Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

risk of descreening the MAF

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default risk of descreening the MAF

what are the risks of takin the screen off? would it help if i was to take it off? thanks
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

benefits of descreening a MAF:

- 0 rwhp. the stock MAF is good to AT LEASt 500 horsepower. there is absolutely no point in descreening it.

possible downsides of descreening a MAF:

- screwed up air/fuel ratio
- decreased gas mileage
- the MAF screen is known to actually catch particles from entering the engine. do you like chunks of **** getting in your cylinders?

there is absolutely NO POINT in descreening a MAF sensor. all it will do is **** with your air/fuel ratio and lead to a dirtier engine. don't do it. it's pointless. there is nothing to gain and plenty to lose. the MAF sensor is something you just don't mess with.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Please step away from the MAF sensor...
Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

I've de-screened many of my rides. Never have had any issues, and have always had the same mileage etc. However, when I get them tuned I always get it tuned for no screen. Just seems like a reasonable thing to do. If you blow on the screen it definately disrupts the air. That being said, I have no dyno data to say that it really does anything, so I dont disagree with what he said ^ .. But if you actually get some crap big enough sucked into your air intake that the screen actuallys tops it, you are driving is some bad stuff. The holes in that screen are pretty big. Big enough that I would'nt call the things it catches "particles". At any rate...its probably a VERY minimal gain if any, so if you are hesitant, just dont do it.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After doing some studying, the only good reason that I can see to descreen a MAF is to spray a dry shot of nitrous.

I wouldn't do it for any other reason.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
After doing some studying, the only good reason that I can see to descreen a MAF is to spray a dry shot of nitrous.

I wouldn't do it for any other reason.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

i descreaned my maf.. but then again my car has an SD tune
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
benefits of descreening a MAF:

- 0 rwhp. the stock MAF is good to AT LEASt 500 horsepower. there is absolutely no point in descreening it.

possible downsides of descreening a MAF:

- screwed up air/fuel ratio
- decreased gas mileage
- the MAF screen is known to actually catch particles from entering the engine. do you like chunks of **** getting in your cylinders?

there is absolutely NO POINT in descreening a MAF sensor. all it will do is **** with your air/fuel ratio and lead to a dirtier engine. don't do it. it's pointless. there is nothing to gain and plenty to lose. the MAF sensor is something you just don't mess with.
There are dyno proof that there are HP gains on !screen MAF, just do search. Although there is also someone has dyno before and after results of !screen MAF and lose 2 rwhp again do a search. I don't know how controlled is the guy's comparison. !screen MAF is still "STOCK" MAF, just w/o a well screen, duh. If you're finding chunks of debris on your MAF screeen, you have seal problem on your lid it has nothing to do w/ screen being put there. Screen MAF was design to straighten airflow but restricts air at the same time. Again, w/ dirtier engine comment, the screen wasn't design to trap dirt nor debri. A/F is a hit or miss issue, some do, some don't have that problem. I don't. If you do well, you can tune the bitch. There are alot of people here have taken their screen off and have gains or no gains but don't get sway w/ people here that has no remotely experienced of what they're talking about just a hear say and preach about it to the T.

FYI, I have descreened mine and polished my MAF, my car pulls harder and I have no issues. Some go a little more extreme than I do, they port/polish the MAF and some claim gains and some well get issues. Its pretty much your call, its your car.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Mine has been descreened since 2001 with zero issues. Didn't the LS6s come with no screen from the factory?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

Default maf

thanks for the information..i appreciate it
Old 12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by bene
There are dyno proof that there are HP gains on !screen MAF, just do search. Although there is also someone has dyno before and after results of !screen MAF and lose 2 rwhp again do a search.
are you serious? there is also dyno proof that dynoing the same car twice in the span of 5 minutes produces different rwhp amounts. you can't call a 2rwhp improvement in dyno numbers a gain. dynos are the biggest liars. go ahead, dyno your car 10 times. the numbers will be different by a bit every time.

****, dyno your car on two different days. you can pick up 10rwhp dynoing your car in july and then in december.

and there is no way you can tell your car pulls harder by descreening and "polishing" your MAF. if you feel it, it's all in your head. you can't base an argument on the butt dyno and 2rwhp dyno differences.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
are you serious? there is also dyno proof that dynoing the same car twice in the span of 5 minutes produces different rwhp amounts. you can't call a 2rwhp improvement in dyno numbers a gain. dynos are the biggest liars. go ahead, dyno your car 10 times. the numbers will be different by a bit every time.

