Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP, FTRA or Whisper Ram Air kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP, FTRA or Whisper Ram Air kit questions

Do any of these come with a block off plate in case of rain? Do they work on cars that already have a big trans cooler on the radiator? My cooler is all the way off on the passenger side.

I was thinking of getting one of these kits, but I've never seen one on a car, and I don't know if it will fit with my cooler. A little pic on a website does not tell me how big the parts are.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SLP, FTRA or Whisper Ram Air kit questions

The FTRA does come with a block off plate but I belive its a couple dollars extra. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I got it on a GP wher the blockoff plate was included in the deal. The piece is fairly good sized but I dont think you will have any issues with the cooler, you can always remount it somewhere else. I was very pleased with the craftsmanship of the FTRA unit and cant wait to get it in to see if the rumors are true about the "on the roll" increase. they claim a 5% increase in VE with equates to about a 15-20hp gain! But its only good while car is moving.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I just looked harder at my car, the cooler is blocking half the side of where the ram air valance would be. I don't want to move the cooler, because it has the most air passing by it the way it is right now. Oh well.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Whisper and FTRA are nearly the same thing. Both come with the rain block off plate. The SLP is a short version without the lower "ram" that fast toys started.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I have a B&M 24000 GVW cooler and it works fine with my FTRA. Mine also came with a blockoff plate.
Old 03-26-2002, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

oops missed that part.. here's a how to on the transcooler install Transcooler Ram Air install
Old 04-08-2002, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jim,

I have a FTRA kit and a B&M trans cooler on my car together and everything is just fine. The FTRA kit works as good as advertised and mine did come with a full block off plate but I've never used it in rain yet(never had a problem).

Mike