Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to remove rasp

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
running a y-pipe setup on an aluminum block with a wacky firing order, being completely unwilling to run cats THEN bitching about rasp...well, you may as well shoot yourself in the foot while we're on the subject of pointless and bad things to do.
Running W/O cat's and complaining about rasp is kinda like routing your exhaust into your passenger compartment and then asking how you can get rid of the fumes...

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-17-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what the funniest part of this thread is, i'm guessing the near one word replies in poor english "no cats" no reason why not or even asking for proof that cats dont loose power etc.

Srsly deal or listen to what advice is being laid out for you.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man choco, your pretty relentless. give it up man he doesnt like cats- nor do i really. i type alittle list for reasons why people might not like cats-
1 weight. i think my stockers weighed more then my whole catback...y pipe included...
2 kinda $ for a component that actually takes away alil hp.for the purpose of a slightly more pleasant exhaust note. i rather have the performance some people pay 500$ myself included for 15 rwhp... why take away from my hard spent money.
3 "why would i wanna buy cats when i just ripped off a crappy pair, that i probly cant even sell "
4 more work unless you got them ordered in with the y pipe
5 he's running cutouts so thats alot of complication to his setup if he added cats.
6 some people just dont like the idea of cats.
7 no reason there absolutely needed on a car.
8 and this is the biggest and best reason- for some reason he doesnt want to run cats. that should be reason enough for you.
9 its considered more of a badass car without cats.
10 im out of idea's but i think 9's enough, i might not of even got his particular reason for not wanting them..

also not everyone takes there car to the shop, to let other people do there dirty work ...... and something as easy as a bullet install should be done at home imo.if you have a welder and grinder that is.. so really if he can do it he's only buying a bullet and 30 minutes of his time... if that.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
1 weight. i think my stockers weighed more then my whole catback...y pipe included... OK this I get and understand but are you that much a weight *****? If your car has a radio still in this I have to call that a moot point then about the weight, least I can understand it.
2 kinda $ for a component that actually takes away alil hp.for the purpose of a slightly more pleasant exhaust note. i rather have the performance some people pay 500$ myself included for 15 rwhp... why take away from my hard spent money. The op is griping about the sound, while you and others might not care he wants his cake and to eat it too.
3 "why would i wanna buy cats when i just ripped off a crappy pair, that i probly cant even sell " I honestly don't follow this, and isn't it illegel to resell cats?
4 more work unless you got them ordered in with the y pipe True but working on cars is part of the game or you just take it to the shop, and compared to an LT install welding in cats is pie.
5 he's running cutouts so thats alot of complication to his setup if he added cats. Very true, I agree to this.
6 some people just dont like the idea of cats. What why... argh I'd love to hear that reasoning, thats like saying the color blue sucks why you don't like something with out reasoning is just beyond me.
7 no reason there absolutely needed on a car. LOL, been to LA latley?
8 and this is the biggest and best reason- for some reason he doesnt want to run cats. that should be reason enough for you. Ok I will agree if hes dead set on it show him the best option and he did said try a dual setup.
9 its considered more of a badass car without cats. If ******* a 10 year old boy was cool would you do it? Pardon my crudeness but you see what i'm saying. If you ask me nothing is better then passing smog with flying colors then beating up on everything that shows up at the track.
10 im out of idea's but i think 9's enough, i might not of even got his particular reason for not wanting them..
I just counter pointed a few things you said no offence meant, i just don't quite follow your reasoning with everything.

I bolded my comment/questions for ease of reading
Old 01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

none taken.

its not all my reasoning^ things i have heard or read about people not liking cats with a few of my own .

dont know why people wouldnt just not like cats, but we all know there are those people- with everything, there like a bull no telling it whats what...
also never been to cali so it doesnt bother me, haha way too many laws in that sate- i would really hate to live there..

i didnt know it was illegal to resell cats.. whats the reason behind that?? kind of odd. see there is the proof to that reason - no money back for the cats you already had/have...

the cool factor, idk where that comes from but i have certainly seen people bragging about gutting the cats or removing them etc. kind of a **** you mr.authority thing i guess.especially in the rice arena..

i was actually thinking of buying cats- just the extra $ for something with no benifit to me- i decided no (and that they aren't availible in 3.5" lol......)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm gonna do the same thing as Ace.

