Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side exit exhaust camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
I saw some pictures with someone who had roush style side tips coming out of their side skirts, and it looked perfect. but i think those tips are like 150 each. ill try to find the pic

Gibson and magnaflow make nice tips the gibsons are cheaper and can be ordered through local parts stores. I have a guy at Advance Auto that gives me employee discount of 20% off so i think ill check out some there since i cant find a sponsor that sells them... But if i could, id buy from a sponsor.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now I have both pipes cut off right after the stock cats and have not noticed any fumes at all. Even when idling with the windows down.

Once I put the headers on I don't plan on running cats so maybe I will have fumes then? I don't know.

I was thinking of a single muffler and having it exit on the passenger side, but there isn't a muffler that will work and making one is much more expensive than I thought originally. So now I'm thinking of a pair of Spintech mufflers and have it exit each side.

They sound great, are small and offer some real flexibility in design. You can have the in/out on opposite sides, the same side or have the outlet on the side of the muffler so they are perfect for side exhaust systems.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

I think side exhaust with the factory cats but without the friggin Y-PIPE would not only sound great with out all the rasp but look great also using the factory optional side rocker skirts with a cut out portion for a chrome tip either rectangle or slash cut . Any soot on the side would just look bitchin too . With cats , NO SOOT issues.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've always had soot issues with the stock cats. I've heard it can be tuned to not produce it, so once I get the headers on I planed to have it tuned. I may be able to squeeze some short cats in if I reduce the collector length.

Here is a cast aluminum Mustang "E" tip. $310 a pair.

Roush offers these "R" tips for $390 a pair. Big pics.
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...94-4700-ab.jpg
http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCa...m94-4700-a.jpg

Here are some Spintech mufflers in a standard side exit design.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-05-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I was working on a design like this.

I'm pretty sure I could do it and have it not real loud, but should I? There are legal issues, fumes, soot, noise, etc... that I need to figure out.

I've got a thread going on this, but here is some info on the Mclaren SLR side exit exhaust.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....9&postcount=47

Note that it has four catalytic converters - two on each side and secondary air injection, which together ensure extremely low exhaust emissions as well as no fumes I'm sure.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-05-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

That would be an awseome setup Jason.

Look at post number 18, I think it would look sick to do something like that but expensive. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/715053-anybody-done-side-mount-exhaust-tip.html
Old 08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think part of that design is that the skirts are lowered and the other part is the tips are flattened somewhat and that's how the mustangs get that look. Something like that could be done with the TA for sure. I was actually considering cutting into the cars sheetmetal behind the skirt to give me my clearance and then cut out a hole in the skirt. There are actually a lot of ways to do the cosmetic part. I was thinking I could just run the tubing out under the skirt until I figure out how exactly I want the tips to look.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i think you should go that way or the way you posted. I guess its legal in texas to have the side exits under the door.
Here in virginia it has to be behind the door to be legal, wish i lived in Texas.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know if it would be legal or not here. I'm going to have to ask around about it.

Really, I just want to do it for the sake of doing it. It's unique.

I have gotten into trouble by not planning things out in advance, so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

I suppose I could make the side exhaust without cutting into the car and then have a stock exhaust to put on if I have to have to pass an inspection or something. The guys who inspect my car are friends and just plug the computer in. If it passes, it passes. No sniffer, no visual, no under the hood looks so I should be OK. You never know, in a year or 2 the Feds may crack down and make inspections much harder to pass. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I may even leave my non-functional tips on in the back along with the side exhaust so if a cop pulls up behind me, he will see them and not look for any more exhaust tips, you dig?

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-06-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smurf TA
does anyone have any pics or info on side exit exhaust for 98' plus camaro. wondering if it will work
here is some pic's off my old setup.
Attached Thumbnails side exit exhaust camaro-1014061113.jpg   side exit exhaust camaro-1014061114.jpg  
Old 08-06-2007, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a thought on tips. If you want functional side exhaust without attracting too much attention you can make a thin, flat tip like the boomtubes, but add a angle cut and tuck them in a little more so that you can't see them unless you bend down and look. Then have some factory tips in back just to fill the stock locations. I may do that.

If it's not going to be seen then it might be better for me to have one muffler made. It simplifies things.

Now if I had tips exposed or molded into the body, then I would want to do mufflers on each side to balance the overall look.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here are a few side exits I found on 3rd gens.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Amoretti
I can only imagine pulling up to a stop light with a slight tailwind and the windows down.

its really not that bad whether its out the back or the sides. sides have a lot of clearance issues, unless you want to dump a lot of $$ into it to make it work
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Here are a few side exits I found on 3rd gens.
Clearance is almost non existant on the 3rd gens with that set up. Also you can see too much of the system under the car and it is not hidden.

I have been really thinking about true duals regardless where they exit. Unless you are going to pay someone to fab up a 2 1/2" or larger system (which would get expensive) I think the best option for Fbody's is to go with a larger Y pipe back (two 3" in and one 3.5 or 4" out to the back) to the muffler. Besides, my SFC would not allow me to get anyting out the side anyway.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can think of so many ways to do it, it makes my head spin.

I also found out that Spintech has some super thin mufflers - 2.25"x9"x16". Lot's of posibilities with them as well as their 3" thin ones.

I think if you want the side tips to be real tight to the body you may have to attach them to the car and then run the metal braided flex hoses to allow the engine to move. That's how the SLR Mclaren is done. It wouldn't look right having a big gap all the way around the tip.

It kind of makes sense to add a braided hose by the collectors so the entire exhuast can be tucked up higher than normal.

Last edited by JasonWW; 08-06-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is finished. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Full 3", all mandrel bends, tig welded. X-pipe into dr. gas street boom tubes. Sound = unbelievable.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

No muffler?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an extensive thread by me on this subject with a lot of pictures in it as well.

Jason you cant have the exhaust dumped before the last opening window, state laws cover it, not sure about federal.

In the end it was voted it was rice. I was looking for the old AAR Cuda look with the side exits. Ovalized tubing is your friend with this project.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
There is an extensive thread by me on this subject with a lot of pictures in it as well.

Jason you cant have the exhaust dumped before the last opening window, state laws cover it, not sure about federal.

In the end it was voted it was rice. I was looking for the old AAR Cuda look with the side exits. Ovalized tubing is your friend with this project.
The thread titled "side exhaust poll yes or no rice or nice"?

About the location, how would anyone know, assuming the side pipes are not seen? What about that McClaren?

I do not care about polls or popular opinion. Most people here don't like my ideas, I do them anyway and then people seem to change their mind about them. I just don't care anymore. It's your car, you may as well do what you like.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I forget which one it was. there was one in the nwsection and then one in the exaust section. There were some cars already done that didnt look to bad is why I mentioned it, it could give you some ideas. I like some of your ideas, at least your thinking and trying to be inovative and not just following a crowd like a lemming off a cliff. Keep up the ingenuity ! Ovalized tubing takes care of clearance issues.

Quick Reply: side exit exhaust camaro