Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cures on Y bang

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cures on Y bang

Anyone have any good ideas on the y pipe banging? I have LT pace setters and ORY pipe. And it banging all over the place. I hear of people bending the y down? how is this done safely? Withoout breaking a bunch of stuff. Also i was thinking of those y rubber mounts that bolts to the bottem of your car i was thinking of 2 of those. I got new motor mounts but i would have to take everything off to get them in lol (D1sc new install)

I dont want to make my Y pipe to much lower it dont have much room as it it. maybe some kind of rubber stoppers? i dont know i could use some ideas.

i feel the bumbs only when the car is moving and mostly on the passager side, some time it feels like it right no the floor near my feet when driving. Maybe i need to take the thing to a muffler shop let them work it out.

also i hate to say this but i have no supports on the y pipe as of now.( dont make fun of me)

Last edited by BigBenz; 04-16-2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a professional exhaust shop, they may need to cut it, add length to the piping and they should tig weld everything up nicely, I spent the money on dynatechs with catted y and a used corsa, the whole system needed to be worked on. Exhaust is never 100% perfect. But if you want it done right spend the money, dont hack it.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

poly motor mounts are the best way...most anything else is just a band-aid for it.

with my cammed motor, the poly mounts keep it from moving more than 1/4" under load.

and i noticed no increase in vibration.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have poly-mounts and mine would hit the floorboard taking off from a slow speed so I went right back to the installer and asked if there was something he could stuff in there. He said he could either lower it, ahh no, or put in gasket maker/sealer between the pipe and floor board. He didn't have heater hose but said that could be used too. Now, it barely does it except by chance and under the same conditions - like reversing up a hill or taking off from a slow speed and hitting a certain RPM it will do it for a split second. I usually look behind me for a small animal at that point.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

As previously said, poly or solid mounts will make a huge difference as long as the y-pipe isnt already touch the floorboard. And if so just stuff some heater hose in between, worked on mine
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

what do you mean by heater hose?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Heater hose is heater hose, i dont know how else to describe it. It jsut a rubber hose that you can wedge inbetween the y and the floor to keep it from banging
Old 04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Heater hose is heater hose, i dont know how else to describe it. It jsut a rubber hose that you can wedge inbetween the y and the floor to keep it from banging
radiator hose? I have extra of that.Would that work or will it melt? I hate to sound dumb but what kind of heater hose? one that wont melt
Old 04-16-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont feel dumb i need to know what heater hose is and were to get it
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine used to be only about 1/4" from the bottom of the car. What I did was unbolt all of the u-clamp nuts holding the exhaust and collectors together. Next I hammered a bunch of small wooden wedges between the car and the pipe where it was banging (this pushed it down to allow maybe 1/2" to 3/4" clearance b/w the car and pipe). Next I tightened down all of the u-clamp nuts like craaaazy. It helped a lot but I still had a very small bit of banging. To cure it I put in a poly driver's side motor mount and now it hasn't done it since.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i was going to install motor mounts but after looking at the project for about 40 mins i decided it would be a better idea to just pay someone to do it. Its a huge pain in the ***. Anyone with a car lift could do it so much easyer. But i found a few spots were my Y was banging.

Were do you get this heater hose. Is it just radiator hose? Cus if it wouldnt melt on the pipes i think it would be a great cure.

thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBenz
well i was going to install motor mounts but after looking at the project for about 40 mins i decided it would be a better idea to just pay someone to do it. Its a huge pain in the ***. Anyone with a car lift could do it so much easyer. But i found a few spots were my Y was banging.

Were do you get this heater hose. Is it just radiator hose? Cus if it wouldnt melt on the pipes i think it would be a great cure.

thanks.
Dont be a gimp. All you need to is the drivers side. Its not that hard to do.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBenz
I did mine, but to tell you the truth I would pay somebody else to do it if I had to go through it again.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just made a recess in the floor board. free. Cut, bend, weld, done.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a bad y bang and itll be a while before i go back to the shop for more work to have it corrected (lowered and poly m mounts) so i got some header wrap and rolled it up real tight and pulled down on the y with a prybar and jammed the roll of wrap in there so its a really tight fit. it solved the bang prob completely but now i feel the exhaust pulses throughout the car lol, but it wont be like this for long. but its a quick fix if your pulling your hair out with the banging..
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much can i bend the ypipe b4 i start to mess with the mounting on the heads from the headers.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to an exhaust shop where they heated up my y pipe and ovaled it out with a huge set of pliers to add clearance.

I have one of those mufflex hangers (is used to fix banging problem) made for our cars that I never needed to use that I would sell for $40 shipped if anyone is interested as it just sits in my garage gathering dust.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Like everyone else said, poly motor mounts. And while ur at it if you have a manual replace the trans mount with poly mount also. You will be amazed how much more stable the trans is and easier to shift.

If you don't want to do that, good luck trying to bend hack etc on your y-pipe.

Brian
Old 04-17-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to take the car in and them do all the mounts. My buddie has a shop. IM goiing to try to fix this y bang. Tonight with some heater hose.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i fixed mine with heater hose and the rubber parts of exhaust hangers. but i can feel the exhaust pulse throughout my car and my mirrors shake. Ill probley take it to a shop when i get some money.