Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm about fed up w/ my Kooks headers & GMMG catback

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the same combo (Kooks LTs/ORY and GMMG) for a good while now and mine has never hit the bottom of the floor, or vibrated. Still have the stock motor and trans mounts as well.

Odd that it's giving you guys that much trouble...I worried about it when I put them in, but so far they've been great.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
to keep the i-pipe from hitting, try to pull the gmmg apart a little where the pipes meet over the axle and tighten the clamp back down. Also, check the rubber in the exhaust hangers. It could be worn, causing the catback to sit to low and that could cause the pipe to hit the axle.

As for the y-pipe, get some poly motor mounts. It will keep the exhaust from moving much when you are driving. Also, if the y-pipe is hitting under your seat and the mufflex hanger doesn't work, the heater hose method is cheap and proven. You just need hose, exhaust wrap, and some clamps. Here's a pic:

-Chris
I thought about coming up w/ a contraption like this, but yours looks a lot better than what I had in mind

I'm going to wait until I get the bracket in and see where we are after that.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marv
I've been running the same combo (Kooks LTs/ORY and GMMG) for a good while now and mine has never hit the bottom of the floor, or vibrated. Still have the stock motor and trans mounts as well.

Odd that it's giving you guys that much trouble...I worried about it when I put them in, but so far they've been great.

Thanks. The only thing I can see the poly mounts being good for is keeping the exhaust more still when cranking it up. That still does nothing for getting it off the bottom of the car all of the time.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder how much of a PITA the motor mounts would be to have installed. :hmm: I doubt id attempt upgrading them unless all else failed.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

The shop that did mine just put a rubber piece of tube. Not like how jimmypop's heater tube is, but similar. And so far I don't have any problems with it hitting under my car. Although the only thing is that I have Pacesetters, but they still go right up against the underside of my car.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Have you tried to loosen both LTs, the Y-pipe, and the rest of the exhaust and tried to readjust it? It sounds like a lot to do but unless you loosed most (if not all of the exhaust) I've found that it could cause some binding and not allow full adjustment.

I know that QTP makes their header flange holes a little bit to allow for a little additional up-and-down movement. If you loosen the entire exhaust, and see if you and adjust the collectors a little further down, you may just get enough clearance.

Good luck. Not even LT or CB fits every car perfect. You've got good quality stuff, and it just may take a little more TLC than other cars. I know mine has. ;D
Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radz282003
Have you tried to loosen both LTs, the Y-pipe, and the rest of the exhaust and tried to readjust it? It sounds like a lot to do but unless you loosed most (if not all of the exhaust) I've found that it could cause some binding and not allow full adjustment.

I know that QTP makes their header flange holes a little bit to allow for a little additional up-and-down movement. If you loosen the entire exhaust, and see if you and adjust the collectors a little further down, you may just get enough clearance.

Good luck. Not even LT or CB fits every car perfect. You've got good quality stuff, and it just may take a little more TLC than other cars. I know mine has. ;D
Thanks We loosened up the catback and tried adjusting it there, but it did no good. Once I get the bracket in, I'm going back down there and we're going to spend some more time on it. Thanks for the encouraging words though
Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wildta
If you take an old spring, when you upgrade the valvetrain, weld it in between exhaust and frame. Stops it from banging.
I can't believe I'm saying this... but that's not a bad idea

-J
Old 04-09-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
to keep the i-pipe from hitting, try to pull the gmmg apart a little where the pipes meet over the axle and tighten the clamp back down. Also, check the rubber in the exhaust hangers. It could be worn, causing the catback to sit to low and that could cause the pipe to hit the axle.

As for the y-pipe, get some poly motor mounts. It will keep the exhaust from moving much when you are driving. Also, if the y-pipe is hitting under your seat and the mufflex hanger doesn't work, the heater hose method is cheap and proven. You just need hose, exhaust wrap, and some clamps. Here's a pic:

-Chris
** NO OFFENSE INTENDED..BUT..SORRY--but that is ridiculous..I have done that on old pickup trucks.....you should not have to put up with fitment like that from a Major sponsor.....I went Edel.+ory and ...lots of clearance on headers...fixed the y by rearranging it...NO PROBLEMO..[I was gonna go KOOKS or QTP...Glad I didn't.] SS or not.

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 04-09-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

i too suffer from bang, it sucks
Old 04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I have pacesetters,tsp catted y pipe, and gmmg no banging, rattle, great clearance.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you have subframe connectors and if so were they welded in correctly with the frame loaded when installed?

There is easily enough twist in the frame to allow for a 1/2 to 3/4 clearance gone missing if the sbf's weren't installed correctly.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
Do you have subframe connectors and if so were they welded in correctly with the frame loaded when installed?

There is easily enough twist in the frame to allow for a 1/2 to 3/4 clearance gone missing if the sbf's weren't installed correctly.
BMR Weld in tubular SFCs and yes, they were welded in by a very experienced company that does these quite often.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if I missed this but who installed the v-band clamps?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have no idea what that is
Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V-band are what connect mid pipes to the LTs on certain setups... on kooks there are NO V-band clamps so on your application, nobody installed them

-J
Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Or you could trade headers with me + a little cash. I have a set of MACs and the Y pipe. I even have the block off plates for EGR and AIR. maybe they wouldn't be as prone to hitting or rubbing?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
I have no idea what that is
Eh. Sorry the photo posted by jimmypop13 shows a v-band clamp, I thought it was your exhaust, but apparently it is not. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm surprised you're having problems with your Kooks system. They have a reputation for being a good fitting system. I had some banging on mine, but it was remedied by installing poly motor mounts.

If your system is riding against the bottom of the car, the motor mounts might not help. OTOH, I find it hard to believe that the system can not be tweaked to a better fit. I would call George at Kooks and ask for his advise. I've worked with him before, he's a helpful guy.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have FLPs, that is why there is a v-band clamp. It was impossible to adjust them without having the y-pipe hit the floor there, that is why I did the heater hose. It may be the same thing that guy above did to his old truck but it wasn't a big deal to me as no one else will see it, i still have great gound clearance, and it only took a few minutes to solve the problem this way. If you look at the last clamp in my pic, it is torn apart and there is a dent in the y-pipe right there. This pic was taken after I was in a wreck and I'm guessing the curb tore it up like that! I'm hopefully getting a new trans am this weekend!
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

the motor mounts would keep the motor still while goin WOT causing the motor to trq up and the exhaust bumping the floor.. i had this problem when i put a ory on my manifolds..im sure that y pipe is every adjustable youll prolly have to get under there and loosen all the clamps and adjust it to where its not bumping a thing..not to bash someone elses work but didnt you pay someone to install this? would you check that while you installed it to make sure the fitment and is clear of the body..like they say on horsepower tv " when installing an new exhaust system keep all the clamps loose so you can check for clearance around moving parts, hoses and the body" but the cats on there so like puting 10lbs of shyt in a 5lbs bag..hell you outta see my tsp y pipe..it dont bang the floor but drags the ground every where. pullin out of the driveway.. im suprised it dont hit reflectors on the road lol...

the last i herd you where happy with the new exhaust..

hope everything works out man.