Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR question

so i have been searching about deleting my egr and everywhere i read it says that it doesnt help anything but clean up your engine bay. my question is, doesnt the egr bring hot exhaust gasses back into the intake? so if you delete your egr wouldnt you be getting rid of hot air and gasses and getting more cold air into your engine which makes better performance? just a thought i had.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodlookinLS1
so i have been searching about deleting my egr and everywhere i read it says that it doesnt help anything but clean up your engine bay. my question is, doesnt the egr bring hot exhaust gasses back into the intake? so if you delete your egr wouldnt you be getting rid of hot air and gasses and getting more cold air into your engine which makes better performance? just a thought i had.
no not really. the EGR doesnt constantly pump exhaust into your intake. only a little bit every so often. i put race headers on my 98 and left the EGR pump in place untill i get my LS6 intake on to plug the hole because i didnt feel like driving to get a freeze plug, anyways, i listened to it under my hood for about a half hour and i only heard it open up once for about 30 seconds. you could hear it suck from the hose that is suppoesd to be hooked up to the exhaust manifold.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes some of the exhaust gas and puts it in the intake, then when it goes into the cylinder it does not mix with the air/fuel, it just takes up space. This actually increases gas mileage, remove the EGR will lower your gas mileage, but not significantly.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by =Tac=
It takes some of the exhaust gas and puts it in the intake, then when it goes into the cylinder it does not mix with the air/fuel, it just takes up space. This actually increases gas mileage, remove the EGR will lower your gas mileage, but not significantly.
tell that to the 01-02 guys without EGR. all it does is pump hot gas back into the intake to keep the intake hot so the fuel atomizes better and doesnt produce as much NOX gasses. in 01, GM put a smaller cam in the cars to reduce emissions and get rid of EGR. thats why it only kicks on once in a while. when the intake gets warm, it kicks off.