Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's more about Flowmaster, but touches the idea that Ford tunes the Mustang engine and exhaust components for sound
Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I remember when I was into Mustangs, one of the magazines I subscribed to had a story on the Mustang sound. It said Ford tuned the Mustangs to have the ' Mustang Sound"

Here is a link I found that explains it a little bit....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/
they spent quite the crapload of money gettin the 4.6 to sound like the 5.slow! i remember reading either the same thing or something similar to it! personally they should have taken that money and invested in better flowing heads!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"For the 2001 Bullitt Mustang, Ford engineers digitally mastered the Mustang's signature raw V8 sound on computers from the 13 minute chase video. They then computer matched the sounds to prototype engines by tuning exhaust system components."

Wow...
Old 08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
"For the 2001 Bullitt Mustang, Ford engineers digitally mastered the Mustang's signature raw V8 sound on computers from the 13 minute chase video. They then computer matched the sounds to prototype engines by tuning exhaust system components."

Wow...
im on youtube right now trying to find it
typed in ford bullitt...
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

Wow...

only ford
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I'm so late on this, but here goes.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
mufflers are a moot point......if you took an LS1 and somehow gave it the same firing order as a mustang and strapped an H-pipe with 2 super 40's on it, i can guarantee you it would sound almost the same as the classic mustang sound.
if i had to pull numbers out of my butt, i'd say sound has to do 65% firing order, 25% muffler and 10% everything else. that's my opinion.
You say exhaust means nothing yet in your scenario you chose classic mustang exhaust. I'd say 75% exhaust, 25% other.

does anyone know how to screw with an engine and change its firing order (yes, i realize this would take huge alterations in design)? is it even possible? it would be a hell of a thing if we could take an LS1 and find a way to give it the exact same firing order as a 5.0 mustang to see how the sound would change. is this possible? because that would be AWESOME!
Well, it was proven the LS1 and the 4.6 fire in the same order. Hmm, now what.

honestly, marc, is this a joke? assuming your engine diagrams are correct, in order for the ford to fire the same, it has to fire 5-4-8-1-3-7-2-6. is that even remotely close to the ford's firing order of 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8? there isn't even one single cylinder that matches up!
Looks like you got owned, sometimes you try to hard.

Anyways, do all LS1s sound like f-bodys? No. Here is a good example of an LSx with a mustang exhaust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v81PkDSudw

Doesn't sound quite like a mustang, but much more so than an f-body. Believe me, I know.

If firing orders are to blame then why do LT1s and LS1s sound so similar. Maybe because they use the same exhaust, cause it ain't the firing order.

I had an LT1 Z28 with true duals and h-pipe. Guess what it sounded like. Well it actually sounded like an old muscle car, but still it sounded alot like a 5.0 mustang. And comparing it to a y-piped LT1 was a world of difference. Y-pipe have a much deeper sound to them.

Jon

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 08-06-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the real problem lies in how you choose which Mustang to pick on while on the street since a 13.xx Mustang and a 9.xx Mustang sound almost identical, with the exception of the 9.xx blower whine!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

good thread, my friend had an X-pipe with super 44s dumped on his LT1 and it sounded nothing like a mustang, lol. But that CTS-V does sound bad ***.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Lightbulb

I remember seeing a show on television one time about what Ford does with their exhausts. They were saying how ford bring in random people from the public to listen to different exhaust clips, and give feedback on what sounds the best. i think all the clips were supposed to be the interior sound. this was when they came out with the new style truck. The questions they asked were like "what sound seems to you to be more powerful, able, and capable truck?" they then said they took measures to tune the most popular sound in, by adding and removing extra material from the engine block with their CAD programs to determine the effects. they also went into how they did the exhaust, but i dont remember what they said about it. it was some kind of news show like 20/20 or some dumb ****.

I do LOVE the sound of like an 04 Cobra with AM exhaust. sounds ****** sick. sounds better than pretty much any LS1 i have heard. and trust me im an LS1 fan boy.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:43 PM

i had a 98 GT with the SOHC sounded nothing like the typical raspy mustang
ford racing shorty headers off road H pipe ran to dual 2 chamber flowmasters then dumped right in from of the rear end. had the sound of a muscle car. On the other side of things at high rpms it had the raspy sound when it was cold out.