Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are expensive wires worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default are expensive wires worth it?

i know the old saying "you get what you pay for" but im wondering if that applies to spark plug wires?

it seems rats/mice ate the boots off of my cheapo wires on my 440(BB mopar, not ls1). i need to get new wires and im debaiting weather or not i should spend the $100 bucks on summit for MSDs or should i just eat the $30-50 adn get the same cheapo wires. the car is in the middle of a restoration so i haveent driven the car long enough to get a feel for how the wires "act"

my question is should what is the difference between an expensive wire(MSD, jacobs, taylor etc.) vs. el cheapo autozone special.

where is the advantage in the more expensive wires. thanks guys.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a LS1 the wires are so short that MSD's and other brands really dont give alot of gains compared to workin OEM wires, but depending on how long they are they can make a difference.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

def. spend a little money here for less trouble down the road. the aftermarket (some are better then others. I Like taylor thundervolt) wires have a much thicker insulation around the wires, for better gaurd agains arcing. thats when the spark comes out of the wire and jumps to whatever steel is nearby. usually the headers/mannifolds. the other bennifit is much better materials for things like the contacts at either end. cheap contacts will corrode, and come off the wire when trying to remove the wires for whatever. and, quality wires will have stronger and better sealing boots against the sp plugs and dist. cap.

for the record, on the LSx engines, and using the stock coils, no need for upgrade for performance alone. the stockers are great. in my case, I have installed a couple sets of the coil relocation kits which move the coils to teh firewall for a much cleaner looking eng. bay and with teh added length, I highly recomend the thundervolts.