Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp dual dual muffler question???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question slp dual dual muffler question???

Is there an OEM slp dual dual muffler and is there an SLP performance parts dual dual muffler? Are they different in any way? Is one louder than the other?

thanks...
Old 03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently the aftermarket one has a more aggresive tone since its aftermarket and the OEM one has to obide by the sound restriction of a factory car.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

the SLP catback is the SLP catback. if you order an OEM SS or WS6 muffler from GM, you will get the GM muffler.

SLP was faux OEM on cars with the special option package and yes, certain years came with a restrictor in one of the muffler outlets to keep the car quieter. I believe some 2000 models had this, but no '01-02.

the only other difference is:

"OEM" SLP catback: welded up from I pipe back
Aftermarket SLP catback: clamps together from I pipe back
Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WS6 cars had all the same SLP options as the SS cars then is that right?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
WS6 cars had all the same SLP options as the SS cars then is that right?

Ws6 cars did not get any Y2Y SLP options other than the base level GM installed SS and WS6 upgrades.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Trans Am's were not converted to WS6's by SLP, therefore they had no SLP options whatsover. ASC did the WS6 while SLP did the SS
Old 03-26-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

1996 and 1997 ws6's were converted at SLP but all of the ls1 ws6's were converted at ASC.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

oops, I was only thinkin of 98+ I shoulda said that!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No prob......
Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

so then the WS6's didn't the slp d/d exhaust ?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nope
Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dual/dual came off of a 2002 Firehawk.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 AM
12 Second Club

damn i'm confused, i need a cookie...

so the WS6s didn't get a D/D, but Firehawks did? Is the Firehawk like the SS of WS6's??

I need to stop only owning Camaros because I don't know jack about the other F-body.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

So I recently bought a used SLP dual/dual and was under the impression it was the aftermarket one which has a deeper tone but all three pipes were cut off the inlet/outlets when I got it so would that mean it was the OEM dual/dual?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
damn i'm confused, i need a cookie...

so the WS6s didn't get a D/D, but Firehawks did? Is the Firehawk like the SS of WS6's??

I need to stop only owning Camaros because I don't know jack about the other F-body.
You are correct, WS6's did not get the dual-dual. The dual-dual is an SLP option and the LS1 WS6's never went to SLP.

Firehawks are to Trans Am's as the SS is to the Z28's.

WS6 is an option to a T/A just like the Firehawk is also an option to the T/A's, as well as the Formula's. But Firehawks had alot more options offered at SLP. WS6 had no other options offered other then WS6 package.
Firehawks had suspension options, floor mats, etc... from SLP.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Dealer supplied SS "Dual/Dual"
3.5 piping (I believe) and flow is "OK"

SLP supplied Dual/Dual
4 piping (or at least larger than the dealer Dual/Dual piping in the I-pipe section)and flow is extremely close to having just straight pipe past the cats(no muffler)

ASC supplied WS-6 exhaust
Has the exact same characteristics as the SLP Dual/Dual......larger piping and extremely good flow.

To give you a comparison, the LoudMouth by SLP is basically hollow piping from the cats back with no obstructions (no muffler).....and thus will net you the best gains.
The SLP Dual/Dual and the WS6 exhaust only produce aprox 3-5 RWHP less than the LM while maintaining an acceptable noise level ~ as to not to attract attention from the local police.

The down side though to all 3 (compared to the LM) is the weight......they're all probably 40+ lbs heavier, if that's of any concern.

I have personally done quite a bit of dyno testing on all of these exhausts ~ so this is first hand information

Hope that helps to answer your questions
Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by TheBowtieboy
Dealer supplied SS "Dual/Dual"
3.5 piping (I believe) and flow is "OK"

SLP supplied Dual/Dual
4 piping (or at least larger than the dealer Dual/Dual piping in the I-pipe section)and flow is extremely close to having just straight pipe past the cats(no muffler)

ASC supplied WS-6 exhaust
Has the exact same characteristics as the SLP Dual/Dual......larger piping and extremely good flow.

To give you a comparison, the LoudMouth by SLP is basically hollow piping from the cats back with no obstructions (no muffler).....and thus will net you the best gains.
The SLP Dual/Dual and the WS6 exhaust only produce aprox 3-5 RWHP less than the LM while maintaining an acceptable noise level ~ as to not to attract attention from the local police.

The down side though to all 3 (compared to the LM) is the weight......they're all probably 40+ lbs heavier, if that's of any concern.

I have personally done quite a bit of dyno testing on all of these exhausts ~ so this is first hand information

Hope that helps to answer your questions
The "dealer" supplied dual-dual is 3" not 3.5".

The SLP sold after market dual-dual is again 3". Only thing bigger than ALL cat-backs out there is the Mufflex cat-back which is 4".

The only difference between the dual-dual from optioned and aftermarket sold ones is the aftermarket ones have no kinks in the up-and-over pipe that goes over the axle.

The WS6 exhaust is nowhere near the same as the dual-dual. The dual-dual flows way better and is stainless steel, the WS6 is not.

You're right about the weight though. When I sold my dual-dual and shipped it in a box it was 70lb, when I got my Loudmouth from Thunder Racing I want to say in the box was close to 10-12lbs. (I am probably off by a few pounds)

And dyno's will vary I know that first hand. Only way I'd buy that a WS6 was anywhere near as good is if somebody did 3 pulls with the WS6 cat-back, pulled it off and did 3 pulls with the dual-dual. Same car, same day, etc....

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CRAGER
The "dealer" supplied dual-dual is 3" not 3.5".

The SLP sold after market dual-dual is again 3". Only thing bigger than ALL cat-backs out there is the Mufflex cat-back which is 4".

The only difference between the dual-dual from optioned and aftermarket sold ones is the aftermarket ones have no kinks in the up-and-over pipe that goes over the axle.

The WS6 exhaust is nowhere near the same as the dual-dual. The dual-dual flows way better and is stainless steel, the WS6 is not.

You're right about the weight though. When I sold my dual-dual and shipped it in a box it was 70lb, when I got my Loudmouth from Thunder Racing I want to say in the box was close to 10-12lbs. (I am probably off by a few pounds)

And dyno's will vary I know that first hand. Only way I'd buy that a WS6 was anywhere near as good is if somebody did 3 pulls with the WS6 cat-back, pulled it off and did 3 pulls with the dual-dual. Same car, same day, etc....

Peace,
Craig.
I stand corrected on the Dealer supplied version ~ I knew that it was 3 or 3.5 but couldn't remember (and thus my notation of "I believe")

As far as the SLP being the same size ~ I don't recall that being true....I am pretty certain that it was 1/2" larger.

As far as the SLP Dual/Dual and the WS6 creating the same resluts....I know that with 100% certainty. I have done many experiments in regards to exhausts and I had the SLP D/D and the WS6 done the same day on the same dyno ~keeping all variable as close as possible (tire pressure, engine heat soak, ect.). This was doen to decide which one I would "hack up" to mate to a custom header y-pipe combo ~ so, I'm sorry but I completely disagree with you on this.

Quick Reply: slp dual dual muffler question???