1 weight. i think my stockers weighed more then my whole catback...y pipe included...
this is ridiculous IMO. do you still have your air conditioning? radio? do you drive with your spare tire and jack? do you have greater than 16" rims? do you have the stock hood? if you have any of these, you're not too worried about weight reduction. cats adding weight is really ridiculous IMO. unless it's an all out drag car, the weight of cats won't matter, especially the 7" or 8" bullet cats i'm recommending.
2 kinda $ for a component that actually takes away alil hp.for the purpose of a slightly more pleasant exhaust note. i rather have the performance some people pay 500$ myself included for 15 rwhp... why take away from my hard spent money.
money is a ridiculous issue when you're willing to weld a bullet into your I-pipe. EVERYTHING costs money, so cats costing money is no excuse. the difference is ~$100 from adding a bullet to your I-pipe to putting 2 cats in your y-pipe. if that little bit of money is that important, you need to buy an econo car and quit modding all together. your priorities aren't in order. if you don't wanna spend the money to fix it, DON'T BITCH.
3 "why would i wanna buy cats when i just ripped off a crappy pair, that i probly cant even sell "
this makes no sense. he didn't rip anything off. he simply ordered an ORY instead of a catted-y. now he's paying the price.
4 more work unless you got them ordered in with the y pipe
more work? doing ANYTHING is more work. this is not an excuse.
5 he's running cutouts so thats alot of complication to his setup if he added cats.
he's running A cutout, most likely in his I-pipe. that means that there is absolutely no more work involved since the cats get welded into his Y-pipe, not his I-pipe.
6 some people just dont like the idea of cats.
some people are just plain stupid. this isn't an excuse. ALL cars come with and require cats. don't like the idea of cats? don't own a car.
7 no reason there absolutely needed on a car.
um, cats are required by federal law in every state on every car. it doesn't matter if you don't have state inspection, if you're pulled over and caught without cats, you pay a heavy fine. i think what you meant to say is "there is absolutely no reason why cats shouldn't be on a street car".
8 and this is the biggest and best reason- for some reason he doesnt want to run cats. that should be reason enough for you.
this isn't a reason at all. he gave no explanation other than he doesn't want to spend the money, yet he'll spend nearly as much money putting a bullet in his I-pipe? ohh, i guess he wants to use that free method of removing rasp. what's that again? please, tell me, i'd LOVE to know
9 its considered more of a badass car without cats.
how? you won't be any slower and it'll make your exhaust sound better, plus girls will like your car better because it doesn't smell like gasoline. so let's recap: better sound, same performance, more girls. how is it a more manly car with cats to me.
none of them were even remotely usable as an excuse. i may be relentless, but it's only when people are about to do something ridiculous. there is no point to not running cats.
also not everyone takes there car to the shop, to let other people do there dirty work ...... and something as easy as a bullet install should be done at home imo.if you have a welder and grinder that is.. so really if he can do it he's only buying a bullet and 30 minutes of his time... if that.
if you can remove your I-pipe and weld a bullet into it, you can remove your y-pipe and weld cats into it. it's just pipe. there's no reason why you can do one and not the other.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
1) get some cats

2) buy an LT1
Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

choco is one of those bulls..... econo car? now your getting personal choco i consider that highly offensive. your the one with the closer to being econo car... i atleast got some real mods, that i actually installed myself. moving your cats is also against the law so long tube's are illegal how many people on this site break the law everyday then ? or how many imports break that law(99% guttet removed etc) do you beleive thats a great law that benifits everyone? i sure dont see the benifit.

for the wieght reduction yes i have ac(yes even on a convertable- it helps) yes i have a radio what you think i dont like music?? no i dont have a spare tire or jack or carpet or plastic molding in my truck.i also even cut off excess silicone or w/e it is between the panels... no i dont have front bumper reinforcement.or the metal peice behind it.no i dont currently have a washer fluid tank(making one / a small one) no i dont have egr. no i dont have a.i.r. . no i dont have k member braces anymore. no i dont have rear seats( i hate rear passengers in my car-it bottoms out anyway) hmm what else.. no i dont have the convertable frame brace(wasnt even there when i bought the car actually?) no i dont have any bolt in my car that is not securing something(removed alot actually) no i dont have a gas tank heat sheil or a over axle heat sheild.(for installing racetronix fuel pump, just decided not to reinstall- as my exhaust is not going over the axle or under the gas tank anymore) yes i have converted steel parts on my car to aluminum. yes i plan to take my car to acto and englishtown... yes i hope to get a fast e.t. and yes i d/d my car about .5 miles to work etc. everyday. your reasoning is just as rediculous as the ones i have listed laws or not... you got an answer to my 3.5 size cats?? because i might even run them if availible.. i was just putting out what might be his reason's.

