Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007 | 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Ultimate True Dual Exhaust?

I'm close to getting headers for my 99 TA and was wanting to design the exhaust from the ground up. I think I'm going to try something I've never seen before. I want to go from the headers to the cats (assuming I use them) and then straight out to the sides. I think some boom tubes would work well. There is a metal lip that hangs down where the body seams meet at the outer sides and it can be bent over. If the boom tubes are only 1" thick it should have good ground clearance.

Something like this:

The boom tubes look something like this:

Do you guys think this would sound good?
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

never heard of boom tubes??? looks like alot of restriction though but IDK, i need a diffrent angle of the boom tube
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Boom tubes are what they run in NASCAR. Here's a custom one.

They take the round tube and flatten it out for clearance without causing any restriction in flow.
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

that looks sweet, i understand what ur trying to do now, i would think it'll b loud as ***!!
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:02 PM
11 Second Club

+1 on the loud thing. Those things are going to be right behind your ears!
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

This has been done before...if you search around, you'll find more info.
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

It shouldn't be too loud with the cats.

This is my current exhaust. Stock manifolds and cats, but a very short pipe. This sounds about the same as when I had the full exhaust and had an electric cutout in the same location.

I think with it dumping under the car it adds extra noise as the whole car body vibrates.

With headers and cats plus the exhaust exiting on the outer edge of the car (not under it) I think it would be about the same as now. I know if I left the cats off it would be REAL loud. I may try it and see. It's going to be a big experiment to find out what sounds best.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2007 | 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
This has been done before...if you search around, you'll find more info.
What word can I search for? I sure would like to check them out.

The only thing close I've seen is guys with passenger side exiting exhausts which isn't the same thing.
Old 05-11-2007 | 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

One other thing, a more traditional type of exhaust can also be run through a quiet muffler and I can use electric cutouts to direct the flow. That way I can make it quiet for those special occassions.
Old 05-11-2007 | 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

cats do squat for sound...

I tried cats with true duals and dynomax bullets...

it scared the **** out of any nearby person that I happened to throw a rev at...
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SladeX
cats do squat for sound...

I tried cats with true duals and dynomax bullets...

it scared the **** out of any nearby person that I happened to throw a rev at...
Really? The stock cats seem to act like little mufflers. Do you think it's because they are restrictive or that the headers just produce a lot more sound?

If need be I can forget the cats and instead run some small mufflers.

Spin Tech Race Mufflers are very compact and durable. They measure 2 3/4" X 8" X 13". Construction is welded steel with no packing material to blow out. They are approved for use in the USAR Hooters Pro-Cup Series, meet track sound requirements and can even be used in street applications. All outlets are 2 1/2" X 4" oval. the inlets are 2 1/2" X 4" oval or 3" round. These mufflers have excellent flow numbers and are quietest when under load or high exhaust flow.

I do want it loud BTW, just not so loud it bugs me all the time.
Old 05-11-2007 | 09:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I saved this link with some pics. They're in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=boom+tubes

I plan on doing something similar myself once I get some longtubes. I want to run a y pipe out the passenger side into a boom tube. Just run cats without any mufflers and see how it sounds. Then go from there.

EDIT: The reason I saved this link is I wanted to do something similar when I got a LS1 car. I don't think it would look right on a formula without the TA sideskirts though? Opinions?

PS: That first gen Camaro is sick. I'm going to have to do something like that if I can't find any of the exact SLP CME tips I want.
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:04 AM
Launching!

Is this what your talking about??

Edit-Also PM Black01ss I think he has a very similar set-up w/boomtubes

Last edited by boostedbuford; 05-12-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

That car is pretty close to what I'm talking about, but I want the exhaust to shorter and exit closer to the front wheels. A real leg burner! When they are mounted near the rear tire like that they would get crushed every time I drive onto a lift, which I do often.
Old 05-12-2007 | 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by boostedbuford
Is this what your talking about??

Edit-Also PM Black01ss I think he has a very similar set-up w/boomtubes

I like it alot.....looks clean & I bet it sounds pretty good
Old 05-13-2007 | 09:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Those pictures are of the car in the air on a lift. They aren't getting crushed.
Old 05-13-2007 | 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

this idea is definitely not the "ultimate" true dual exhaust
Old 05-13-2007 | 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Those pictures are of the car in the air on a lift. They aren't getting crushed.
When they are mounted near the rear tire like that they would get crushed every time I drive onto a lift.
Notice I said DRIVE onto a lift. Not drive up to one and swing the arms under it. Just like you would find at an alignment shop. They are typically about 5" high with short ramps. The ramp on my lift is a tiny bit high on the right side so the car scrapes there just a little right before the tire gets to the ramp. The other side just barely clears. My car is quite low. I can't even get a coke can under the front. That's why I wanted it to exit closer to the front wheel because there is more room there between the car and the lift as I drive onto it.

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
this idea is definitely not the "ultimate" true dual exhaust
If going straight from the headers to a muffler then straight out the side is not considered the ultimate by you, then what is? I have certain guidlines I'm following like noise levels and under car clearance, so to me this WOULD be the ultimate. I'm always curious as to what you think, though.

This is actually much closer to what I have in mind except he dumped it under the car instead of using the thin boom tubes. I will probably go this direction and see how it sounds before trying to exit it out the side.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/502513-magnaflow-s-off-kook-s-headers.html

Last edited by JasonWW; 06-01-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:05 PM
Launching!

this seems like a pretty creative idea
Old 05-13-2007 | 11:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I'm close to getting headers for my 99 TA and was wanting to design the exhaust from the ground up. I think I'm going to try something I've never seen before. I want to go from the headers to the cats (assuming I use them) and then straight out to the sides. I think some boom tubes would work well. There is a metal lip that hangs down where the body seams meet at the outer sides and it can be bent over. If the boom tubes are only 1" thick it should have good ground clearance.

Do you guys think this would sound good?

Go here:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/custom.htm

Click on Boom tube, NataSS (430rwhp dyno)

Not sure if he has cats or not (probably not)

Sounds Badass, but loud as hell!