Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advise; Is anyone here running MSD Gen III coils w/Granatelli wires..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>The stock ignition system would fire a piece of wood for a spark plug..

If that's the case, then the MSD coils would fire ten pieces of wood for a sparg plug, and do it multiple times!!

To all interested in the knowing the facts, and not forum fiction from folks that have never tried the coils... I just got finished installing them... The Installation was very easy, and straight forward. I took the car out for a good 45-minute run. As expected, the throttle now has a more responsive "crisper" feel to it.. The exhaust burble on de-acceleration is 100% completely gone (TG, as it was driving me nuts). The coils performed as advertised. I highly recomend them. Don't fall for the negative hype from those who have not used them. If you can get a good deal on them there definantly worth it.

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-08-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better..would you like to buy some ocean front property in Missouri ... .. just an FYI for ya the ignition sytem ie. the coil on plug design is one of the strongest features of the LS series engine platform ... why dont you go and do back to back dyno pulls swaping out the coils and see what really is produced if you feel so strongly about it ... we would love to hear the results ...the ball is in your court now sir ... .. my guess is 2-4 HP ...which is about what you pick up with a ported and polished throttle body..which also gives a little crisper throttle responce too (do it yourself or pay $75) .. I'll bet your horse power gained per $$$ spent is going to way out there ... lets say you get a whopping 4 HP that makes it about $125 per HP..

Why don't you buy one of Granatelli MAFs too while your at it..they are known to make huge gains too...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just to put it all into perspective. A cam, valve springs, pushrods swap that produced 38 HP cost me $15.79 per HP.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Teching In

>..the ball is in your court now sir

That's ok, i like a good game of tennis!!

Just to let everyone know that reads this.. slt200mph has never had these coils on his car, yet he his quick to hit the reply button and continually bash them!! You sir, is what is known as a forum troll... lol to you!!

If i was going to bash a product, i would atleast try it first!!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Johnny_V
>..the ball is in your court now sir

That's ok, i like a good game of tennis!!

Just to let everyone know that reads this.. slt200mph has never had these coils on his car, yet he his quick to hit the reply button and continually bash them!! You sir, is what is known as a forum troll... lol to you!!

If i was going to bash a product, i would atleast try it first!!

If you will read what was posted I never claimed to have these coils on my car..and I never bashed the product...I said they would be the last thing that I would spend money on in the way of mods..and only if I was in a racing application and I was looking for the last couple of horse power to be found in a engine then I would consider these coils..you sir have shown your true colors by reducing this to name calling and rude gestures ..with no more posts than you have and by your behavior some people might consider you a troll or immature... but I will not digress to your level..I will just treat you like what you appear to be..someone who does not know any better and a person that made the wrong buying decision and is trying to validate it by attacking me personally.. as I posted before do us all a favor and do the coil swap with back to back dyno pulls..let us see the results..I feel very confident in my prediction of the HP they will produce..I'll gladly say yes you are correct and I am wrong if you can prove it ... your serve sir..
Old 02-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Teching In

To you, this is all about dyno numbers. Well, sorry to have to be the one to upset you, but performance coils are not all about dyno numbers!! Man, you sound like a two year old, constantly talking about dyno numbers.. Really, listen to yourself.. Is that how you got 4,400+ post, by badgering everyone here who post on the forum, a zillion times, over dyno numbers.. It's like your saying upgrading to a four core radiator vs having a two core radiator is not worth it unless you see the dyno numbers..

What i would suggest to ease your discomfort in wanting dyno results so badly on these coils... Is that you purchase a set of your own off of ebay. Oh, ya, almost forgot, there not worth it to you. In that case, i will put my factory coils up for sale on ebay. If you act quick, you can have them at a very low buy it now price!! LOL!!

Your replys are nothing but amusement and !!

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-11-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see you continue to digress ... .. the object of the game is to make as much horse power as possible and spending the least to do it....I assume that you are not going to try and prove your case and are just going continue to call me names and dance around the subject at hand ... sorry if my opinion that you paid too much and received too little in return upsets you .. if this upsets you that much I suggest that you could try selling them on ebay...that might ease your discomfort ...
Old 02-08-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

johnny_v what do u drive??
Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Teching In

>johnny_v what do u drive??

A 2004 LS6 cts-v. Here is a photo of the engine with the coils installed.
Attached Thumbnails Need Advise; Is anyone here running MSD Gen III coils w/Granatelli wires..-my-pictures-012.jpg  

Last edited by Johnny_V; 02-08-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey johnny give it up. alot of people here arent into reality. all they hear is hp nothing else. torque is almost a forgotten word along with street legal. ive read more suggestions of lt, cutouts, and naawwwsss ( the real word is nitrous). anyway im glad your happy with your purchase. by the way thats about what i paid, but im using there wires.