****, dyno your car on two different days. you can pick up 10rwhp dynoing your car in july and then in december.

and there is no way you can tell your car pulls harder by descreening and "polishing" your MAF. if you feel it, it's all in your head. you can't base an argument on the butt dyno and 2rwhp dyno differences.
I can tell you failed reading comprehension. Why don't you read my comment again, this time s l o w l y so your brain can catch up w/ your mouth when you're reading it out loud. I never said anything about GAINING 2 rwhp. I even said I doubted the guy's dyno comparison.

As far as my polished/descreened MAF, I've raced someone w/ LS1 fbody w/ screen MAF w/ identical mods like mine and well I pulled on him multiple times. I'm not saying I pulled him like a freight train and put bus lengths but did pulled half a car. Not a hear say, but an experienced.

Last edited by bene; 12-09-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bene
I can tell you failed reading comprehension. Why don't you read my comment again, this time s l o w l y so your brain can catch up w/ your mouth when you're reading it out loud. I never said anything about GAINING 2 rwhp. I even said I doubted the guy's dyno comparison.

As far as my polished/descreened MAF, I've raced someone w/ LS1 fbody w/ screen MAF w/ identical mods like mine and well I pulled on him multiple times. I'm not saying I pulled him like a freight train and put bus lengths but did pulled half a car. Not a hear say, but an experienced.
Half a car length, that's like, NOTHING. Each car is an individual vehicle, and responds to mods differently. I'm so sure that his MAF screen was the only thing that allowed you to pull a HALF A CAR on him.

As others have stated, the stock MAF is fine to 500 rwhp, excepting the example I gave, if one is using a dry nitrous system.

Descreening the MAF is not suggested for several reasons, most listed above.

-the screen serves to smooth the airflow over the resistors, giving a MORE ACCURATE reading.

-A4's have been known to have problems after the MAF was descreened. This is one reason that I haven't done it.

-Fooling with sensors is generally a bad idea, considering how much your PCM depends on them to correctly meter air/fuel mixtures, timing curves, etc... This is why the results are non-existent/hit or miss...

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but a descreened MAF is going to make zero difference in the performance of the car in the grand scheme of things, and there are too many factors in the equation. I say if it makes no real difference, and there is a risk that something may screw up, just leave it alone.

I'm done with this thread.

Originally Posted by Nineball
Someone please lock this thread before the stupid leaks out...
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Aftermarket lids don't always seal as well as they should. I couldn't believe all the crap on my screen last time I pulled it. Reason enough right there for me to leave it alone - even after reworking my lid for a better seal.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

What is it with you guys and thinking the screen somehow filters the air??? Guess what, if there was crap on your screen...there was crap on your MAF elements, as well as everything else farther up the intake tract. AGAIN..I am not vouching that de-screening equals a power gain, in fact I would probably vote to keep it in, but come on guys...it isnt there to keep dirt and dust out. Its there to "smooth" the air, but how well it does that is debatable. Furthermore if you have never de-screened a car and experienced it first hand, dont give input as to how it wont do anything....and if you are affraid to do something to your car because of what you "COULD" mess up...you might as well quit the hobby.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
and if you are affraid to do something to your car because of what you "COULD" mess up...you might as well quit the hobby.
Dude, I'm sorry, but this has to be the dumbest thing I have heard on ls1tech in at least 3 months, and trust me, that's sayin' something.

You can mod your car perfectly safe as long as you do your research, ask questions, and apparently now you must decide between good and bad advice.......to say you should quit the hobby unless you want to risk damaging your car is just stupid.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

think about it... GM dosent sit around and say "how can we put pointless stuff on our cars so that 18 year old kids can figure out how to remove it" stuff is there for a reason.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Oh you must be one of those guys that thinks because you read all the books, and did all the research, nothing can go wrong. I think you trumped me there pal. You think if you research all day long and then do an LT install, none of the bolts can break? Give me a ******* break man. I wasnt saying mod without research, I was saying there is inherent risk in every mod we do. Things can go wrong, I dont care how many manuals are on your shelf. I say this with %110 confidence because I have worked in dealer shops and even the top techs can get in some trouble. So next time you decide to call me stupid, why dont you try to see what I was saying. You cant be affraid that something could go wrong..anyone that has worked on cars for any period of time already knows that things can and WILL happen, no matter how good or careful you are or how much research you do. Even though my post probably just pissed you off, you have to agree with that.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
What is it with you guys and thinking the screen somehow filters the air???
Uhh ... there was stuff on the screen because it was too large to get past it.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry. Didnt mean to bite your head off. Was just trying to say thats not what it was intended for, but I guess in your case, it effectively did so. Two 69 GTO's??? Damn you suck. LOL