Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that setup is just going to be insanely loud is my concern. Plus, something with and H or X would help scavenging. For all out track car, thats the way to go though
Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
that setup is just going to be insanely loud is my concern. Plus, something with and H or X would help scavenging. For all out track car, thats the way to go though
According to SUX2BU from that other thread the Magnaflow right after the headers isn't as loud as most true duals. This is kind of a subjective part. It's hard to say what is loud as it varies from person to person.

Like I was saying before, I set up my priorities for MY ultimate exhaust. I know an X or H pipe is a good idea and may improve the sound, but I just don't see how it can be done without it dropping down and hurting the ground clearance. The H pipe may be doable with some ovalized tubing, but I'll have to actually see for myself. I'm pretty sure an X pipe would be out of the question.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonWW
According to SUX2BU from that other thread the Magnaflow right after the headers isn't as loud as most true duals. This is kind of a subjective part. It's hard to say what is loud as it varies from person to person.

Like I was saying before, I set up my priorities for MY ultimate exhaust. I know an X or H pipe is a good idea and may improve the sound, but I just don't see how it can be done without it dropping down and hurting the ground clearance. The H pipe may be doable with some ovalized tubing, but I'll have to actually see for myself. I'm pretty sure an X pipe would be out of the question.
honestly, my Magnaflow duals all the way over the axle and out the back are still pretty loud. Here is a pic of my clearance with an x pipe just for reference
Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

honestly, my Magnaflow duals all the way over the axle and out the back are still pretty loud. Here is a pic of my clearance with an x pipe just for reference
If the exhaust on my car were that low I wouldn't make it out of my driveway without scraping.

My rear mounted muffler was a Magnaflow and I had the stock manifolds and cats and it was really quiet. I know they are one of the quieter mufflers on the market. I'm guessing that the headers and no cats adds a lot of volume. I like loud, maybe what is too loud for you is just right for me. Who knows. I would still like to use a 3" muffler rather than a 4" for more clearance. I may be able to plug one outlet of my old muffler and mount it up to one side just to hear what it sounds like.

There is also a muffler that has the inlet and outlet on the same side. It was designed for mounting before the axle and then have the exhaust come out in front of the rear wheel.

It's pricey, but hopefully there is a cheaper alternative. I was thinking it might be possible to mount this under the passenger side cat area and run both sides of the exhaust into it and then have it run out the passenger side. It wouldn't be a dual exhaust, but it's interesting.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Somehow my picture on post 7 didn't get through. It's fixed now.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging by the first pic of the Boom tubes you posted, it would appear they cover a lot of area. To me it seems it will be really hard to route them to exit behind the front wheels.
This is an interesting idea though and I definately wnt to see how it turns out.
Good luck!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I like those on that Pewter T/A. The ground clearance looks better than I'd imagined.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I agree you could definetly fit a H pipe under there. Especially if you use oval piping.

I eventually want to do a set of true duals with oval piping over the rear axle once I get all my suspension and drivetrain done.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by '00_Z
Judging by the first pic of the Boom tubes you posted, it would appear they cover a lot of area. To me it seems it will be really hard to route them to exit behind the front wheels.
This is an interesting idea though and I definately wnt to see how it turns out.
Good luck!
The reason they cover a lot of area is because it's for both sides. See the dual inlets? If you look at the pewter car each side is half the width.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Boom tubes are what they run in NASCAR. Here's a custom one.

They take the round tube and flatten it out for clearance without causing any restriction in flow.
Would this setup work on a 4th gen? Looks amazing.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Would this setup work on a 4th gen? Looks amazing.
It's hard to say, maybe if your at stock height. More pics can be found here:
http://www.drgas.com/photogal/thumbnails.php?album=2
Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

What muffler would you guys like to use if you had room on the end of a true dual setup (no cats)?

Big 5x8 3" Magnaflows you can see through?
Would that get rid of the drone while still allowing it to roar at higher RPM?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot all about Supertrapps adjustable mufflers. I see they also also have these cheaper disc setups that can be added to the end of the pipe to control the volume and flow.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku