Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Or Qtp???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRArox
1.people like more
2.which makes more power for a modified but not heavily modified camaro ss
3.better clearance
4.easier install
5.what ORY to go with it.

THANKS ALL
1) Id say its split down the line 50/50
2) Same power gains
3) Kooks
4) I'm sure they are both similar
5) Kooks

Kooks: 2
QTP: 0
Old 04-15-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how about you buy whichever of the two headers for the cheaper price at the time you decide to buy them.

/end thread

Last edited by TheSilverOne; 04-16-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

It's funny how some people say a header installed easy and others say it was a pita. Ever think some people have more mechanical ability than others? You can ask two technicians what they would charge to do a job and get two different quotes. Wait, two doctors, two diagnosis'. Hmm. I see a pattern.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look, i didn't want to turn this into a pissing match but you're twisting my words - and you KNOW you are.

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
:think: Who says its a better merge collector and where is the evidence that it does infact help? The power gain is the same w/ both headers.
it's been proven. the OLD QTP's dynoed the same as kooks. now, the new QTP's have been dyno-proven to be better than the old QTP's. this means they'll dyno a tad higher than kooks on average. do the math.

But you said that QTP was made of higher quality... HMmm.... No, i'm arguing w/ you that w/ the kooks you get something besides high quality. They are arguably the best fitting headers on the market. They tuck in better than QTP.
you're twisting my words. they use the same quality materials. the quality of headers is up for debate. what do you consider quality? nice welds? more power? better fitment? QTP upped their quality as they now provide a better merge. kooks has changed nothing. kooks are NOT proven to be a better fitting header, so you can quit saying this.

When buying a system, Id rather buy the whole system from 1 company instead of piecing it together. But hey, thats just me.
this doesn't matter. in that case, should you buy an SLP lid, SLP cold air kit, SLP smooth bellows, SLP headers, SLP cats and an SLP exhaust? iif the parts are interchangable, it doesn't matter what brand you buy.

QTP's make more power on most applications - even if it's marginally - and are cheaper. that is proven. the ONLY thing not proven here is that kooks fit better than QTP's. that is simply not true. one person will tell you it was easy and the other hard. it depends on the clearances of the car - which vary - and the ability of the person installing them.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Tech Resident

1) Id say its split down the line 50/50
2) Same power gains
3) Kooks
4) I'm sure they are both similar
5) Kooks

Kooks: 2
QTP: 0
to do it your way:
1.) split
2.) QTP
3.) on headers? the same
4.) similar
5.) kooks

i have an even split. take price into account and QTP's get the edge. if you're using TD's, QTP's by a mile.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks All For The Info, And Im Sorry For The People That Think Im Beating This To Death. If I Got The Qtp Headers Which Y Could I Get That I Wouldnt Have To Modify.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by NHRArox
Thanks All For The Info, And Im Sorry For The People That Think Im Beating This To Death. If I Got The Qtp Headers Which Y Could I Get That I Wouldnt Have To Modify.
i've heard the hooker y-pipe fits. i can't back this up with proof, though. honestly, you're better off having a custom y built with ANY header. most mass-produced y-pipes have a crappy merge. even the kooks y-pipe has a less than fabulous merge.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

qtp....
Old 04-17-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

What most people dont realize is... YES You can use a Kooks Y-pipe with QTP, but its not simply interchangable. You have to cut up in two different sections, and then re-weld them together. Its not just a slap this here and hook that up there type of install. Can you make it work- absolutely. Will it take some work and more money- absolutely unless you have a welder at your disposal. Taking the Y pipe into consideration- how mechanicaly inclined are you? Are you willing to mess around with it for a few hours to get it to fit right? Or do you just wanna bolt up and call it a day? All things to consider.

To the next topic- Either header is going to give you respectable gains, but the HVMC collector that eveyone rants and raves about on the QTPs wont really have an effect to drastic to notice unless your really putting up some HIGH NUMBERS! For most bolt on guys- a set of pacesetters and an ORY would do, and thats all for the price of a set of either Kooks or QTPs. QTPs do have the HVMC but Kooks has the Ventury Spike- Both do the exact same and like i said above- either wont affect noticeable power unless your running big engines and lots of power. Bottom line- Both headers will dyno around/about the same #'s- your not going to notice 5 hp at the crank.

