Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primaries: 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 for a 408ci

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Primaries: 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 for a 408ci

I am going to get a set of Hooker Super Comps for the 408 When it's here (Feb 08 prolly, after deployment)..

I was wondering if 1 7/8 primaries would be too much. I'll have em on till I get the turbo for it. I am NOT insulting that engine by bolting up the SLP LT's I have now. .. Those SLP LT's will be sold for cheap.. (thinking $300)

Thanx..
Old 06-09-2007, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

1 7/8 for sure. You'll be able to utilize the big primaries with a 408.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG
1 7/8 for sure. You'll be able to utilize the big primaries with a 408.
+1....Bigger cubes=Bigger primaries
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool... Thanx guys..

I've seen the Hooker super comps installed on a loca kid's car and they tuck up REALLY well!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd be more interested in hearing what those who have dyno'd and raced both sizes would say. You might be surprised by what you hear. Check out this thread that I found by using the search feature... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=408+headers Whoever is building your engine will be able to tell you what size primaries you'll want to use. Many shops can even dyno both sizes to see what works better.

If you've already got a set of 1 3/4" long tubes you might as well keep on using them. If you are seriously planning on doing a turbo kit in the near future, there is really no need to waste money on another set of headers that are going to be sold again anyway. Also, if the motor is built with boost in mind, the compression ratio is going to be super low for n/a use and the cam will be way off too. It isn't going to run real well regardless of the header selection. Basicly, you need to figure out your goals and stick with them. A 408 built for turbo use is going to be a toad and an engine spec'd for n/a use is not going to like boost.

I will say this... A max effort 408 will run harder with bigger primaries. The motor that is going in my car was dyno'd with both 1 3/4" headers and 1 7/8" headers. On motor, the difference was negligable. On the spray the 1 7/8" headers do in fact work better. That particular engine was built for a 300 shot direct port and runs 10.20s n/a at 129mph in a 3,300lb TA.

All I'm saying is figure out your goals and go from there. An engine is an inanimate object, it will not be insulted by whatever headers you put on it. If you just continually buy mis-matched parts with out a set goal in mind you will end up with a money pit that doesn't run for ****. I've made these mistakes before. I've listened to people that had no ******* clue and heard what I wanted to hear. If all you want to hear is "Yeah, those Hooker headers are the ****! You'd be such a bad-*** if you bought them!" then go buy them. But in the mean time,