Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has FLP LT headers and cut outs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has FLP LT headers and cut outs ?

2 questions,

What size are the FLP LT header tubes, 2.5", 3.0",or 3.5"? Where is the best place to put the cut outs? I was thinking right behind the orps-cats but I'm not sure there is enough room for a cut out right before the tube turns inboard towards the Y pipe on the passenger side and I am thinking they might hit the floor boards. Where did you put them? let me know, thanks.

Mark
Old 03-25-2002, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Who has FLP LT headers and cut outs ?

Mark,

Are you referring to the y-pipe or the primary tubes on the headers? The y-pipe is 2.5". I had Nick at Nick's Muffler in Plano build me dual custom cutouts on my '98 T/A, and he did an EXCELLENT job! He built them just before the y-pipe turns to merge at the collector. He built them so that the exhaust will be able to shoot straight out of the y-pipe. It was a trick setup. The downside is that he charges $75 per cutout, but he'll do a fantastic job so that it won't bang on the floorboard of the car. It will also last a lot longer than the standard cutouts that you can get from Summit. Those typically warp some over time; mine did when I had one on my T/A way back when.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Trevor,

The car is at FAStech now, I told Sean to have 2 of them put on while it's there. I'll call him and tell him to have Nick build them for me and get them installed while it's there.

Mark
Old 03-26-2002, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

why would you do that? as far as i heard on this site, doind that would cause serious problems with the O2 sensors if oxygen gets to them throwing off the readings!

---also, this is kind of a redundant questions, but without valve work, something happen without backpressure like burned out valves or something?

<small>[ March 26, 2002, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: R U A LS1 ]</small>
Old 03-26-2002, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

You only use the cut outs at the drag strip and then cap them back off after your finished racing. You use them because they are less restrictive than the complete exhaust system and the period of time they are open isn't long enough to cause damage to the valves due to less back pressure and you get more power.

Mark
Old 03-27-2002, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running a cutout all of the time will NOT cause damage to the valves! If you tried starting the engine with NO manifolds or maybe if you ran the stock manifolds or shorty headers open with no y-pipe connected, then it could happen. Just running a cutout on the catback or dual cutouts on the y-pipe will not damage your valves.