Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Headers????? Emmisions Legal

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headers????? Emmisions Legal

Whats up I just recently bought a 2000 Camaro SS. I want to put headers on it but I want everything legal. Do they sell Long Tube headers that will pass inspection without turning off the O2 Sensors? Or would I just have to Stick with Shorty's.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want them to be emission legal all you have to do is order the headers with a catted y-pipe the y-pipe will have cats in it so that you have all four o2's and won't set any codes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cono38m5
Whats up I just recently bought a 2000 Camaro SS. I want to put headers on it but I want everything legal. Do they sell Long Tube headers that will pass inspection without turning off the O2 Sensors? Or would I just have to Stick with Shorty's.

it depends on exactly what the emissions shop is looking for when they put you through. long tubes are from what i hear totally illegal but what i did is call up a emission shop here in ct and ask if theres actually a rule in the book that says LONG TUBES ARE ILLEGAL. the technition told me he never heard of such a thing. so i installed my headers and everything is ok.
i went with dynatech supermaxx with the cats and emissions hookups. then,after the inspection i switched the cats with two off road straight pipes.
you need to call around to different shops and see exactly what they will be looking for.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Technically, relocating the cats (which all longtubes and midlength headers do) is an EPA violation (federal law) and illegal in all 50 states.

Realistically, most states/shops aren't as strict with the visual inspection. California is IMHO the most strict about it, as we also have strict state regulation (CARB).

If you have a shop that will overlook the visual inspection in your state, you should be in the clear...

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

The level of strictness varies from state to state. Like said above CA is the most strict state and do more visual inspections than other states. For instance here in NC you just have your car hooked up to ODBII port and a short visual inspection to make sure lights and blinkers are working etc, but I doubt you would fail here there are many people running long tubes. Best bet is to call or visit the shop you are going to get smogged at, and then talk to the guys there to get an indication of what they check for. You should be able to come away with an idea of whether or not they would look under the car.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Alright thanks alot guys. I called the Shop that i go to and he said it wouldn't be a problem to "overlook" the visual part, just as long at it passes when he plugs it in. So basically the only thing that triggers the computer about the exhaust is the O2 sensors???
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Also EGR and AIR, which are smog control components. If you are having those removed they will trigger the light too.

Both of those codes can be deleted from a tuner or purchasing your own tuning software.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Ok Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lsx24
Also EGR and AIR, which are smog control components. If you are having those removed they will trigger the light too.

Both of those codes can be deleted from a tuner or purchasing your own tuning software.

this is what i always hear and what i thought was going to happen to my car but it never did. no lights no anything except bad *** sound. why do you think i never had any lights come on?

hey cono, have fun getting those headers on. i know i did
Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the emissions equipped version of the headers, they will come with the needed EGR and AIR hook-ups. Race versions come without the hook-ups.