Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If SSRA is so good...why does almost no one have it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dyno proven. A friend of mine for many years and member here. Dynoed recently at Harrisspeedworks with a fan blowing into the SSRA

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/608941-02-z28-w-ptb-dynoes-298-w-slp-lid-dynoes-303-w-slp-lid-ssra2-dynoes-318-a.html
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the SLP CAI on my old 98 v6 and now i have the SSRA on my SS. I think the SSRA is better quality and I am very happy with it. I feel a big difference especially on the highway.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

It shows great Dyno gains. They just stick a dry shot into the duct, then put a big fan in front of the car. Great gains. LOL!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Dyno proven. A friend of mine for many years and member here. Dynoed recently at Harrisspeedworks with a fan blowing into the SSRA
listen to yourself man, read what you just posted. a fan blowing into it, that almost counts as an electric supercharger lol...like i said the gain will increase with speed, if the air in front of it isnt being forced into it, it isnt going to gain ****...sucking air from below the nose of the car is no different than sucking air from in front of the radiator, forcing air, be it by a fan, or force of air hitting the car as you do 120mph is not the same thing...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

They make good power up top supposedly. The faster you go....obviously the more power it makes. But from what I hear....the more water it picks up when you go threw puddles

Most people bitch about them getting ripped off, having them suck up water.........and well you know the rest.

I don't need the extra 5-8 hp that bad!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

That's like 6" off the ground. Who is driving through puddles that deep?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by spy2520
listen to yourself man, read what you just posted. a fan blowing into it, that almost counts as an electric supercharger lol...like i said the gain will increase with speed, if the air in front of it isnt being forced into it, it isnt going to gain ****...sucking air from below the nose of the car is no different than sucking air from in front of the radiator, forcing air, be it by a fan, or force of air hitting the car as you do 120mph is not the same thing...

1st of all sucking air from below the nose of the car is different from sucking air in front of the radiator. The air below the radiator is cooler than the air in front of it. 2nd off all i did read what i posted. Maybe the SSRA won't gain **** sitting still. I personally have the Whisper cold air scoop and it doesnt hang that low and I'm def replacing the Whisper on my SS with a SSRA2 and the same on my TA With the Sux2bu intake you could here the car at idle sucking the air in
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike#9
They make good power up top supposedly. The faster you go....obviously the more power it makes. But from what I hear....the more water it picks up when you go threw puddles

Most people bitch about them getting ripped off, having them suck up water.........and well you know the rest.

I don't need the extra 5-8 hp that bad!!!
You are talking about the SSRA they sell on LMperformace. If you PM the creator of the SSRA he sells the upper attachment without the scoop that hangs low
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bob320fa
I've been interested in the SSRA but.... while in most threads I've read people say it's good, almost no one seems to have one. Why is that?
if you pulled in a parking space to far up and hit the bump stop, you'd probably rip it off.
if you use the car daily and get stuck in the rain, you'd proabably suck in a lot of water (or even hit a nice puddle) say goodbye to your LS1.

i have the fast toys RA and i never take the car out if its drizzling b/c for that and the drag radials.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FTRA ftw
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be kinda nervous about water getting sucked up in it. You never know when some crazy **** may happen and you have to drive through water. I was on the feeder on I-45 down in houston once and there was a monster puddle goin accross the whole intersection and I had to go through it or I woulda held up a **** load of traffic. It may have done nothing if you went through it with the SSRA but I'd be pretty nervous.

I think the coolest way I ever saw somethin like this done was a friend of mine got 2 flexible metal ducting tubes and he attached each one to the big holes on each side of the camaro grill (removed the stock black grill) and ran the ducting up to the airbox, smashed the ends so they would fit in, and called it a day. Cheap, looked pretty cool, and effective.

Last edited by jimmypop13; 02-20-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

First off, ram air kits make NO more power on a stationary dyno. If anyone is advertising they do, they are not telling the truth.

The kits work by increasing the VE of the motor and also by brining colder air into the intake. Colder air has more oxygen and creates more power. Increasing VE makes the engine more efficient.

Check out www.installuniversity.com for an unbiased review and analysis of the FTRA. It does work and we have been selling them for 9 years and have tons of happy customers. We'd love to have you as a customer too!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The gains are somewhat disputed.
I don't know who is disputing the gains of SSRA, but there were a bunch of people who track tested the FTRA in back to back and got gains of .1 and 1 mph. The FTRA design was probably the easiest mod to test at the track as you can go with to without testing in matter of minutes.

I doubt that it will show dyno gains, so that may be where the dispute comes from.

FTRA was watched carefully to see if it was really better than !FRA when it first came out.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man after hearing and reading all these threads about the ssra I'm so curious about if it really will show gains or not. My original impression of it is that i can believe that it would work but with all the doubters i am not so sure so i might just have to get one and try it with before and after runs back to back at the track on the same daylike i did with my cut-out closed then open and see real world gains. I know my car very well as it runs very consistent so i think my results would be pretty accurate.

Last edited by DadsZ28; 02-20-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DadsZ28
Man after hearing and reading all these threads about the ssra I'm so curious about if it really will show gains or noy. My original impression of it is that i can believe that it would work but with all the doubters i am not so sure so i might just have to get one and try it with before and after runs back to back at the track on the same daylike i did with my cut-out closed then open and see real world gains. I know my car very well as it runs very consistent so i think my results would be pretty accurate.
What we find is that everyone that has actually purchased an FTRA is happy with it. All the doubters are people that have never had any experience with the product. It works.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gains that you say are they after the free ram air mod that i am sure everyone has done.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
FormerVendor

The gains that you say are they after the free ram air mod that i am sure everyone has done.
Yes! Over and above free air mod
Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

FRA mod is worth every penny you spend on it, if I want to be just as fast and get a dirty filter I'll take my filter out and dust with it.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
First off, ram air kits make NO more power on a stationary dyno. If anyone is advertising they do, they are not telling the truth.
straight from one of the horse's mouths...all "dyno-proven" arguments are now null and void...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have had mine for nearly two years now and haven't had a problem. Great props to the maker as this is a high quality piece. There is no chance in hell that water will go up there into my engine because I would float away in water that deep before it goes up the SSRA.

I scrape the front clip before I scrape the intake:

Quick Reply: If SSRA is so good...why does almost no one have it?