And yet again- PRICE....Right now you can probably get a set of QTPs from a sponsor for cheaper than Kooks (b/c they are on sale) Now in a month it may be just the oppsite (as it was for me last month) Kooks were cheaper than the QTP's at the time. Based on these two headers you are debating on- Money is clearly not an object for you.

I have read every possible thread on these two sets of headers for almost a year now. From everything to install, to gains, to fit and finish, type of material, and everything inbetween. I made up my mind for reasons discussed and choose Kooks. Afterall- you asked for opinions and you certainly have gotten them. And like said before- people will stand up for what they purchased and why and will feel the urge to "speak their minds" about it on the threads.

Now before everyone jumps down my throat- This is all information I have gained here or there ON THIS SITE and by no means am I arguing with anyone and their opinions.

Good Luck on your choice- your going to need it!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

I like my QTPs. Some bolt ons and a tune-350hp/366tq Every car is different. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
people will stand up for what they purchased and why and will feel the urge to "speak their minds" about it on the threads.
that's pretty much the most accurate post in the thread. both QTP's and kooks are quality headers, no question about it. the performance is similar, the fit is similar. QTP's are generally a little cheaper and since they're polished, they look a bit better, but like what was mentioned, you could always wait for the kooks to go on sale...or since you're already spending $800 on headers, maybe another $30 isn't a huge deal for you. i've said it before and i'll say it again: QTP's for TD's, kooks for y-pipes. that's generally the rule i go with. i wanna run TD's so i went with QTP. i would suggest everyone use that rule of thumb. factor in the price I paid: $735 for QTP's. that's about $100 cheaper than kooks. few will argue that i made the right decision at the time.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

why are the qtp's better for TD's? i understand the kooks being recommended for a y-pipe....since a y-pipe and the header match is a little better.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u can afford them
Kooks all the way!!!

Two simple reasons:

1. You never ever hear someone saying their Kooks didn't fit.
2. If QTP fit was good then why don't they make bigger headers like 1 7/8 stepped to 2 with a 3.5" collector. Because you would have to be dead on. Which is what Kooks headers are.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by cals400ex
why are the qtp's better for TD's? i understand the kooks being recommended for a y-pipe....since a y-pipe and the header match is a little better.
QTP's are cheaper, they have one of the best merges, if not the best my reputation, and they're a hell of a lot nicer looking than kooks. for TD's, kooks has no real advantage over QTP's while QTP's have a few over kooks.
Originally Posted by 69TA
If u can afford them
Kooks all the way!!!

Two simple reasons:

1. You never ever hear someone saying their Kooks didn't fit.
so not true. do a search. there are threads about kooks headers not fitting correctly, and yes, i'm talking about the 1 3/4 headers. there have been several people disappointed in them just like any other product. people have also had problems with their y-pipe banging and rattling since it tucks up so high. people have had their problems with kooks, too.

Originally Posted by 69TA
2. If QTP fit was good then why don't they make bigger headers like 1 7/8 stepped to 2 with a 3.5" collector. Because you would have to be dead on. Which is what Kooks headers are.
straight from quicktime themselves: they DID make 1 7/8 headers. they stopped making them because there were no real gains with them and they didn't sell well. they tested their 1 3/4 headers vs. their 1 7/8 headers and they didn't outperform. don't compare QTP vs. kooks 1-3/4 header fitment. they both fit about equally. it's the y-pipe in question.

FWIW, kooks 1 7/8 headers are probably the WORST fitting headers on the f-body as it requires significant k-member grinding.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-18-2007 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 AM
8 Second Club

QTP all the way!!! They make a great header and u cannt beat the price. I installed mine in my driveway with no problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

I would just get what is cheaper. For me the price difference was over $300 (sucks to live up here in Canada where we built these damn cars but pay 50% more for the cars and parts...)

($1000 qtp vs 1350 kooks)
Old 04-18-2007, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

QTP flow a lot better but get a custom y-pipe
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Teching In

What is QTP's advantage for TD?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Running a set of Kooks currently...couldn't be happier with the fit or performance...very nice set of headers...

From what I've seen, QTPs are real nice as well...
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will make it easy. For anyone that has ? about our product PM me and I will answer all your ?. As for a comparison to QTP we know alittle about there product as well.