Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported MAF, My personal Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported MAF, My personal Experience

Today I got my ported MAF from 98jonws6. He is an awesome person to do business with. Here is my story.

I searched high and low for the infamous p0101 p0102 p0103 codes all dealing with the MAF sensor and a voltage reading. I replaced fuel filter, oil, plugs, wires, 02's good, no burned wires, nothing unplugged, battery and alternator good, new clutch fluid, new belt, cleaned IAC, and I cleaned the broken MAF and the TB. I have the idle issue where it would stall out or just fall on its face while driving. I could keep it running thanks to BLKW.6. He informed me that if gas can keep it running then it's more than likely an air problem. All those codes of low or high voltage with the MAF are starting to add up. So when I got my ported MAF from Jon, it was basically a hollow tube with a MAF wire setup in the middle. That thing was beautiful. I installed it and cleared the codes. Drove for 20 minutes are no SES yet. I don't know if my car is cured or was running so badly before but it runs a lot better now and seems like the motor is louder. I could tell a huge difference at WOT with the new MAF. My car pulled like never before and the throttle response was so crisp. The motor seemed to be louder. I'm not talking put your ear to it louder. I could hear a a difference at WOT. I no longer have the kinda jerky pulling at WOT or the damn idle problems (cross fingers). Again, if I was to say a SOTP then yes I could tell a big difference but I don't know if it's because I had a crappy MAF before and ran 3 weeks with it. I love this new MAF and don't care if it really gained HP but I feel a harder pull and a better throttle response at slow speeds. It looks just like a 80mm MAF size. Feel free to leave comments.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear you got your car running good.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you came up w/ good results on ported MAF.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so I drove about an hour last night with no SES. That light can make a man cry sometimes. Anyway, it definitely pulls SO much harder. I really can't believe it. I keep trying to convince my self that's its in my head but I know it's not. Even with my 315's, at wot it nows chirps 3rd. Didn't do that before. I'll go to the track Sunday and let yall know if theres an increase.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Banned

Interested to hear about the track results, congradulations on a successful installation of a ported MAF! When I went to a 85 mm MAF in my full bolton setup I noticed an increase in throttle response, even though everyone kept saying it was a placeebo effect...whatever I swear it picked up throttle response accross the rev range.

With a ported stock unit it might even flow better than a 85 mm MAF, because there is a lot of plastic in the 85mm piece. I don't know how much that restricts flow in relation to increasing airflow from the diameter but I bet it's a relevant comparison.

Oh and
Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your MAF was bad before and your SES light was on, its not a fair comparison, but thanks for playing
Old 12-14-2006, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

i got my car on saturday....went to the track on sunday ran a 13.8.........that same day my ses light came on went to autozone and got them to read it.....the MAF what screwed up and running my motor rich......well i ordered LM and SLP flo pack......thinking the more air flow would help........went to the track and ran a 13.5.....i was kinda pissed......so i ordered the slp maf.......it came in i ran to my house during break and got it........and put it on in the parking lot after work....i got in and took off....WOW it was night and day.......car pulled alot harder.....i went to the track and ran a 13.03.........then with new tires get my 12.76........
Old 12-14-2006, 12:34 PM
12 Second Club

ported mine and could not fell a difference. if your maf isn't working correctly and you replace it with a good one then yea its going to be night and day difference. just my opinion
Old 12-14-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Little dark but there's alot of metal gone.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Just so yall know what's going on...

When the MAF fails, the PCM reverts to a speed density method for fueling (like the 93 LT1's used). A bone stock car will run fairly well with this type of fueling as the VE table (Volumetric Efficiency) in the PCM was designed by the GM engineers around the stock parts being on the car. Mod and improve the breathing characteristics of the car and the fueling derived from this table becomes more inaccurate. But, that's not all. When the MAF fails, the PCM also reverts to a backup spark map/timing table. The backup timing table takes roughly 6~8 degrees of timing away from WOT and roughly 2~4 degrees of timing away from part throttle. The result is, the car feels really down on power.

So, when you replace a MAF because you have a P0101, P0102, or a P0103, the gain in performance you get back is mainly due to the fact that your timing has been raised back to where it was. The aspect of going from speed density back to a MAF-calculated method of fueling may have some effect as well depending on how much your car has been modded.

There are a couple stickies in the PCM section that describe this in a little more detail if yall are interested. But, beware...you might be bit by the tuning bug and have to pick up your own copy of EFI Live or HPTuners.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

thats looks good. better than mine.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

honestly its not worth it. lot of work for little gain. if anything it will cause stumble at idle, loss of mpg.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

i didn't see any problems doing it but didn't see any gains. i did it because i descreened for a dry shot and was bored and tried it.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned

Looks good
Old 12-14-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's alot of porting going on in it. I don't know if the car is back to normal but it does feel faster and not slightly faster. People say they feel 5-8hp. There is no way but I know it pulls harder. It also helps my shocks in dampering too
Old 12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
That's what she said...

You have very unique results. The odds are, that 90% of people will have problems with this. The MAF is a sensor, you wouldn't port your O2's would you?
Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you port an 02?! Tonight, write up, porting an 02 sensor increases exhaust back pressure resulting in 20 horsepowers to the wheel! Oh it's true.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Can you port an 02?! Tonight, write up, porting an 02 sensor increases exhaust back pressure resulting in 20 horsepowers to the wheel! Oh it's true.

The ported MAF did not give you this power increase. Read carefully post #10. The screen and the size do not pose a restriction considering the STOCK MOTOR.

The only thing this thread was good for is to confuse members who were already on the correct path, which is to not touch the damn thing.