Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POLY MOTOR MOUNTS- hardest install EVER..... HELP!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile POLY MOTOR MOUNTS- hardest install EVER..... SUCCESS!!!

as of 4 pm EST the dam things went in!!

Thanks to all those who helped!!!

SOrry if I was an *** to anyone...

Last edited by erikthegoalie; 01-04-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

are you sure you installed the poly mount correctly in the "clamshell" mount? the poly mount has the metal insert thats "notched" on the top side that fits into the notch for the k-member mounts.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a rough deal for sure. Thats why people say its one of the hardest thing to do to an ls1. For what ever reason my passenger side bolt would slide right in every time if the drivers side was out, so i just figured that was a sign from the gods to leave it in and just fight with the drivers side.
My advice: 1) get one side in, like the passenger side, and get someone else to help you. I couldnt have done it if it werent for the pair of eyes on the other side of the pedestal saying "okay its almost lined up here, how bout your side?"

2) grind that bolt down to a point!!!!! it will help you a hell of a lot.
3) work at it with some one looking at each side, and as soon as one of the holes lines up take the freshly ground bolt and try to get it started. From there i had a HAMMER and about 3 extensions on the head of the bolt. I got my dad to help move the jack while i beat on the bolt....oh and this bolt went in BACKWARDS, as in the nut is on the front of the mount. With some jack movement (pulling+pushing left right, lowering raising) it will eventually ram home.

Did it all with the headers and the starter still on the car!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Second Club

yea, i NEVER put the bolts back in from the front.... that just makes for a major PITA later!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

I didnt mean on doing it that way, it just so happened that the back hole was closer to being lined up than the front could ever dream of being.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

thats cool. i just prefer to put them in from the rear. it makes it ALOT easier down the road. pulling the compresser & alt. off gets old.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Addict

hey guys thanks a lot for the advice..
heres the deal...,my dad (my best buddy when it comes to helping with the car) has been there with me eyeballing these *******....it seems like when i took both mounts off..that was my mistake, like the engine and tranny is just slightly twsited and now it does not want to line up...
i thought about just putting the bolt in from the back...i basically tried everything except filing the tip of the bolt to a point and driving her home..i dont want to screw up the threads ya know...its not really a matter of up and down movement...it seems like when I have one bolt in, the other mount is slightly off to the right...like the whole engine needs to be moved horizontally...which, by the law of physics cannot occur..soo
like I said, my mechanic is installing the clutch/tranny anyway...I am going to see if he can do it which I am sure he will, he has a lot more hands and resources..and oh yeah PATIENCE....id rather drop the fuel tank to change a pump while it was fuel 5 times than do this again...what a major PITA....hopefully it is all worth it..
Thanks brothas
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

BTW they are absolutely in right...the "tab" that sits on the mount on the K member is UP and it sits in the cut out of the k memeber...it just needs tweaking....****
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Oh crap...i forgot the importance of a prybar!!!! Get your dad to work a prybar from the front while you work at it from the rear!!
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

i def put the bars to use...but like I said its more of a side to side movement i need not up down....that is why I feel that it is the rigidity of the mount itself...hell i even took a small bottle jack and placed it beween the block and the wheel well....and tried that...no go..
Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

It needs to go that way? damn. Mine was needing to go toward the wheel well. I was off maybe an inch and a quarter.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny I'm reading this, I just walked in the door from the garage. I just got my engine back on the k-member with the polymounts on it. IT was a pain for sure, especially since I was the only one doing it. In the end, did the file the bolt down to a point deal and driving it home with a hammer. Had alot more room to work since the engine was out of the car, but still a pain.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

no doubt....i am sure the guy at the shop will eventually get it...i just wanted to express my true, raw, absolute hatred for the mounts
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn, i did mine in the parking lot and didnt have any problems, it was easy and my headers were already installed. Took me like 5 hours to do including walking to the store one too. Guess you have to have that special touch.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brad8266
damn, i did mine in the parking lot and didnt have any problems, it was easy and my headers were already installed. Took me like 5 hours to do including walking to the store one too. Guess you have to have that special touch.
dude unless you have a bit of information that may be useful, stay out....i already think youre an *******...dont prove it to me
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Damn, i just got mine and now im worried about trying to get them in...I think im gonna have to wait for a long weekend to try it
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
dude unless you have a bit of information that may be useful, stay out....i already think youre an *******...dont prove it to me
Relax man, I wasnt trying to make you mad. All i know is in the sticky that i wrote on mount install. Chill back a bit.

I dont get why youre so pissy about some old thread about running rich after headers, it isnt something to get pissed about, just a disagreement of the facts.

Try listening to other people instead of getting pissed when people try to help you understand things, maybe then things will be a bit easier for ya. I dont sit here and talk out my *** just to **** people off, I try to help out with **** that I have experience with, not **** that I just hear from people.

Last edited by brad8266; 01-03-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heres some advice. Loosen the 4 clamshell to motor bolts on each side in order to give you enough play in it to allow you to line the hole up for the large bolt. Then push the large bolt through, tighten up the 4 clamshell to motor bolts, then tighten up the nut on the large bolt.

Try that out and see how it goes.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

dude nothing personal, im angry about these mounts...seriously, dont listen to what I say hahah
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

and thank you for the 411...I will try that before I bring it over for the other mods going in....and again sorry for the outburst...nothing personal...im being the *******

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POLY MOTOR MOUNTS- hardest install EVER..... HELP!