hounding someone isnt going to make them want to get cats. and given as i look on both sides of the fence i thought id write down a few example's of reasons, didnt say they were the best reasons ever but still enough to change someone's mind who actually thinks about there purchases. you act as if your gonna die if someone else doesnt run cats on there car.. that you will most likely never even see.(unless he lives in nj too or something lol) but i never seen your car we live in the same state (i think)..
Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

... cats are your best answer. if you don't want to go cats, you will simply always have some rasp. your only option is to rip off the catback and run true duals. that's the ONLY way you'll ever get rid of the rasp without running cats other than running the super quiet SLP dual/dual catback. ... putting a bullet in the I-pipe is like trying to put out a house fire with a squirt gun.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Tech Resident

choco is one of those bulls..... econo car? now your getting personal choco i consider that highly offensive. your the one with the closer to being econo car... i atleast got some real mods, that i actually installed myself.
i wasn't talking about you. i was referring to the OP. he wants to remove rasp from his car but he isn't willing to spend any money to do so, so i advised him to get an econo car if he doesn't want to spend money on it. buying an LS1 equipped car is a poor start if you don't want to spend money on your car.

as for not doing the mods myself, the corsa catback and lid were on it when i bought it and i put the FTRA in myself. i don't have access to a welder, so obviously, i didn't put the cutout on. i don't see what else i could have done to the car, and moreover, who cares who put the parts on? must be nice to have a lot of time to yourself.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

without cats, you won't get it rid of all rasp. It sounds to me like he wants the raspy/blatty sound, just not as intense as it is now
Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm gonna do the same thing as Ace.

this is ridiculous IMO. do you still have your air conditioning? radio? do you drive with your spare tire and jack? do you have greater than 16" rims? do you have the stock hood? if you have any of these, you're not too worried about weight reduction. cats adding weight is really ridiculous IMO. unless it's an all out drag car, the weight of cats won't matter, especially the 7" or 8" bullet cats i'm recommending.

money is a ridiculous issue when you're willing to weld a bullet into your I-pipe. EVERYTHING costs money, so cats costing money is no excuse. the difference is ~$100 from adding a bullet to your I-pipe to putting 2 cats in your y-pipe. if that little bit of money is that important, you need to buy an econo car and quit modding all together. your priorities aren't in order. if you don't wanna spend the money to fix it, DON'T BITCH.

this makes no sense. he didn't rip anything off. he simply ordered an ORY instead of a catted-y. now he's paying the price.

more work? doing ANYTHING is more work. this is not an excuse.

he's running A cutout, most likely in his I-pipe. that means that there is absolutely no more work involved since the cats get welded into his Y-pipe, not his I-pipe.

some people are just plain stupid. this isn't an excuse. ALL cars come with and require cats. don't like the idea of cats? don't own a car.

um, cats are required by federal law in every state on every car. it doesn't matter if you don't have state inspection, if you're pulled over and caught without cats, you pay a heavy fine. i think what you meant to say is "there is absolutely no reason why cats shouldn't be on a street car".

this isn't a reason at all. he gave no explanation other than he doesn't want to spend the money, yet he'll spend nearly as much money putting a bullet in his I-pipe? ohh, i guess he wants to use that free method of removing rasp. what's that again? please, tell me, i'd LOVE to know

how? you won't be any slower and it'll make your exhaust sound better, plus girls will like your car better because it doesn't smell like gasoline. so let's recap: better sound, same performance, more girls. how is it a more manly car with cats to me.

none of them were even remotely usable as an excuse. i may be relentless, but it's only when people are about to do something ridiculous. there is no point to not running cats.

if you can remove your I-pipe and weld a bullet into it, you can remove your y-pipe and weld cats into it. it's just pipe. there's no reason why you can do one and not the other.

