Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after headers install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007 | 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...nt=Picture.flv
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, you checked all your fuses and you have new plugs (altho I've seen new ones that were bad) and wires (you may want to use a DMM to ohm out each wire to make sure it's not open/broken)...

Check all the grounds, there are various (both sides of block, on rear of head, to the engine bay...), and check your battery ground also.

Using a scan tool, log the 8 misfire parameters (these will tell you which cylinder), and log the LTFT's (these will tell how rich the PCM is trying to go, indicating possibly an air leak or a problem with the O2 sensors), and read the DTC's (these will point you in the right direction).
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn it. No access to a scan tool till tonight I have a question though I noticed my Passenger side header is hot as **** and my drivers side was just warm.... Could that mean anything?
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:08 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

which ever side is cooler is running richer. I hate to say this like everyone else since you have changed them twice but I had this problem and it was a gashed plug, like chunks of the ceramic sleeve missing...
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

have you tried resetting the PCM? not just disconnecting the battery..
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:26 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Damn it. No access to a scan tool till tonight I have a question though I noticed my Passenger side header is hot as **** and my drivers side was just warm.... Could that mean anything?
That's exactly how I figured out that I had a blown fuse!

The one side was just WARM because it was just compressing the gas in the cylinder and expeling it, no fire. It was either not getting fuel or not getting spark, but one whole side was shut down. Other side was hot as your mom was last night. This was the passenger side that was shut down BTW. It was the top left fuse in the front fuse box if you're standing beside the car.

Unplug your coil pack harness for that side and see if it changes anything. Did you have Ray Charles check your fuses?
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silverbrick
which ever side is cooler is running richer. I hate to say this like everyone else since you have changed them twice but I had this problem and it was a gashed plug, like chunks of the ceramic sleeve missing...
just because its hot doesnt mean its a lean condition, ive seen cars run hot becuase their pig rich
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

It damn sure aint the O2's. if they were that jacked up the car would likely go back into open loop and would run just like it does when you first start in the morning before it warms up.
Old 01-22-2007 | 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

try the IAC, my buddies car had the same problem and i think that ended up being the issue
Old 01-22-2007 | 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Headers will get real hot... If the one side gets just warm, then that whole bank may be not firing.
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That's exactly how I figured out that I had a blown fuse!

The one side was just WARM because it was just compressing the gas in the cylinder and expeling it, no fire. It was either not getting fuel or not getting spark, but one whole side was shut down. Other side was hot as your mom was last night. This was the passenger side that was shut down BTW. It was the top left fuse in the front fuse box if you're standing beside the car.

Unplug your coil pack harness for that side and see if it changes anything. Did you have Ray Charles check your fuses?
I'll triple check them now. If it's not the fuse what else can I check?
Old 01-22-2007 | 05:58 PM
That's what she said...

I'll triple check them now. If it's not the fuse what else can I check?
Try unplugging the coils from the driver side and see if it runs any differently. This will help tremendously.

You could also remove a plug wire from a plug, stick an old plug in it, ground the threads of the plug on the header, and check to see if it sparks. I'm guessing you took the coil packs off for install, might have yanked a wire loose from the main connector or something. Even with one of plug wire off completely, the car should run much better than you're describing.
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright I pulled every fuse and checked it... there all good I don't know what else to do.. I put my delco plugs back in the drivers side and it still ran the same so I don't know Man I wish I never installed these *******!
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Alright I pulled every fuse and checked it... there all good I don't know what else to do.. I put my delco plugs back in the drivers side and it still ran the same so I don't know Man I wish I never installed these *******!
Did you pull the passenger side plugs yet and check them?

I like what you have for your location.
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
Did you pull the passenger side plugs yet and check them?

I like what you have for your location.
No I'm trying to stray away from that side right now. I thought it was the Drivers because my drivers side had a leak in the Y and everytime it backfired a nice poof of exhaust came out of the leak. I'm pretty sure my passenger side isn't the problem. I'd just like to "know" before I start ripping apart my passenger side AGAIN.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=Drivers+Coil
That is exactly what is happening My plug's are coming out dark as **** on the drivers. the passenger plugs are actually coming out normal.
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:39 PM
That's what she said...

It's got to be the coils, and something jacking with all of them. Swap the coils from one side to the other and see if it helps?

Check the main coil pack conectors and make sure no pins are bent or wires are damaged.
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's got to be the coils, and something jacking with all of them. Swap the coils from one side to the other and see if it helps?

Check the main coil pack conectors and make sure no pins are bent or wires are damaged.
It's gotta be all of the coil's because it seems like really weak spark or no spark on the drivers side. I'm done with it for the night though. My hands are severly fubar from working on the car/cold weather.
Old 01-22-2007 | 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try unplugging the coils from the driver side and see if it runs any differently. This will help tremendously.

You could also remove a plug wire from a plug, stick an old plug in it, ground the threads of the plug on the header, and check to see if it sparks. I'm guessing you took the coil packs off for install, might have yanked a wire loose from the main connector or something. Even with one of plug wire off completely, the car should run much better than you're describing.
Yup, old school that ****. Pull the plug side of the wire out, put a screwdriver in there and bring the screwdriver (cunductor) near good ground and look for (listen for) a spark. Be carful not to involve your hand in the test, it hurts . That will narrow down soooo much. Then move on to fuel delivery.
Old 01-23-2007 | 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

No I'm trying to stray away from that side right now. I thought it was the Drivers because my drivers side had a leak in the Y and everytime it backfired a nice poof of exhaust came out of the leak. I'm pretty sure my passenger side isn't the problem. I'd just like to "know" before I start ripping apart my passenger side AGAIN.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=Drivers+Coil
That is exactly what is happening My plug's are coming out dark as **** on the drivers. the passenger plugs are actually coming out normal.
If you saw the smoke coming from the drivers side and the plugs are dark on the drivers side, then its probably your coils/wires or something like that. You didnt unplug the drivers side coil strip main connector and forget to put it back did you? Thats out on a limb, but figured I ask.
Old 01-23-2007 | 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

That one hurt man Anyways... I might have found the problem thanks to the other thread. I pmed him asking how he solved it and he replied back with this.
Originally Posted by djfargot
in my case, when i was changing the #1 plug, i broke the engine coolant temp sensor that goes into the block (and didnt notice....) turns out all the coil packs have a ground wire that grounds to the block in this sensor. some people told me fuses, but mine were fine. (the sensor is very very close to the #1 plug....it has 3 prongs that attach to a black plastic housing, and the housing has a string of wires going into the back of it.)

as not fun as it sounds, i would suggest tracing the wires coming to and from the coil packs, to make sure there are no shorts or nothing is broken. i didnt want to do it but it ended up helping me.

let me know if this is the problem, and i can give you the part number for the sensor....its kind of a PITA to find.
I went and checked the sensor and It's sort of seperating from where the 3 prongs meet the connector. I'm hoping it's as easy of a fix than this

If anyone needs this part number it's #12551708 it's for 98 cars only. 99+ they have a 2 prong sensor I believe.

Quick Reply: Problem after headers install HELP