Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: YES OR NO?
INTERESTED
40.00%
NOT INTERESTED
60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

NEW LID CAD Printout, Finally! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEW LID CAD Printout, Finally! *pics*

This is just a thrown together copy! there will obviously have to be some adjustments and different versions! This threead is to see if you guys would be interested. I assume i would have to become a sponser to sell this product also.

Okay so im ganna have to explain this, most of you guys will get the idea but just incase.....Rite now our lids are just a square, so the air going in that isnt lighned up with the exit whole(MAF)/Neck of the lid is either getting stopped or bouncing back or some how making its way to the MAF. This lid has two sections that dropp down all the way to the bottum of the box that the lids sit on. and then would seal with the two corners, so that way, all the air coming is can onnly go one directoin, and thats towards the MAF/exit. Now in real actuality this part that is dropped down will have to come down a little lower and if this item gets prototyped well obviously have the correct measurments and what not. Then since that theres two sections that are lowered,we wouldnt be able to use the K&N or any sort of that style filter, so waht we would produce is a circular filter that would slide into the neck of the air lid. Sort of how in your MAF the screen is there, but only it would be in the neck of the lid.Or we could make one how they are now but just a fitted one. We wouldnt mind making a 90m either if this product seems worth your time. Heres some CAD prinouts, see if you can kinda get the idea.

Last edited by sickws698; 02-19-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

How Is That Going To Flow Better?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Then just for some further explaining, this is what it woudl look like on the car

Old 02-19-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Resident

I See
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

So air coming in the box can only go one way, and thats towards the MAF apposed to before where it wuold go sstraight in and hit the back walls of the lid
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guna go ahead and say not interested... no offense, good idea and all, but i wouldnt see it gaining much more hp over a standard lid
Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's the air filter going to go?

The stock lid keeps a volume of air in between the air and the filter from which the engine pulls. The air flowing into the filter isn't going at such a rate that it's affected by the air "bouncing off the back", it's simply flowing in to fill whatever may be sucked in through the throttle body.

The graphics work and stuff looks nice, but it's just hard to improve upon the lids functionality. Selling an "85mm lid" like TSP used to could make you a KILLING in these parts, much more than anything like this would. All you'd need is a rip-off of another design with a bigger hole.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 02-19-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im guessing its going to need to be cut, kinda looking like a lamp shade
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

just make a 90mm lid....the demand for it is already there. You would not have to convince people that the idea is gonna work like you are doing with this....just my 2cents
Old 02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Where's the air filter going to go?

The stock lid keeps a volume of air in between the air and the filter from which the engine pulls. The air flowing into the filter isn't going at such a rate that it's affected by the air "bouncing off the back", it's simply flowing in to fill whatever may be sucked in through the throttle body.

The graphics work and stuff looks nice, but it's just hard to improve upon the lids functionality. Selling an "85mm lid" like TSP used to could make you a KILLING in these parts, much more than anything like this would. All you'd need is a rip-off of another design with a bigger hole.
I was thinking the same thing about the filter. That design loses a lot of surface area.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

way too small of filter surface area. thats the reason that ppl use cone filters over just a flat filter on the tube. and what the others said, 90mm would sell like crazy. good market with no offerings right now
Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I already got my lid so I wouldnt be a potential buyer however I do wanna say this to you.

its a great idea, it seems logical and simple but I don't think it will be muchb etter than a normal lid. I think you did a good job and thinknig outside the box and i give you props for that.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
All you'd need is a rip-off of another design with a bigger hole.
+1
Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got an idea....

what if you kept the bottom part like a normal lid, and used the same kind of air filter we do now...

now cut the top off a normal lid and add your top part.

then youd have a big air filter surface with plenty of space for air to come through, and had that to get all the air to flow in 1 smooth direction...
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

A 90 mill would be an option for this also
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
I got an idea....

what if you kept the bottom part like a normal lid, and used the same kind of air filter we do now...

now cut the top off a normal lid and add your top part.

then youd have a big air filter surface with plenty of space for air to come through, and had that to get all the air to flow in 1 smooth direction...

Thats not a bad idea, see i didnt know that the air that sat above the filter was there for the engine to suck in , i figured it was just flowing air and what not. Knowing that woulda changed this product a little bit. Also i could make that opening a 90 mill and only produce those
Old 02-19-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sickws698
So air coming in the box can only go one way, and thats towards the MAF apposed to before where it wuold go sstraight in and hit the back walls of the lid
Just an FYI.

An engine only takes in the air it wants/needs restrictions in the intake system can hamper this which is where the aftermarket comes in.

But the crucial thing to rememeber is an engine will be sucking air in. Not having it blown in from the front.

The only methods I've seen of succesful air intakes involve several aspects:

-free flow filter (but not k&n, remember a filters primary job is to filter and cotton weave filters are particulary poor at this, paper is about the most efficent at filtering and the stock OEM filter has been flow tested to 500bhp n/a after that you want to look at sythentic weave filters like the Donaldson Blackwing for the C5 Corvette. Some foam filters are quite good but the poor ones are very poor).

-cool air ducts, this is simply ducting to an outside air source so the the IAT's should remain closer to ambient as opposed to taking air from under the hood. This is what 99% of all "Ram Air" systems are.

-air box resonance, tuning the airbox to the harmonic frequency of the engine.

-Ram intake track tuning, same principle as air box resonance but with the intake tracts in the manifold.

These are all proven techniques used extensivly in competition the world over.

Remember to see a "Ram Air" affect you would need to be traverling around 200mph.

Personally I think your CAD images look pretty but I think the physics behind the design is not upto par.

Seriously just make a simple lid based off of a proven design and offer it in 85 and 90mm openings and sell for like $80 shipped (US mainland) and you'll make a killing.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Launching!

you got me a bit interested, do you have an estimate on cost with filter and shipping?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wanna say it will be around the price of the lids out now give and take, maybe 120-140
Old 02-19-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sickws698
Thats not a bad idea, see i didnt know that the air that sat above the filter was there for the engine to suck in , i figured it was just flowing air and what not. Knowing that woulda changed this product a little bit. Also i could make that opening a 90 mill and only produce those
try taking my idea and combining it with yours. ahve him draw that up, make one and test it against a lid. We can chit chat all day about why it will or wont be any better but only a dyno will prove it.

I say test it out and see how it performs.