Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled maf screen, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled maf screen, need help!

Ok after ataping my car with maft, I got basic reading of o2s around the .93-.94 for both banks. Timing around 36. Then pulled the maf screen, and set wot to 2% lean. Now one o2
is around .87 and the other is around .92, timing is around 26-29 degrees and lterms are around -4-6. Did screwing with the maf do anything? What else can Ido to get my car running right?
Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-08-2002, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Pulled maf screen, need help!

hey,
well ya i was thinkin about taking my screen out to.. but wasnt to sure that it could all good there had to be some kinda effect on the car.. looks like u found it.. sorry i don't no how to help u tho. But i think im gona leave my screen in for a bit longer till i figure out its safe or not.
Old 05-09-2002, 07:22 AM
Banned

Unplug your battery for 10 minutes, start the car, let it find its idle, then take it out and run it hard for 50-60 miles. Then do an idle relearn:

5 minutes in gear (A4 only)
5 minutes in park (nuetral for M6)

Shut car off for 30 seconds. Then ATAP the car.

BTW, O2 reading aren't that good for true WOT fuel ratio readings - very inaccurate.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TravWS6, I descreened my MAF about a year ago. I dyno'd right before and right after. It jumped from 271h.p. to 293h.p. I don't recall the exact numbers but it also jumped up 19rwtq. People have doubted this but this is how my car reacted. To my knowledge, there haven't been any adverse effects. I've heard other ls1's actually loose hp. Your call.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Descreening is good.

Side-effects: it'll f with your idle a bit (mostly on deceleration and this I know only from M6's)
also, to prevent excess dirt in the intake and, god forbid, engine, use a good filter.

All LS1's will pick up power from this mod . . . when done correctly.

Some PCM's learn instantly . . . others not the case.

Definitely do what OBSSSD said. BTW: your O2 average is about right.

Did you monitor Knock Retard?

Parameters to be monitored: KR, First Bank O2's, timing advance, rpm's, throttle pos, L terms B1 and 2.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a link to my post on ls1.com, there my buddy that atapped my car posted some excel spreadsheets on the 1st and 2nd run with the screen, and then the 2% without the screen. We are going to try to tune it again this weekend and get more readings. I had 0 knock retard before the screen, now I had around 3-4 degrees.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...5&goto=newpost