Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i dump my LM1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i dump my LM1?

ok i have LM1 on my trans am has a mild cam(zz4) shortie headers, i have the pipes out the back with duel exhaust and everyone knows how LM sounds i was thinking of right before the axle put a cutout and put a turndown on it but keep my tips so the sound still comes out but will the rasp smothened out by the turndown? am i right or will the rasp still be there if i do a turndown and keep my tips, or just a complete turndown?i always thought turndowns smoothen the exhaust out because if gets deflected in the ground. or another option was get the longest powerstick i can fit in the I-pipe and do that.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh....if I understand correctly.......the answer is no. I will be much louder turn downs or not. Just get a better muffler than the LM, lot's of choices out there.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

Ive heard turndowns give you alot more drown in the car, but unless you add mufflers or cats the rasp will still be there
Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 AM
12 Second Club

i use to have SLP LM dumped and it was ridiculously loud and sounded like ***,had no tone to it just a bunch of noise until you went WOT
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll see no performance gain using a cutout on a LM as the muffler actually out flows the exhaust tubing.

It will also be louder with no muffler. Either run CATS with the LM or swap the muffler out for either a Magnaflow bullet (PM me if you want the part number) or a Powerstick chambered muffler.