Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Look, Three primaries (the 1 & 3/4" diameter) are placed into position and welded. The last one is supposed to be a slip fit (.003" or .004" larger diameter than the female collector is a slip fit). The outside of the primary is welded on the 4th one and everyone is happy. Except for mine as it was over swedged! , I had a .030" gap on the slip fit which is outrageous. QTP said I had no idea what was up, and that it would swell up and seal. Yea, right!!.
There was a good thread on this subject but somehow it got deleted...
I had to get some 2400 degree header/manifold patch and repair my problem as QTP refused to help me. So far its held up.
You can buy at your own risk, I've still got to get a custom Y pipe.

Hope this helps.......
Huh? Do you have any pictures that you'd like to share? You're saying that where the collector slides over the primary tube is too big and also not welded?
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is wrong with the QTP y-pipe?
Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have there ORY and there headers. I love there headers and the y pipe went on easy for me. I have had it on and off now 10 times or so goes on great everytime. It hangs alil low but hey cant ask for everything

I really wish i gained 60hp my car must suck lol
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I had noticed that in the three sets I have seen and the two I installed. I can tell you that the set that is on my car is just fine in that area, and the other set, to my knowledge, is fine too.

I will say that I noticed the set that QTP replaced (on the other car) did have some weld issues on the velocity spike. It was like the weld was not complete and there were a pin hole or two that was noticed (only when shining a flashlight from the opposite side of the collector). Whether or not this would have effected anything, I'm not sure, but Barry did accept that set back and sent a replacement when it was available.

I've installed three sets (one standard-collector and two HVMC-collectors) and the installs went really well. Almost "easy". They slipped right in. There was some grinding on the K-member, on the passenger's side that was necessary, but it wasn't too significant.

The Y-pipes were a different matter and it was only because both cars have SLP SFCs. Eventually, when I put the HVMCs on my car, the second time, I modified the driver's side leg, and moved the cat to the collector (I replaced them with 4" round ones from Magnaflow) and just got a 3" U-bend and replaced the section where the driver's side cat' used to be, and got better clearance, and eliminated the interference with the SFC. I was very happy with the set-up after that. What do you expect for a 3" Y-pipe?

Power-wise, I picked up 20 RWHP over MACs and a good tune. I picked up another 10+ horse with the HVMCs, so, for just a intake and exhaust car (engine-wise) I was very pleased with the gains.

Good luck. I love my QTPs, and wouldn't trade them for another header.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Huh? Do you have any pictures that you'd like to share? You're saying that where the collector slides over the primary tube is too big and also not welded?
Here are a few pics...Keep in mind QTP says the gaps aren't as big as they really are. You can make up your own mind, the gaps are approx. 0.025" and 0.030", beautiful if you are flashing Christmas lights thru them.....

BTW, on the passenger's side header, no matter what end I started from, I could not get more than 5 bolts to align up with the thread pattern. I tried front to rear, then rear to front. Even though the mounting holes were drilled 1/16" oversized - the bolt pattern in the head wouldn't align up with the bolt hole spread in the header. I finally had to remove the passenger's side header and dremel it out approx. 0.02" per outside bolt hole. Then it fit.

http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2j...header-1b.html

http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2j...-header1c.html

http://i83.imagethrust.com/images/2j...-header-1.html

http://i84.imagethrust.com/images/2j...ps-header.html

Last edited by Weezzer; 01-02-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

so is there any other y-pipe besides custom that works with qtp headers ?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i disagree. at speeds over 100 mph it's possible. QTP's with HVMC's can very well give you 30 rwhp, and at high speeds, the FTRA is known to give you a 20rwhp boost. at a standstill on a dyno? no way.
what ridiculous logic.

after you get headers you should be able to hit 12s then!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Just pay to have TDs built or something but don't bother with the QTP Y-pipe... unless you want to buy mine for cheap.

