Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Im installing my FAST 90/90 setup...

Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Im installing my FAST 90/90 setup...

And this is what I see as I pull off the old LS1 intake....

Is this normal for a car with about 38K miles and no catch can yet? BTW, the bottom of the old LS1 intake is basically a bit of that white, crusty crap...
Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats normal. When I did my head swap, it was filthy... Yours is actually kinda clean compared to some i have seen. As far as the intake ports, yes, its normal. Dont let those little blue gaskets from the injector or any of the sensors get lost either.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blkbird
Thats normal. When I did my head swap, it was filthy... Yours is actually kinda clean compared to some i have seen. As far as the intake ports, yes, its normal. Dont let those little blue gaskets from the injector or any of the sensors get lost either.
Phew, had me a little worried. Would it be wise to clean up the areas around the runners a bit for a slightly better seal maybe?

Dont think Ive lost any gaskets, not that Ive seen anyway. Man, what a pain in the neck those back bolts were - I forgot to cut some rubber tubing to slip over them to hold em up :-/. Oh well, took about 2 hours to get it all off, get the old coolant vent tube off. So, tomorrows plan of action is to replace those valley plate bolts and put her back together

Oh yeah, and - the fuel line that ran to the front of the manifold there - we could NOT get that clip out so we ended up busting it. How the hell do you get it off without breaking em?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd definitely run a shop vac over the intake ports and valley cover really good. All kinds of crud seems to build up under those things.

I'd probably wipe down all gasket services and possibly what parts of the runners I could reach, with maybe starting fluid or a similar cleaner.

Re: the clip...If I remember correctly, you have to squeeze in the two ends and lift up in the middle. Not sure though...last time I had mine off, it just kind of popped loose. Every other time I fought with the stupid thing it seems...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MightyBobo
Phew, had me a little worried. Would it be wise to clean up the areas around the runners a bit for a slightly better seal maybe?

Dont think Ive lost any gaskets, not that Ive seen anyway. Man, what a pain in the neck those back bolts were - I forgot to cut some rubber tubing to slip over them to hold em up :-/. Oh well, took about 2 hours to get it all off, get the old coolant vent tube off. So, tomorrows plan of action is to replace those valley plate bolts and put her back together

Oh yeah, and - the fuel line that ran to the front of the manifold there - we could NOT get that clip out so we ended up busting it. How the hell do you get it off without breaking em?
you can use tape to hold the bolts up or clothes pins if you have some laying around, the clip needs finesing to remove
Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oange ss
you can use tape to hold the bolts up or clothes pins if you have some laying around, the clip needs finesing to remove
Ugg...finesse haha...not what I had at that time.

As for the bolts, Im going to hit up the store and get 5 or 6 inches worth of rubber tubing and cut it into 1 inch pieces, and put a slit into em. Thats the suggested method, seemed like it'd work just fine.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the crud buildup is normal. Mine wasn't quite that bad when I did it but don't worry about it. I used paint thinner and rags to get all the gunk off the sealing surface around the intake ports on the heads. I don't think it affects the air flow at all. As for the clip mine was a PITA to get off too but it finally popped off...thought I was going to break it too. The small hoses with a slit cut in it works great for those back bolts. What are the 2 red wires you've got hanging out?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Yeah the crud buildup is normal. Mine wasn't quite that bad when I did it but don't worry about it. I used paint thinner and rags to get all the gunk off the sealing surface around the intake ports on the heads. I don't think it affects the air flow at all. As for the clip mine was a PITA to get off too but it finally popped off...thought I was going to break it too. The small hoses with a slit cut in it works great for those back bolts. What are the 2 red wires you've got hanging out?
Red wires are nitrous lines that I didn't feel like removing at the time haha, good eye!

Speaking of which, Im off to get some rubber hose as we speak...time to finish the job!
Old 03-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Before:

After:

Much better

And finally:
Old 03-18-2007, 03:51 AM
12 Second Club

looks good.

fuerzaws6
Old 03-18-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

wna send me some cash for a 90/90 setup

...nice job on the swap dont let the carbon build up ruin your high ambitions and thrill of such an exciting event

Search this Thread