Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing QTP's soon on a LS1...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Installing QTP's soon on a LS1...

going to be installing a set of the QTP's here soon and was wondering what will i definately need to unbolt and take out of the way. that way i dont have to waste any time and can go under it and pull everything out and put the headers on. also are the locking collector and header bolts worth the extra cash!?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dipstick for sure, locking bolts are always nice but the stockers can be re-used
Old 11-22-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Check the link in my sig, I had some woulda shoulda's but can't remember them off the top of my head.

Also, I wouldn't and didn't buy the locking bolts, if you have 20$ burning a hole in your pocket maybe.
Just clean up the stockers I would say.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

i unbolted and removed the steering arm. i was not as fortunate as some others and i had to unbolt the motor mount also . also had to do some tweaking on one of the primaries but some people grinds some on their crossmember if they have clearance issues.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

worse case is you will have to grind kmember, please don't dent the primaries.
Jack up super high so that you can vertically stand the header with the collector facing down, then turn, and the header should slide right in.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the QTP's, all that I had to remove was the dipstick tube. They slid right in. With my previous set of headers, I had to grind down the casting block on the driver's side. Not sure if that is required with the QTP's. I used the Stage 8 Bolt and did use the locks. I would remove the spark plugs since it makes a little bit easier.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

all i had to take off were the dipstick tube, oil diverter and oil filter
Old 11-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

QTP's are the ****, but 2 many fitment issues with getting them in, and there famous y-pipe. i was set on QTP's but deciding to go with kooks.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NiCks Ws6
QTP's are the ****, but 2 many fitment issues with getting them in, and there famous y-pipe. i was set on QTP's but deciding to go with kooks.

like what issues? i had zero problems getting mine it.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ya what issues? And dont say i read or i heard from my buddy. Thats not fact. I have QTPs and they are great. Slip right in and make good power. But i would recomend it be installed on a lift. Makes life alot eaiser.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't trade mine for another set. Every car is a little different, and I'm sure every header, even from the same manufacturer, is different. I'd like to see how repeatable it is to snake all those long tubes together the same, everytime.

Anyways, I pulled the steering shaft, dipstick, and passenger's side coil back bracket. It wasn't too bad, honestly, and I've done it four times now.

Each car is different so each part has the potential to fit different. Every LT company has had problems with fitment, so I wouldn't give too much credit, just because a lot more people have been jumping on the QTP bandwagon, since they've lowered their price, polished their LTs, and have HVMCs on all of them.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
going to be installing a set of the QTP's here soon and was wondering what will i definately need to unbolt and take out of the way. that way i dont have to waste any time and can go under it and pull everything out and put the headers on. also are the locking collector and header bolts worth the extra cash!?

let me see when i did my QTP LTs..

all i really did was nothc out the K member and take out the stering linkage... and yes i would do the locking header bolts that is what i did.