Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does placement of Xpipe or mufflers effect sound qualilty

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering the same exact thing! This is what I plan to do:

Not so sure where to place the h-pipe though. Can anyone verify the Magnaflow Crayon thingee? I will place the mufflers or bullets before the axle, similar to the TSP true dual setup but have piping run out the back.

My theory is that if you have the mufflers in this area, the sound will get "muffled" a bit as it travels down the piping while producing a bassy tone. Having it right before the exhaust tips would produce a more "crisp" (treble) note.

Again, I am not a expert on exhaust tones so don't take my word for it!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbtri
I was told by magnaflow that you should take a crayon and touch the exhaust and where it stops melting the crayon is where you should put your x pipe. I understand that wasnt the question , but why put one on just for sound instead of function?
My exhaust tips would melt a crayon.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And true duals still tend to RASP from time to time.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rasp is over rated but you just dont want alot from it....
Old 02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ok while i was driving to school this morning, i started to noticed other people's mufflers, like where they were located (lol yeah ADD on the road, i get side tracked so easily) oh yeah anyways i noticed that the newer cars had their mufflers right at the tips, sometimes the mubblers actually having their own set of tips! i noticed this mainly on cars, some on the small to midsize SUV's and nothing on the fullsize ones. but the older the car, the muffler was located deeper in the middle of the car. i was thinking that A) it was placed there for size reasons and B) having the muffler at the very end was acting as less of a restriction than it would be way up stream. but while i was comeing back i saw the school busses that have them really close to the engine with a mile long of tubbin coming all the way out the back.... so that's what i absurved today. anyone wanna disect that?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reject
ok while i was driving to school this morning, i started to noticed other people's mufflers, like where they were located (lol yeah ADD on the road, i get side tracked so easily) oh yeah anyways i noticed that the newer cars had their mufflers right at the tips, sometimes the mubblers actually having their own set of tips! i noticed this mainly on cars, some on the small to midsize SUV's and nothing on the fullsize ones. but the older the car, the muffler was located deeper in the middle of the car. i was thinking that A) it was placed there for size reasons and B) having the muffler at the very end was acting as less of a restriction than it would be way up stream. but while i was comeing back i saw the school busses that have them really close to the engine with a mile long of tubbin coming all the way out the back.... so that's what i absurved today. anyone wanna disect that?
I believe having the muffler closer to the motor is more of a restriction. I think having a those exhaust restrictions creates more back pressure and torque. I believe that's what a commercial vehicle would be looking for. I know that's why mercedes puts 2 cats and 2 mufflers on each cylider bank, to get that low end torque.

I thinks that's why when you go bigger on header primary size you risk loosing low end power to pick up top end power. I'm in no means educated on this topic, but this is what I've picked up over time.

Quick Reply: how does placement of Xpipe or mufflers effect sound qualilty