SI Guys: Why Not heads/cam?

Is there any benefit for paying extra to run only bolt ons and get to the 11's instead of doing heads/cam? I was thinking about just doing all bolt ons and running a 150 shot or something.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, your using loose terms here. To be heads are bolt on. You could hit 11s with just heads, gears, stall if your auto, if not a clutch for a m6, lid, tune and some insanely good driving.

I don't really know what kind of benefit you talk about though. With nitrous, the power isn't always on, so if you want to quickly race a friend some where, you'd ahve to get the n2o setup. Everyday driving is similar though, same mpg..ect. Whe you do heads and a cam, you'll more than likely have a loss in mpg, but you'll have the power constantly.

Realistically, it isn't throw **** at your cars and run 11s. DRIVING iS HARD. Not saying that you can't drive, but before throwing money at the car, i'd do some suspension work and practice at the track.

Also, "full bolt ons" are usually required for heads and a cam car. It would be dumb to have heads and a cam without a lid, full exhaust..ect.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
well, your using loose terms here. To be heads are bolt on. You could hit 11s with just heads, gears, stall if your auto, if not a clutch for a m6, lid, tune and some insanely good driving.

I don't really know what kind of benefit you talk about though. With nitrous, the power isn't always on, so if you want to quickly race a friend some where, you'd ahve to get the n2o setup. Everyday driving is similar though, same mpg..ect. Whe you do heads and a cam, you'll more than likely have a loss in mpg, but you'll have the power constantly.

Realistically, it isn't throw **** at your cars and run 11s. DRIVING iS HARD. Not saying that you can't drive, but before throwing money at the car, i'd do some suspension work and practice at the track.

Also, "full bolt ons" are usually required for heads and a cam car. It would be dumb to have heads and a cam without a lid, full exhaust..ect.

Good advice, however driving isnt THAT hard. My first time to the track I pulled a 2.2 60' The second I got a 2.0, and my last trip was a 1.9 with worn out 15,000 mile nitto 555R's. Ive only been there a handfull of times and have gotten MUCH better in a short amount of time. Its not that hard.

FYI- Heads and cam with supporting bolt ons will get you into the 11's. I went 11.91@121 with headers, lid ,3.73's, and a 150 wet shot. I went 11.81@119 after a yank SS3600, it would of been a good amount faster but old drag radials and a 2.5 STR stall dont mix
Old 11-21-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To run fast with Heads & Cam requires alot of the same supporting parts that make a SI car run fast. Most of us "graduate" to Heads & Cam after reaching our SI goals, or in my case, finally save enough money

Besides, no many things more fun than out running a car with motorwork with your SI car
Old 11-22-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

SI is Stock Internal correct? It's not in the LS1Tech acronym list.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes correct ... that or sports illustrated
Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to try to get to high 11s with bolt ons only (no juice)...it will realistically only happen if I have all bolt ons (including ewp) and cut a great 60 foot on drag radials. Most people don't get there with bolt ons though unless they do some weight reduction and some suspension work. My long term goal is high 10s but that will likely take heads/cam and my juice. I'd rather have a solid 11 sec h/c car than a 11 sec bolt on/nitrous car as the bottle runs out and you are left with a 12 second car.