haha did you seriously just counter all of his points that kicked your ***? Duse go do somehting other then post op on the site
Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is going downhill fast, but I will just the same...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by blacksskid07
haha did you seriously just counter all of his points that kicked your ***? Duse go do somehting other then post op on the site
his points made absolutely no sense. this is exactly why you haven't given a reason why you don't want to run cats - you have none. there is absolutely no good reason why not to run cats.

i'll tell you what, you give me a reason why you don't wanna run cats that actually makes sense and i'll understand. just know that no matter what you do, you'll never get rid of your rasp since you're not willing to fix the problem, making this thread inherently useless

if boxer's kicked *** like the points he made, no one would watch boxing because no one would get hurt.
Originally Posted by JohnnyC
This thread is going downhill fast, but I will just the same...
it's been going downhill since the first post. you'll never fix a problem when you're not willing to do what's necessary.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I have slp duall/dual!!!! It sounds great with LT's and no cats!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

a bullet can fix the rasp, not always I went from slp dual duals to true duals so it wasn't on my car, but a friend of mine is running kooks headers with ory bullet muffler and borla cat back, no rasp. If you don't even have half the setup, don't comment. and if you need your car to get girls, then your just pathetic.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

I used to have a SLP LM, TSP ORY, Pacesetter cermaic coated LTs.

Lots of rasp lets rate the rasp at 80 and loudness at 90

After I installed my Dynomax Bullet Muffler, rasp is only down to a 60 and the sound is slightly deeper and barely lower at 85 - 90 still....

The bullet will barely cut down your rasp, but you will notice a difference. and now I can live with it, more than with the LM1 resonator...

However, the only way is a chambered muffer or cats. You dont want cats, so get a chambered muffler

As for true duls eliminating rasp, how the hell would that eliminate rasp? acan any one tell me?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
I used to have a SLP LM, TSP ORY, Pacesetter cermaic coated LTs.

Lots of rasp lets rate the rasp at 80 and loudness at 90

After I installed my Dynomax Bullet Muffler, rasp is only down to a 60 and the sound is slightly deeper and barely lower at 85 - 90 still....

The bullet will barely cut down your rasp, but you will notice a difference. and now I can live with it, more than with the LM1 resonator...

However, the only way is a chambered muffer or cats. You dont want cats, so get a chambered muffler

As for true duls eliminating rasp, how the hell would that eliminate rasp? acan any one tell me?
the "machine gun rasp" is created in the y-pipe.

no y-pipe, no rasp.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
]
a couple things. eliminating the y-pipe will take away a lot of the rasp because the sides of the y-pipe are unequal. the exhaust gases travel further from one side of the motor to the other, then meet at an imperfect merge. both these things mean that the y-pipe itself creates a lot of rasp. going to true duals will get rid of that component of the rasp since it doesn't take gases from the cylinders traveling at unequal length and shove them into an imperfect merge in a single piece of pipe.

also, a lot of the rasp is caused by the LS1 itself. the LS1 has a wacky firing order. the LS1's firing order is, i believe, 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. the order that the cylinder's fire in causes rasp. going to true duals will only take into account 4 cylinders per each pipe instead of all 8 cylinders going into 1 single pipe. since only 4 cylinders are being taken into account, that will cut down on some of the rasp, also.

true duals aren't perfect. sweet thunders are kinda raspy IMO, but true duals in general are the best chance you'll get at limiting rasp on the LS1. it may not be gone 100%, but it's certainly less raspy than anything a y-pipe setup can get you.

wow, i did not write that so well excuse my awful grammar, i can't think so well right now
Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

choco why dont you go hug some trees and stay out of this thread LMAO

you really think half of us give a rats *** about "legalities" ROTFLMAO... go drive your stock car around while we enjoy or nitrous sprayin huge cammed huge cubed enviroment polluting wheel spinnin chick gettin bad *** mother ****** rides while you chill and watch us in jealousy because you dont have the nuts to mod your car..

haha i really dont mean any of what i just posted.. but i got on a roll and couldnt stop and couldnt delete it cause its just such a bad *** comment hahahah

btw.. my bullet mufflers from summit were 22 dollars a piece and i installed them myself on my dual duals

cats suck.. plain and simple.. im not going to spend 200 bux on something that will COST me power. plus i love the way my gas fumes smell

Quick Reply: best way to remove rasp