Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another header problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I was going to suggest the hammer method, but then he would have to remove the headers like you said, and if it is rubbing there is NO WAY a heat shield would fit. A heat shield has space between the starter to dicipate the heat with air that moves over it. I tried the hammer method with my Chevelle that was mentioned before, but there was not enough room because that bbc just put off too much heat. I had to get the smaller high torque starter from summit.
I was going to mention this also. Dimpiling the headers. Not smashing the snot out of it, just a clearance dimple.

A smaller starter would also seem to work. I have never heard of this brand, but I guess we all have some kind of problem w/ headers... Mine is clearance.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

That sounds like a good idea. Dimple it to make some clearance then maybe a smaller starter later on to be on the safe side.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

I think Im just going to dimple it. It sucks that I have to take everything back out again tough I just saw another post in the internal engine section about someone having the same prob with slp headers. Guess its not just ebays.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DreamState23x
That sounds like a good idea. Dimple it to make some clearance then maybe a smaller starter later on to be on the safe side.
Or just buy a set of headers that fits in the first place, lol.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brad8266
seems to be a few isolated cases so far, many people have had these headers since the beginning of last year without so much as a problem in that regard...

I'm buying the headers because I think they'll do well, granted they have flaws but what header doesn't when they start out? not going to bother me any.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

You seem quite opposed to these headers and im curious if you have actually had a pair or looked at them up close. Ive got a pair and they look great and fit great. I slid both headers into place and bolted them up in 5 minutes and they dont hit anything.

It sounds like they might have a problem with their quality control since it seems like some of the headers fit fine and others have problems.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Ya'll, I have over 5,000 daily driver miles on my car with the XS headers. I had to dimple the passanger's side a little for starter clearance and have had absolutely no problems with the starter so far. Just pull it out and give it a few taps. The passanger's side is really easy to pull and re-install. It is not uncommon for any headers to be close to the starter, and if you were to look at other manufacturers I assure you their headers will have very little clearance also.

I am about to move the battery to the trunk and will be re-routing the positive wire directly to the starter. If I see any problems like melted wiring when I have it off, I will let everyone know.

Galen
Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
You seem quite opposed to these headers and im curious if you have actually had a pair or looked at them up close. Ive got a pair and they look great and fit great. I slid both headers into place and bolted them up in 5 minutes and they dont hit anything.

It sounds like they might have a problem with their quality control since it seems like some of the headers fit fine and others have problems.
Im not opposed to anything unless it is of poor quality, and it seems as though there are a few brands of headers that have issues with hitting the starter or the collector angle. I dont need to see them in person, I have heard enough of the bad experiences with them. If a product is a hit or miss as far as fitment goes, then that warrants it as poor quality. Some headers have a consistent hit or miss rep and i wouldnt take my chances. i would rather buy a product that comes perfect right out of the box. Why should i have to dent my brand new exhaust to make it fit right? Thats just dumb and yet people will defend crap like this.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

A lot of headers werent perfect when they first came out. Ive heard stories of pacesetters fitting like crap in the beginning and SLP headers (from friends whove have them) still fit horrible even though its a big name company. I still agree with whoever said "Id rather pay $300 for a header and have to modify it a bit than pay $1300 for a header that I might still end up modifying".
Old 01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
A lot of headers werent perfect when they first came out. Ive heard stories of pacesetters fitting like crap in the beginning and SLP headers (from friends whove have them) still fit horrible even though its a big name company. I still agree with whoever said "Id rather pay $300 for a header and have to modify it a bit than pay $1300 for a header that I might still end up modifying".
Or pay 400 for a header that fits perfect. There are plenty of headers out there that fit and arent $1300.

I could care less if a new companys product doesnt fit just because they are a new company, I still wont buy it. Being a new company is a lame excuse for a poor product. As for pacesetter, maybe theyre headers were **** at one point, but they fixed it obviously and thats why they are in business. if they were still jacked up i wouldnt have bought a set.

