Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring QTP cutout.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wiring QTP cutout.....

getting a QTP electric cutout and will be wiring up the power and ground. If I run the power off the IGN wire running to the radio (yellow wire) and ground it to the cig. lighter ground (cig lighter black wire) then I should be good to go?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

That should work. I tested mine before bolting them on just to be sure. You may want to do the same. Just need to see that you have the opening and closing the direction you want it.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

sounds good. hope to wire it up this evening after i get it.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the yellow wire on the stereo, but myself and many others use the PINK wire going into the TCS or ASR switch. That is a switched 12v and works perfectly. Even if you don't have TCS or ASR, you will still have the harness and wires back there.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trent
I don't know about the yellow wire on the stereo, but myself and many others use the PINK wire going into the TCS or ASR switch. That is a switched 12v and works perfectly. Even if you don't have TCS or ASR, you will still have the harness and wires back there.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

yea, I saw the wires back there when I took the panel off. the way I wired it worked flawlessly.
heres the steps i used if anyone wants to know...

-I already had cutout welded below passenger seat...

1. remove grommet under the passenger rear seat and use something long to push the carpet up. (my carpet was stuck to the floor so it took some effort). get a razor blade and cut an "X" into the grommet. this will help with pushing the cutout control wire through later.

2. undo the negative battery terminal with a 8mm wrench.

3.. remove entire center console. Turn the key and remove the shift lever. there is a little U clip to pull out that looks like a stitch. use needle nose pliers. For an A4 there are 2 little screws below the change holder in the glove box.. remove those and pull up on the console shift cover. There are 2 10mm bolts to the rear of the glovebox and another one towards the airbag sensor. remove these and the final 2 10mm bolts at the front of the console (towards the dash) and the dash will pull up some.
4. With the carpet exposed underneath the console, get a razor blade and cut a line towards where the grommet is *where you want to run your wire*. You should see a line in the carpet from where the console was pushed up against it. DONT cut further than this line or youll see the cut when the console is back on.

5. Get a coat hanger and tape the end of the cutout wire to it so that the end you want to connect to the cutout motor will be what comes out the car. Feed the cutout wire close. if you get back under the car you can feel through the hole and pull the coat hanger through. (Note: It was easy for me to pull the coat hanger through because my passenger rear seats were out of the car and there was an opening in the carpet that I could stick my hands down to pull the hanger more. You may not be able to do this if your seats are in.)

6. Once the wire is out, feed the connector through the grommet and connect to the cutout motor. Replace the grommet and pull the slack through the top of the console area.

7. Back on the top side: Run the wire along the inside of the console and to the front wherever you want to mount your switch.

8. Drill your hole for your switch mounting. For the QTP cutout I believe it was something like a 1/2" hole.

9. mount the switch so that it doesnt wobble when you click it to its two positions. I mounted mine on the front of the console just under the cigarette lighter. (note: you need to drill the hole low because the width of the back side of the switch may be close to the cig. lighter and you wont get the switch to sit flush)

10. I ground my negative wire of the switch to the black wire coming off the cig. lighter. Solder or tape the connection. your preference.

11. The positive *power* wire is discretionary. You can splice this wherever you feel most comfortable. I chose the yellow IGN. wire that feeds the radio. Pull the radio bezel and remove the 2 small screws that holds the radio in place. The radio can now be pulled out.
I needed about 12" of extra wire to add to the QTP wire to make this work and ran it up through the dash behind the radio.. This wire is hot whenever the radio *key* is on. I liked this because the cutout can be operated whenever the car isnt running and the radio is still on. I used a line tap to make my connections.

12. Once all the wires are connected you can reinstall the console and reconnect the battery.

you're good to go.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wired mine up to the cigarette lighter no problems at all and it's the easiest wiring method to do.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I'll second that. I did mine through the cig lighter, very easy.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I heard that wiring it through the cig lighter can run down the battery, is this true? Also did you guys instal an LED light as well?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine like that since day 1 no problems at all.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

I have tcs but it's not hooked up because a diffewrent rear is in the car I wanted to hook it up where the tcs switch is. Will it be difficult? And how do I go about doind this?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired mine to the power seat motor harness. It's right under the driver seat, easily accessible with the driver seat folded down. There's a quick connector that you can break, then wire it in on the dead side, don't even have to disconnect the battery. The cutout will work with the car off and that circuit has plenty of wire/fuse protection for a cutout. I can imagine the seat pulls alot more juice than the cutout motor. There is a power and a ground there, I just spliced my wires into both of them. Orange is power, black is ground.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to bring this back up again but i have a question about the power wire...i wired a shift light to my tcs harness, can i still use that same wire for the cutout, or does the fact that i already tapped into it w/ the shift light make it have less power? Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: wiring QTP cutout.....