Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slp headers???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slp headers???

I need some advice on headers. I got a 01 ss with a slp loudmouth. I was thinking about getting the headers y pipe and the cat converters from slp. I wanted to know if that would be a good setup
Old 01-20-2007, 04:10 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SLP headers are junk. They are notorious for having the worst ground clearance in history. Check out the Pacesetter catted-y combo from TSP, or some of the stainless headers if you want to spend a bit more money (Kooks, QTP, American Racing Headers).
Old 01-20-2007, 08:23 PM
CK1
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The SLP headers are junk. They are notorious for having the worst ground clearance in history. Check out the Pacesetter catted-y combo from TSP, or some of the stainless headers if you want to spend a bit more money (Kooks, QTP, American Racing Headers).

I concur
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
I concur

X2
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have them on my car, they dont drag on anything. They do hang very low though. Im doing a turbo soon so Ill have a set for sale soon. Let me know.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

I recently uninstalled mine a few weeks ago. (time for a change) Overall I was satisifed with them and my car is lowered with the Pro Kit. Ground clearance is pain if your not careful though.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fit isnt to wonderful, they hang low and lots of people dislike them.

pacesetters witha catted y are far cheaper and better fit and way better clearance
Old 01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

MOST SLP stuff is garbage...

THey do hang low. It's mostly the Y pipe and the pass die header. The TSP Pacesetter Catted kit is a hell of a deal! I'm thinking about ditching my SLP LT's for that and the TSP dual X dumped. ($600-700, better than the $1200 for the SLP's.... ..) They don't make that much power either. I've heard they will make better power w/ a H/C combo.

They aren't TOOOO bad on a stock rideheight car, but if you plan on lowering them, then it's a DEFINITE no no!! I have pics.. I'll post em..

Originally Posted by GotV-8
I have them on my car, they don't drag on anything. They do hang very low though. Im doing a turbo soon so Ill have a set for sale soon. Let me know.
I might have a set for sale soon too...

THese pics are from mine... Eibach Pro Kit w/ SLP kit... ... My cats literally sit about 2" off the ground! After these... You shall fear no nails on the chalk board.. Just fill caps on the grund at gas stations and anything else that is not flush with the ground. I had a different set of pics taken from the side, but I can't find them right now.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 01-20-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would run them. They are only a danger to lowered cars.

1. they are equal length.
2. they are not shitty quality.
3. SLP does put a lot of time into engineering, so they are effective.
4. they are already coated.

Most people that think that they are shitty headers only because they have seen someone say so. I used to have a set, and I got rid of them for a set of hookers, and got rid of them for some pacesetters, and got rid of them for some FLP's.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
They are notorious for having the worst ground clearance in history.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeapeel

Most people that think that they are shitty headers only because they have seen someone say so. I used to have a set, and I got rid of them for a set of hookers, and got rid of them for some pacesetters, and got rid of them for some FLP's.

Ah... DUAL coated. I liked the initial quality.... But it's just the ground clearance that really gets me.

I have also 'heard' that they don't make the greatest power. All I really have is a Lid, Plugs and wires... I ran 336/346 RWHP/TQ after an LS1 Edit. I did 299 some odd HP before the edit. The guys at ESP told me thatt he LT's flow more overall air so it confises the O2's to thinking it's lean, which in tern craps out your fuel mileage.... That is untill they can tune it to lean it out a bit...

Sorry, that's the only way I can think to explain it while inhebreated...
Old 01-21-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2, buddy just got a set off of ebay, and i was looking at them, the build quality is very good. just like ppl say, the sit a lil lower than others.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

The SLP headers may sit a lil lower, but i have never had a problem with the y-pipe hitting or banging on the floorbords. Like with a lot of others that conplain about the y-pipe hitting. The fit is great instal was easy they whent in whith little effort.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

i have the supermaxx system and love it. the kit comes with everything you need to install it and comes out cheaper than SLP b/c you have you order everything separate, that's why i went with the supermaxx. i got the loud mouth cat back with the supermaxx and get compliments all the time.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

im curious also on the slp. ive pm a few who had them and a couple actually told me to run them. but everybody says they hang low and all. im sure they make good power like orangepeel said. i mean, slp makes all that stuff for GM so im sure they took time in creating the headers. the quality i think looks good. i think slp made the headers they way they are for a reason.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

after talking with one of the representatives from slp they said they designed their headers to have a really strong midrange. they assumed people wouldnt mind the reduction in ground clearance, but for the most part they were wrong. i was also told that there are new headers on the drawing board with better clearance. basically, if you dont plan on lowering your car they are a good choice.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

As biased as I am towards Pacesetter, this is true.

The SLP's do hang lower than most but fit and quality have always been pretty top notch.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
I recently uninstalled mine a few weeks ago. (time for a change) Overall I was satisifed with them and my car is lowered with the Pro Kit. Ground clearance is pain if your not careful though.
Ditto.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
after talking with one of the representatives from slp they said they designed their headers to have a really strong midrange. they assumed people wouldnt mind the reduction in ground clearance, but for the most part they were wrong. i was also told that there are new headers on the drawing board with better clearance. basically, if you dont plan on lowering your car they are a good choice.
You're on here too, do0d? Wassabbi!?!!

/!\... WOAH! I was wondering if SLP were to maybe revamp their headers. I'm glad to hear this feedback about the headers. That's good stuff! IT seems that they redesigned their Y too.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As they do hang low i've seen many cars some say if your going to spend that much money on a set of headers and y-pipe why not go with kooks or QTP's I like the quality of my kooks just have to put the y-pipe on yet.