Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install!!

i finally got my longtubes after a month of waiting and miscomunication but anyways i want to start on them on friday but some of my friends from school think i should just take it in to a muffler or speed shop cuz its 150 which isnt that much but i was thinkin i should just try and do it my self with the help of a friend instead of spending 150 on installation i could buy a lid with that 150 and have some change left ya know and a lid is a must i hate the way the stock one looks so how hard do think it is to actually install the headers should i try and do it on my own or just ditch out the 150 whats the worst that could happen i cant do it and if it comes down to that ill take it to a shop
Old 01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DMONEY06
i finally got my longtubes after a month of waiting and miscomunication but anyways i want to start on them on friday but some of my friends from school think i should just take it in to a muffler or speed shop cuz its 150 which isnt that much but i was thinkin i should just try and do it my self with the help of a friend instead of spending 150 on installation i could buy a lid with that 150 and have some change left ya know and a lid is a must i hate the way the stock one looks so how hard do think it is to actually install the headers should i try and do it on my own or just ditch out the 150 whats the worst that could happen i cant do it and if it comes down to that ill take it to a shop

What type of headers? I just installed Pacesetters last week. If you have a rachet/socket set and some jackstands..definately do it yourself. The only hard part is getting the rusted stock exhaust off. It took about 1.5 hours to install the new headers/y-pipe.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always thought of it as investing in myself when I did my own work. You'll have a great sense of accomplishment too.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetlag
What type of headers? I just installed Pacesetters last week. If you have a rachet/socket set and some jackstands..definately do it yourself. The only hard part is getting the rusted stock exhaust off. It took about 1.5 hours to install the new headers/y-pipe.

i ordered pacesetters is it easy or what
Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have someone help you. its easiest if you have a lift.

btw, resize your sig pic before the mods do.

500WX150H
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

easy swap to do yourself get a friend to hold them up while you slide them up from the bottom and thread the bolts to hold it in, and like said before the hard part is getting the old rusted **** off.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy Big Sig Pic Batman!!

To tell you the truth, $150 is a REAL good deal for a header install. While I agree you should probably do it yourself and use that extra coin for something else, it's not bad at all if you and your friends don't think you can do it. There are a LOT of install threads here in this forum. It should be no problem to do it. If you get stuck somewhere, post up and we'll help you out. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

i ordered pacesetters is it easy or what
Pacesetters are the easiest to install...I did everything by myself. The passenger side header was installed in 25 minutes...the driver side took a little longer because I had to cut the casting tab off the block. Like posted earlier...all in all by myself...about 1.5 hours to install the new headers/Ypipe.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

500wx150h
Old 01-10-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bww3588
500wx150h
what are u talkin bout???
Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

He's talking about your signature size. Your pic of your car is to big and you need to make it 500x 150.

I will be installing pacesetters on sunday with a buddy of mine that has done it many times before. This will be my first time and he told me it shouldnt be to bad.
But $150 for the install is very cheap. I would just do it with my friends.

BTW....You definately need a lid because the stock air box is not going to let your car breath very good.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

He is talking about the megapixels in your pic in the signature, its too big and the moderators will probably delete it!! I thought the easy stuff was removing the stock system, took a cutting wheel to the bolts I could reach & a 1/2" Impact & extensions to the others. Broke every bolt but it was cake. My header install sucked b/c I rplc'd motor mounts too, plus my y-pipe bangs the floorboard, Right Bank O2 sensor, hits the tranny, and y-pipe touches the torque arm!! I was also unable to get the stock tunnel brace back in.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Regular

i installed my pacesetters this past weekend. it was pretty simple, driver side gave me a hard time, had to take the spark plugs out, cut a little piece of the block and beat the floorboard a little. i did it all by myself in about 6-7 hours
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jetlag
What type of headers? I just installed Pacesetters last week. If you have a ratchet/socket set and some jackstands..definitely do it yourself. The only hard part is getting the rusted stock exhaust off. It took about 1.5 hours to install the new headers/y-pipe.

I ordered the WRONG headers!! My stock system came down fine, but the project was a 14hr job on ramps... SLP's suck. I had to chop a piece of my K member to get that snarly PASS side primary to clear... It was either that or disconnect the engine mounts, which I didn't think of at the time. It took about 4 hrs to do the Pass side. Between getting pissed and taking brakes.

After the headers went in it was all down hill.. Didn't do an open header start up, tho..... Wrapped the whole project up at .... no better time... Midnight!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
He's talking about your signature size. Your pic of your car is to big and you need to make it 500x 150.

I will be installing pacesetters on sunday with a buddy of mine that has done it many times before. This will be my first time and he told me it shouldnt be to bad.
But $150 for the install is very cheap. I would just do it with my friends.

BTW....You definately need a lid because the stock air box is not going to let your car breath very good.
exactly why i dont want to pay the 150$ so i could at least buy a lid