It simply hangs too damn low. If all your streets and driveways are totally flat than I guess it won't be a problem. Except everyone you know will ask you why your exhaust is falling off.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

Did you detect a leak in this area? Mine don't look too much different, but they didn't leak. I'm not too sure how anyone would be able to weld in this area, because of the other primaries that are in the way. I've seen this kind of thing on three different sets and so far they haven't developed into leaks.

Hopefully this will help set your mind at ease.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Look, Three primaries (the 1 & 3/4" diameter) are placed into position and welded. The last one is supposed to be a slip fit (.003" or .004" larger diameter than the female collector is a slip fit). The outside of the primary is welded on the 4th one and everyone is happy. Except for mine as it was over swedged! , I had a .030" gap on the slip fit which is outrageous. QTP said I had no idea what was up, and that it would swell up and seal. Yea, right!!.
There was a good thread on this subject but somehow it got deleted...
I had to get some 2400 degree header/manifold patch and repair my problem as QTP refused to help me. So far its held up.
You can buy at your own risk, I've still got to get a custom Y pipe.

Hope this helps.......

I have this same issue 2. LOL its funny how our thread got deleted and locked so fast. I sent pictures and called QTP and they told me the same thing that they would seal up when hot. Thats for sure some BS cause mine are still leaking. I filled them with jb weld, and it held for a bit but now im gonaa have to do it again. My friend has the same headers and no leaks so like he said above buy at your own risk
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm having a similar problem with mine. The primary tubes at the collector arnt welded all the way around on any of them. Looks like all four pipes were put in the collector and welded what they could get to. I have a major exhaust leak, i can start the car and put my hand around the collector area and i can feel alot of exhaust gas. Not sure what to do or if this will effect the o2's.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow99vert
i have qtp lt's...love em, gained 60 rwhp from them, and cold air kit.
who the hell are you kidding?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the before and after dyno sheets on my car to prove what I gained from full exhaust.

I went from 306HP to 349HP, a gain of 43HP

Keep in mind though I have 2, 3 inch cats + 2.5 inch true duals + real mufflers + tune on my car.

It's quite possible that with no cats + straight pipe + dumps, he could have gained up to 60hp (it'd be a lean tune I think...)
Old 07-14-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss2668
I'm having a similar problem with mine. The primary tubes at the collector arnt welded all the way around on any of them. Looks like all four pipes were put in the collector and welded what they could get to. I have a major exhaust leak, i can start the car and put my hand around the collector area and i can feel alot of exhaust gas. Not sure what to do or if this will effect the o2's.
I just ordered some QTP'S. I sure hope they dont leak. The way my luck goes they probably will
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

yeah no ,,,i thought i fianlly came to the answer of my "what headers to buy" question,,,,
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Restricted User

Basically there are no headers that are perfect at any amount of money. Every single set of headers available for our cars has some issue somewhere. Knowing that, I took the best deal I could find on stainless headers. In my case it was not QTP.

And for those still arguing about hp gains, the power you gained by throwing an entire exhaust on your car and tuning it does not equal "header gains". Take a set of headers and throw them on the car with a catted Y and keep the stock exhaust, and no tune. Then dyno. That's "header gains". Otherwise you don't know what you gained from the headers, or the exhaust or the tune itself.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

****, my headers had better not have those quality issues... then again, I couldnt get lucky in a womens prison with a fist full of pardons...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

I'm still not convinced that LT headers are worth it on just a bolt on LS1. I have less than $800. invested in Performance mods, and dynoed 342hp/350tq, before ported TB. Unless I do heads/cam, I'll stick with my Bassani ORP and cut out for now.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The1N_only
yeah did you find that a little hard to believe too
been a while since i have been on this forum. but yes, i have the dyno print outs to show it. i baselined by car, then tested it again after my install and tune. also added a thermostat.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Teching In

haha funny i found this thread didnt realize u guys would flame so much! i wasnt bullshitting though!

Quick Reply: QTP Headers