Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far to drop the axle to get the stock exhaust in or out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far to drop the axle to get the stock exhaust in or out?

Got my loudmounth on thats coming out. I have a stock exhaust thats going in, but, it is all together. How far would I have to drop the axle, pan rod, shocks etc to get it back in?

Also, I belive it is a cat back from a 96ish year. Thinking about it now, would that even meet up with the stock 99 Y pipe???
Old 01-01-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default too many flanges on exhaust?

Was thinking of going dual, but, wanted to do a flange on the collectors and flanges some where down the passenger side in case I need to drop the trans or something in the future. Of course there will be cats with flanges on them too. I might be able to incorporate a few of the flanges into the cats so there would be less flanges floatig around, but, I suspect there will be a total of 6, give or take, 2 bolt flanges. Would there still be enough support strength up under there for the pipes? I guess I could always weld/bolt brackets as needed...
Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cut it at the axle. There is no way around it really if the pipes are welded up in there.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to merge your threads. You only need one on a subject of exhaust.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it was given to me complete, uncut, as the guy put on a new aftermarket exhaust, so, it MUST come out in one peice one way or another??????
Old 01-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Banned

Don't worry about getting it out in one piece, it's just the stock exhaust not like it's worth any money in one piece. Go ahead and cut it to get it out of there, that way you don't have to screw with the axle.

As far as the flanges you prob don't need 6 of them. Two with the stock ypipe, connecting to the cats, and two more in the ipipe, one right after the ypipe and one right before the axle. The one right after the ypipe is optional too.