Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased Ebay Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
if you do have XS headers, just must see that the cheapness in price doesn't neccessarily mean cheapness in the quality. you can see that the flange is one of the thickist out there as the welds are superpurb as well

no all people cut the emissions off (myself being one of them) and eitherways the addition on any LT is going to consequate to a new Y-Pipe or True Dual system. why not go custom in the first place? with these XS you can get a complete custom true dual setup (including the headers) for the same amount as your QTP's
I understand your argument about price...that is why I bought them in the first place. As far as quality, there I have to differ. While the flange is indeed "thick", I have never heard of SW/Kooks/QTP headers having problems in that area, so that is a mute point. The welds are indeed pretty, but how they will hold up is still up in the air. As of now, I have about 3,000 miles on them with no major problems so far...knock on wood!

I guess I am different, I view quality in many different dimensions. One of the major factors is function. How much engineering and research does anyone actually think went into these headers. I can answer that...none. They bought a set of headers and copied them. Hell, they didn't even copy a good set. If I were making a copy, I would have copied the best. Then, to top it all off, they couldn't even get the departure angle from the engine in the same horizontal plane. Passanger's side is level while the driver's side points upward. If they couldn't get the basics right, what are the chances that they will produce the same horsepower gains as a well engineered and designed set of headers? While some people don't really care about horsepower/torque gains, that is the sole reason I am in the game and I just don't like the idea of my leaving horsepower on the table just to save a buck or two.

The saying goes that quality is remembered long after price is forgotten. I started forgetting price when I was under my car for over 2 hours grinding on the block/starter trying to get the header to fit just to have to pull the header back out to bang on it with a hammer to get any clearance at all. After this, more memory of money saved went out the window when I looked at how the driver's side points directly at the crossbrace. Just remembering all the headache makes me want to grab a beer!

Galen
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to buy the XS headers on friday but i have been thinking about how big of a PITA they will be. I went to an exhaust shop to get a quote for a custom y pipe and they quoted me roughly 300. After its all said and done i will have about 700-750 invested in these headers.(headers,custom ory,gaskets) And i'm changing plugs/wires

So i just decided to go with pacesetters because i dont want to deal with the hassles of these headers and the y-pipe issue.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I was going to buy the XS headers on friday but i have been thinking about how big of a PITA they will be. I went to an exhaust shop to get a quote for a custom y pipe and they quoted me roughly 300. After its all said and done i will have about 700-750 invested in these headers.(headers,custom ory,gaskets) And i'm changing plugs/wires

So i just decided to go with pacesetters because i dont want to deal with the hassles of these headers and the y-pipe issue.
Jet Hot Y pipe works its 230 shipped from WS6 store
Old 12-06-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tainted
Jet Hot Y pipe works its 230 shipped from WS6 store
Ok thanks. I look into it. So is it for sure that this y-pipe will bolt right up?
I know HotWhip T/A had it but is there anyone else that has used the jet hot?

Sorry for all the questions. I just dont want to waste any money if i dont have to.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok thanks. I look into it. So is it for sure that this y-pipe will bolt right up?
I know HotWhip T/A had it but is there anyone else that has used the jet hot?

Sorry for all the questions. I just dont want to waste any money if i dont have to.

my parents got it for me for x mas and has a little s bend in it to clear the floorboards for the slightly angeled drivers side header. the e-bays are an exact copy of hooker super competition ehaders btw folks, look at pics and compare them.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

I went to an exhaust shop to get a quote for a custom y pipe and they quoted me roughly 300
no custom y-pipe should cost more than $200... go search some more

are you doing an ORY or Catted-Y?
ORY - Should MUCH even be cheaper than $200
Catted-Y - buy some cheap hi-flow cats (no more than $80 total), then welding and custom catted-y should be around $200 or less
Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was 200 and the guy reused the Y part from the TSP ORY. Not everywhere is as cheap as areas like California or Texas where there will be a ton of exhaust places. I remember when people on here were telling me to expect to pay at the most $100.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

no custom y-pipe should cost more than $200... go search some more

are you doing an ORY or Catted-Y?
ORY - Should MUCH even be cheaper than $200
Catted-Y - buy some cheap hi-flow cats (no more than $80 total), then welding and custom catted-y should be around $200 or less
It is going to be ORY and i thought it should be $200. I have another shop i need to go to so i'll see what they say. I need to get this done soon tho. I want to order LT's be friday or saturday.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
bcs
Staging Lane

Have you looked at the Edelbrocks? $399 and Y-pipe is $100
Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bcs
Have you looked at the Edelbrocks? $399 and Y-pipe is $100
No i havent....i didnt know they were priced that low.

The pacesetter/tsp ory is 500 with free shipping.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

The pacesetter/tsp ory is 500 with free shipping.
that's damn good... can't go wrong there
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

that's damn good... can't go wrong there
I know thats what i thought. I will order this on friday. I also like the fact that it comes with accesories, i dont have to buy everything individually.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

dremel....Y-pipe that drops down a bit, then goes back=worth saving the money for Stainless headers. Dude their tig welded...theyll be fine

honestly...im tired of waiting for the Y-pipe, so im just going to run some short pipes off the headers with some bullet mufflers till its done hahahahhaha
Old 12-07-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

honestly...im tired of waiting for the Y-pipe, so im just going to run some short pipes off the headers with some bullet mufflers till its done hahahahhaha

Ditto.

Ill probably go to my favorite transmission shop (which just bought a bender for exhaust) and make myself some tubing. The owner was my highschool engineering teacher, and he said Im welcome to come down and get tubing (up to 8' sections) and bend it AT COST. I might be able to make a copy or two.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

with these XS you can get a complete custom true dual setup (including the headers) for the same amount as your QTP's
...and with that reply, this thread has earned a lockdown. I guess you didn't read the damn thread I posted about not comparing ebay headers with sponsor-sold products?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/615045-ebay-headers-please-read.html