Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I shut up my exhaust without losing power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbors used to give me all kinds of looks with my loud car. I think they're thankful because I'm generally considerate with the volume thing. I turn my radio down, and keep the revs down for them, unless I'm in a hurry and it's not too late. But any time they start to give me any amount of **** about the volume of my car while I'm idling by, I show them what it could be like and hammer it and make them cover their ears and the little children cry. I'll be swapping to a Flowmaster 40 series, hopefully soon, so it should be a touch quieter and sound much better than the hollow oval muffler I got on there right now. That should help out a good bit, because most of them like the sound of muscle cars.

Just show them what it could be like and they should be satisfied with you idling by.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
It aint happening. Anything you add to the exhaust will cause a power loss somewhere in the RPM range. Cutouts are your best bet, or move, or just ignore the neighbors, or just let them deal with it.
not true there formula to keep the flow up. you can actualy buy mufflers that can out flow the exhaust pipe (don't do this, match them) there are plenty of threads on good exhaust setups. i am not even going to ask how cut outs will solve his too much noise problem.

Last edited by mullenh; 11-25-2006 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a new catback that is quieter, and then add a single cutout. and you should be fine.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Man you need a full size catback....(go Magnaflow), what you have there now is basically straight pipes lol.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The powerstick mufflers are now 3" internally. You guys are looking at the wrong site, look at the official one: http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html
They no longer neck down, plus if you scroll to the bottom, you can order them direct now!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Header cones might do enough to take the edge off. They're cheap and easy to put in.

A pair of Dynomax race bullets in the Y-pipe will take a few DBs off the volume and kill some of the rasp from the Y-pipe. Might cost you as much as 2 HP.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:45 PM
That's what she said...

Check the link in my sig. My exhaust is nearly silent untill I open the cutout.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
"(Note: 3" units do neck down to a little more than 2.5" right now)"

This is a quote from http://www.torquetechexh.com/powersticks.htm.

So Sweet Thunders are really no different, as they are a 3" outer with a 2-1/2" inner.
Keith (Torque Tech) has some old info about these on their website - I'll let him know. They are consistent now - 3" OD flow tube dia. all the way.

Let the Powerstick revolution begin! Great Christmas present!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Resident

i'd say screw your neighbors, but if you won't lean that way, throw on a set of the metallic core magnaflow cats and call it a day.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, my neighbors hated me when i started my car with true duals with bullets dumped at 4am when i was going to work.

im sure after a while they will adjust, i live by train tracks and when people come over ad they ask how i can stand that sound, and i say "what sound?" then they say the sound from the train vibrating your whole ******* house.

just let them get use to it, they will get over it. and if they say something, tell them to give you the money for a new exhaust
Old 11-27-2006, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
screw ur neigbors. put the wrath of the devil in their hearts!!!! long live ls1!!!!!

Im running with a Y pipe thats open, nothing else just long tubes, and a dumped at the Y pipe.

I come home at in the morning all the time, needless to say they arent going to like it lol haha
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quieted mine down by going from dual exhaust with bullit cats and DynoMax straigth-thru's ... to ORY with Magnaflow catback. Quieted it down (at least inside the car). My neighbors don't notice a difference between the two, but, who cares they all drive BMW's, Mercedes, G35's and other crap.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Just got with a catted Y, you might loose 2 hp but you'll still have the gmmg sound, or screw them let them deal with it.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a tsp catted y and a borlamouth. Sounds deep and expensive, fairly quiet inside and deeeep outside. The only problem with this f*#king thing is how people come to have them. It starts out as a lid/loudmouth only car then you get headers and rather than selling the $380 catback you buy another $100 muffler...all so you can keep the mistake you already have...lol. Sorry...a little venting
Old 12-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
If I did dump the GMMG I would definitley go true duals. My friend just gave me the idea to add bullets to the Y-Pipe where cats would normally be, and maybe it would help also passing the soon-to-be visual emmisions test, with them lookin like cats in there. I thought of putting sweet thunders or power stick in the I-pipe that were stainless. But the inner diameter is too small. I guess I will try the bullets in the Y-pipe, if I don't like it I'll spend some coin to do true duals or back to the ORY.
Hey thats a good idea... I have high flow cats now but the **** still so loud, it sounds like i have no cats. I wonder if i would lose much hp with bullets to the Y
Old 12-25-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I should have the bullets in there shortly. The cops in my area have been nice enough to write me 3 tickets for $71 each for having excessively loud exhaust. I am not too upset about it because i covered the cost by denying them my $500 donation I send in to the PBA every year. Everyone here is shocked at how bad they are busting my *****. I have been pulled over more times in the past month since moving to this area than I have in the previous 7 years. My wife and I are already considering moving. I guess there aren't enough crackheads in the ghetto across the street so they have to bust my chops.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Half you guys are damned ********. "oh, I leave at 4am and wake everyone on the whole street up when I crank my car.... haha and it is my right to do that and they will just have to deal with it" What is that? It just gives fbody owners a bad name.

If you own a street car, keep the cats on it. You might loose 5hp with a more conservative exhaust, but the world is always about compromises, and I think it is your responsibility as a higher life form to at least be considerate of those around you. It makes me wonder the age of most the people in this thread...
Old 12-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hype
Half you guys are damned ********. "oh, I leave at 4am and wake everyone on the whole street up when I crank my car.... haha and it is my right to do that and they will just have to deal with it" What is that? It just gives fbody owners a bad name.

If you own a street car, keep the cats on it. You might loose 5hp with a more conservative exhaust, but the world is always about compromises, and I think it is your responsibility as a higher life form to at least be considerate of those around you. It makes me wonder the age of most the people in this thread...
You sound like a biter old lady that needs to be driving a Buick.

Thats just my .02 though..
I personally have a little more respect for the my neighbor's. If i had to use the car eveyday or leave early or come home late id slap on a muffler and an electric cut out asap.
But your still a ***** for attacking everyone else.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hell, all my neighbors are cool and LOVE my car loud ... always tell me how much they like to hear me come and go. If it's real early morning or late at night, I try to sorta' creep in and out.
In the daytime, most of them ask me to see the front end come off the ground ... of course, I don't live in a ritzy-shitzy neighborhood either. If my neighbors were ********, I wouldn't give **** if I woke them up or not, espaeically if I waved frequently and they acted snobbish and never would wave back.
No worries about that, though. As I said, all my neighbors are cool.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

my neighbors hate mine and bitch all the time. so when i leave at 1 in the morning i floor it down my street that really pisses them off. but i wouldnt do it if they wernt *** holes

Quick Reply: How do I shut up my exhaust without losing power?