Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header + Duals Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header + Duals Issue

Hey everyone. I just got done with an LT header and TSP true dual install on my car. First off it was a bitch and a half to do. It took two full days to complete. The first major issue is that when I try and start my car now it doesnt want to start. Sometimes it will start right away, but others it will struggle and die unless I give it a ton of gas to get it started. After it starts theres no problem in the way it runs. I didnt move the fuel lines so could the exhaust being to close to them be a possible problem???

The second problem I have is that I did jump on the band wagon and buy the ebay headers. They went in pretty well, just had to grind the block a little, but the collector on the drivers side is pushed up so far that its almost touching the floor of the car. Is there any way to fix this besides getting a custom piece put in?

The third problem which I kind of know the answer to is the entire car vibrating when i go over 2k rpm. I know this is because theyre dumpped and need to be run out the back but any other ways to eliminate it would be welcome. Other than that it went pretty well and the only SES codes are from the AIR and EGR not being in. Ive tried searching for these answers but came up dry so if there is a thread just point me in the right direction and it would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:11 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cutting/welding the header is about the only way to fix the problem. I would have an exhaust shop see if they can put an ever-so-slight tweak on the collector before I tried to install them though.

Why didn't you flip the fuel lines if you knew about it? I doubt this is your starting problem, but I would want them as far away as possible.

Dumped TSP duals are going to vibrate, you'll get used to it and not notice after a few hundred miles though. When I first got them, I immediately wanted to take them off, but they grew on me.

I would go through a few drive cycles before I worried about the starting issues. My friends ran like DEATH after his install.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

I read about the collector but honestly didnt think it was going to be that tight, so I decided to just go with it. Its not so bad. It only vibrates when I really get on it. The only reason that we didnt switch the fuel lines was that we compleatly forgot till after they were all done and the car was lowered back down. Its going back up in about a week to make sure that everythings cool down below so ill probably do it then. Is there any saftey risk to them not being flipped?
Old 12-11-2006, 12:48 AM
12 Second Club

i say its the computer leaning the new mods it if it doen't go away in a few drive cylcles something is up. as for he hibrating it could be the header since you said it was almost touching the floor but its probly the dumped duals.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

How did you connect the duals to it if the collector is angled up on the drivers side?

There's really no way to 'fix' it, the only thing you can do is make a special connector that connects the collector to the rest of the exhaust...but if you are already running you have already done that I presume.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, we didnt put any other pieces on than what came with the duals. We just twisted and angled it so that it fits w/ less than half an inch clearance. Its not really that big of a deal, just hits the floor under wot and sacraficed a lot of ground clearance. Im a lot more worried about thenot starting problem
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Lol Maybe I'll be going with Pacesetters after all
Old 12-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

Has the starting problem improved since (after let it have time to relearn idle)?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are in any way objected to having some rattles, you shouldnt have gone with a dumped system, or at least run 'em out the back. I don't wanna sound like a dick, but it's definitely a barrier of entry which many don't wish to endure. For a temp fix, angle the dumps outward, that should help! Don't feel bad, my car bangs at IDLE, I would suggest some poly mounts (you're probably better off yanking the headers, sad to say). I have seen pics of pipes less than HALF an inch away from the body, and no banging. As for the starting issue, my old LT1 had the same starting issue, check your pressure regulator. Replaced it and the car started better than ever. Good luck man, go flip the fuel lines if you're bored, can't hurt

-J
Old 12-12-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Hey everyone. I just got done with an LT header and TSP true dual install on my car. First off it was a bitch and a half to do. It took two full days to complete. The first major issue is that when I try and start my car now it doesnt want to start. Sometimes it will start right away, but others it will struggle and die unless I give it a ton of gas to get it started. After it starts theres no problem in the way it runs. I didnt move the fuel lines so could the exhaust being to close to them be a possible problem???

The second problem I have is that I did jump on the band wagon and buy the ebay headers. They went in pretty well, just had to grind the block a little, but the collector on the drivers side is pushed up so far that its almost touching the floor of the car. Is there any way to fix this besides getting a custom piece put in?

The third problem which I kind of know the answer to is the entire car vibrating when i go over 2k rpm. I know this is because theyre dumpped and need to be run out the back but any other ways to eliminate it would be welcome. Other than that it went pretty well and the only SES codes are from the AIR and EGR not being in. Ive tried searching for these answers but came up dry so if there is a thread just point me in the right direction and it would be appreciated. Thanks alot.
If you change to a better mounting setup, alot of the vibrations will disappear. The setups provided are cheap and well perform as such.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Bringing back an old thread. I havent been on in a while. The starting issue did clear up. It turned out that i forgot to plug the temp sensor (I think thats the sensor) back in on the drivers side infront of the header. As soon as I did that it never had a problem starting again.

I have gotten used to the dumpped duals and Im just trying to find a good shop to run the pipes out the back that wont charge a fortune. Im also going to get them to fab up an S piece that will fit on the drivers side header. That should clear up the prob w/ the floor board clearance.

V6 Bird, what are some of the other mounting setups are you talking about?