Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get old exhaust off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get old exhaust off!

I bought a Loudmouth Catback, and am having trouble getting the stock system off. I already cut the pipe where it bends over the axle, and from there on out the system is off. The problem I have is that the pipe (I think it's called the "I" pipe) that connects right after the two exhaust pipes up front connect, the ones from the cats. I took the clamp off, but the pipes are stuck in each other after years of being clamped. We pulled, put a pipefitter's wrench in there and hit it with a mallet to try to turn it, thus breaking the seal, and we even heated it with a torch. On Sunday we're going to try to cut off the "I" pipe without damaging the male end, but do you guys have any other suggestions as to how to pull it off? It's on there REAL good. I was thinking of tying it to a tree and driving off, but my dads afraid that I'll damaged the manifolds seeing how hard this pipe is stuck. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should NEVER cut that pipe. The entire catback(including the I pipe) can be taken off as a whole, and it is much easier. Plus, having the catback/muffler not cut off allows you to hold the tips of the exhaust as leverage and you can bust the weld that is on the I-pipe to the y-pipe

As for your problem now, the factory actually spot welds the y-pipe to the I-pipe. The only answer would be to get in there with a chisel if you can to get on that weld and bust it. That or you could just that the entire Y-pipe system off, and work on it from out from under the car. Might be able to get a better angle to beat on it then.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man exhaust is just a bitch... you just gota take the time and muscle
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

spray some wd 40 or some pb blaster in there and then try
Old 12-28-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

PB blaster, a chisel sredbriver prybar or what ever you have and a BIG hammer. Swing pry some swing pry some repeat. I have an air so thats what I use and it works great.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
You should NEVER cut that pipe. The entire catback(including the I pipe) can be taken off as a whole, and it is much easier. Plus, having the catback/muffler not cut off allows you to hold the tips of the exhaust as leverage and you can bust the weld that is on the I-pipe to the y-pipe

As for your problem now, the factory actually spot welds the y-pipe to the I-pipe. The only answer would be to get in there with a chisel if you can to get on that weld and bust it. That or you could just that the entire Y-pipe system off, and work on it from out from under the car. Might be able to get a better angle to beat on it then.
That is what I did i took it off in one whole peice.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

I know you've got it by now but here's what I would use:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-01-2007, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

you have to just keep lubing it up and try to loosen it up. thats something that is gonna take some time and pateince. also keep trying to tap at the joint with a screwdriver and hammer. dont stop sprayin with wd-40 either. also use a wire brush to scrub some of the rust out from the joint