Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is better for the PCV: Breathers or Catchcan??
Delete the whole damn system and do the breather setup
50.00%
Add a Catchcan to the system
43.75%
Just put in a new valve and leave it alone
6.25%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Which is better for PCV: Catchcan or Breather??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which is better for PCV: Catchcan or Breather??

Ive searched everywhere, but im still confused with this damn pcv system. I know that you can add a catchcan to the pcv or you entirely delete the whole system and add breathers. But no one says which one is better. OR should i just leave it alone and just put in a new pcv valve.
I was looking at it yesterday, but the problem with my pcv is that the small tube that connects the valve to the intake is torn a bit.
My car is a 2000 Z28 daily driver. I dont race or anything. Im looking for something easy and cheap. Can you guys please set me on the right track??
Old 04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Putting in the upgraded pcv valve is a hit or miss solution.....works for some, not others. I tried it with no luck, finally I just installed a catch can and empty it at every oil change...been working fine so far.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody??
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Restricted User

the mike norris catch can is awesome. i voted catch can.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not a breathable system WITH a catch can? What i run, have a breather on oil fill cap. both valvecovers Tee together into a catch can with a breather on it as well. I wont be boosting my crankcase nor getting oil in the intake.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a catchcan you will never catch 100% of the oil that might get into your intake. You might get alot but never 100%

With a breather you will never have that problem since PCV effectively no longer exists.

I REALLY don't see the point in doing both.... at all. Some people don't like the idea of removing PCV they think its bad for your motor, kills your oil life etc. While some of this may be true, if you are burning a **** ton of oil you are doing more harm than good with the PCV system anyway!

There is no clear cut answer here, every car is different, I chose to delete my PCV system when I did an LS6 intake swap cuz my stock LS1 intake was DRIPPING oil when I took it off. My LS6 is as dry as the day I put it on.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

I run a catch can and a breather, no problems at all.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Either leave it alone or run breathers with catchcans.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My air/oil separator does the trick perfectly. Screw a catch can. This filters it out.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So then how would you run both a breather and a catch can setup? I've got the LS6 pcv conversion with my pass. side blocked off. I was gonna run a catch can from my valley cover to the intake, but if that won't catch it all, then I'm not sure what I'll do...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A catchcan before the breather just keeps oil from getting under your hood, or at least lessens it.

A breather on the valve cover, and a catch can in the PCV line before it goes into the manifold is a very bad idea. That breather on the valve cover will be sucking air in, and it will be unmetered (hasn't passed through the MAF).

A breather on the valve cover and a catchcan with a breather on it is also pretty pointless unless you've got so much blowby it won't vent through one fast enough. If that's the case, you need a new motor lol.

I'm going to do a full writeup on the PCV system soon enough. So much to say about it and I get tired of re-typing.

I run a breather. NO oil in the intake. My car is not a daily driver anymore, so it gets pretty frequent oil changes, as far as mileage goes. If it was still a DD, I'd run a NICE catchcan though. If you stay on top of the 3k oil change interval, running a breather is no big deal.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

i posted a very good pcv how to pic for boost but that was maybe a year ago,

if your current pcv setup works why mess with it? and if the tube thing or whatever is torn then just fix it
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is a DD, just add a Catch Can inline before the PCV valve.

If you run a catch can and a breather.. your are adding a lot more un-metered air into the intake system and changing your A/F ratio.

Just Breathers alone is ok, but if you were sucking oil in the 1st place, your most likely have some amount of Blow by and in the long run, you will have a oil/messy engine bay.

just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

well call me crasy all you want but,i replaced and rerouted the hoses installed a new inline valve and ive had no oil get into my new intake.however ive only put about 800mi on the car since + the way i done it the engine looks alot tidier
Old 04-03-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have ran so many setup's for the PCV system It's not funny, On two different LS1 cars. The Catch can worked on my first car but my present car I had to pull the whole PCV system all together to keep oil out of my intake. Now my intake is finally clean. I voted for removing the PCV system.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, im pretty sure im gettin oil, cuz when i first bought the car there was oil all over the throttle body and even in the maf. I think im gonna do the catchcan cuz it seems easy and cheap. I change my own oil so im pretty sure i will check the catch can when i do that. Thanks for everyones help. any other suggestions??
Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

I have breathers and the only gripe I have is that I drip oil onto my passenger side header from the breather. When I first crank the car up in the morning that burning oil smell is so sweet!!
I have heard that an LS6 PCV can actually make more power too? Not sure if this is true. I am getting tired of cleaning those damn breathers all the time!
Old 04-04-2007, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

I was thinking of removing everything and doing the breathers also. Other than having to clean the breathers constantly, what are the drawbacks to this?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone have pics of what you mean by putting breathers and a catch can to eliminate the PCV system?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Would the be any negative effect if I took the pcv line going into the intake and ran it to a catch can that had a breather on the top, and then blocked off where the pcv line had went into the intake, is that what people are talking about with removing the pcv ? A write-up with pics would be great.

Quick Reply: Which is better for PCV: Catchcan or Breather??