The SLP issue is that they have horrible ground clearence, which they do.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Well ill gladly put a ding in my $300 stainless header than pay $1300 just to avoid the ding. But like i said, mine fit fine, just moved some heat shield slightly and they slid right in. For anyone who doesnt have $1k+ for stainless steel headers, those headers are a great deal, even if you do have to modify them slightly.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or pay 400 for a header that fits perfect. There are plenty of headers out there that fit and arent $1300.

I could care less if a new companys product doesnt fit just because they are a new company, I still wont buy it. Being a new company is a lame excuse for a poor product. As for pacesetter, maybe theyre headers were **** at one point, but they fixed it obviously and thats why they are in business. if they were still jacked up i wouldnt have bought a set.

yeah but finding a set in stainless for less than your coated pacesetters? come on now and get serious, its a good deal, slight modification or no. Don't go bashing about on other peoples choices because people can just as well come right back at you for picking pacesetters which are well known for having the coating come off for one, and don't flow nearly as well as many other headers for two, though for a budget price you cannot beat them, and for awhile I even considered them.

its starting to make you come off as looking all butthurt about getting your budget pacesetters for more than people are paying for the xs stainless.

if you don't like them, stop pissing and moaning about them.
people did the same **** when pacesetter first started, and look at the company now, they started on eBay and didn't put much of a storefront up anywhere else for quite some time.

let people give the xs stainless a chance, because honestly, they're going to outflow your pacesetters, dimple or no. and they're stainless steel.

two things against your pacesetters.

Here's a third.
how many countless people trimmed off their k-member to fit the original pacesetters until they made a slight adjustment?

Even guys who have been around headers for 30 years, who have gotten into the header business themselves, will admit and be blunt about the difficulties of headers either making them or installing them.

I'm sure Kooks and QTP didn't start off with perfect products either, and to some they're still not perfect in ways .. its just how the **** works.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

You ordered Pacesetters and are knocking my headers because mine have a quarter sized dent in a primary tube? Yea, you made an excellent choice! Hell, yours even have the added advantage of getting lighter as the mild steel oxidizes! You know, the sign of the oxidation is that brown stuff you see on your headers that we call rust. Hell, you are amongst friends, you can admit to your little rust issues!

I figured that with your mouth, you would at least be sporting a decent header like Kooks, Stainless Works or (my personal favorites) QTPs!

Galen
Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
if you don't like them, stop pissing and moaning about them.
Yea!!! Now that's what I like to hear!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Galen
You ordered Pacesetters and are knocking my headers because mine have a quarter sized dent in a primary tube? Yea, you made an excellent choice! Hell, yours even have the added advantage of getting lighter as the mild steel oxidizes! You know, the sign of the oxidation is that brown stuff you see on your headers that we call rust. Hell, you are amongst friends, you can admit to your little rust issues!

I figured that with your mouth, you would at least be sporting a decent header like Kooks, Stainless Works or (my personal favorites) QTPs!

Galen
LOL, my headers fit perfect, are over 5 years old, uncoated, still are perfectly fine, and require NO DENTS to fit right.

Why would I pay over $600 for headers that really arent any different. Down south here rust isnt a big issue so stainless is pointless.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

LOL, my headers fit perfect, are over 5 years old, uncoated, still are perfectly fine, and require NO DENTS to fit right.

Why would I pay over $600 for headers that really arent any different. Down south here rust isnt a big issue so stainless is pointless.
Yea, I live in the Louisiana...and we don't have any problem with humidity . I have a friend who has the coated pacesetters...his are already rusting on a non-daily driver car. If yours aren't rusting...you simply aren't looking. The fact is if you cheap out on raw materials...everything done afterwards is compromised. Enjoy your headers...I know I am enjoying mine.

Galen
Old 01-06-2007, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Im still keeping my position that theyre definitely worth it, especially in the NE where salt and **** eat away at anything. If you dont like then thats your call, but this wasnt an opinion thread it was one about a problem. Bashing them and starting **** will just get the thread locked and wont do anything to anyones opinion.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 AM
11 Second Club

Mine are and have been fine ever since install. mine are not even close to the starter. these headers dissipate heat so quickly that i don't think you have anything to worry about. if it were mine, i'd still take it off, torch it hot, and hammer it out a little bit. either way, you're fine. I did not read all the replies.