Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which exaust is louder TSP true duals or SLP loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with some sort of an over the axle setup if you daily drive your car, or drive a lot on the interstate. I had a cutout that dumped under the rear seat(stock manifolds, cats, ypipe). It sounded great and was loud, but drove me batty with the droning on the interstate.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
I would go with some sort of an over the axle setup if you daily drive your car, or drive a lot on the interstate. I had a cutout that dumped under the rear seat(stock manifolds, cats, ypipe). It sounded great and was loud, but drove me batty with the droning on the interstate.

i only drive the car maybe 2 to three times a week, i might do some interstate driving but not much at all though.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I feel like the loudmouth will be louder with longtubes and no cats while it is "rasping" around 2k rpms.

I just had true duals installed on my z28 and don't think they are that loud at all. I was rather suprised. I have headers, the short magnaflow metallic cats and the short Classic Chambered mufflers with 3" pipes, all mandrel bent. I think it's because I was used to my old setup which was headers, a y-pipe, GMMG, and a cam. A CAM really does make a difference.
This car is having a cam and plenty of other stuff installed right now so I imagine it will be a bit louder than my old car when I pick it up at the end of the week from LMR
Personally, I'm with this guy. TD's, loud inside the car without cat. LM I have heard without cats and it is very loud as well, raspy too.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

i have the LM1 right now everyone seems to thinks its super loud and obnoxious, but still in my opinion its not loud enough which i want to switch to true duals as well
Old 06-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

from reading you guys replies it seems that they are both very loud, but i guess its about which one sounds better to you.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are both very loud but LM1 with no cats and headers will give you tons of rasp around 2k, making it louder. There's not really a tone or deepness to it though
The true duals will be deep and loud and great sounding. Many people don't like rasp but if you do, go with the LM1 bc you will tear off people's ears.

I've got a vid of what the LM1 setup sounds like, let me find it for you
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had both, I prefer the tsp duals over the LM. I have less drone with the duals, no rasp and I have that deep mellow rumble that comes alive under WOT.

With the LM I was running cats and stock manifolds.

My TSP duals are 3" with x-pipe 12" bullets turned down in front of the rear axle with LT headers, no cats. YES I daily drive mine and love it. Getting ready to take it on a 1100 mile trip to Florida.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found the video. This guy used to be on ls1tech years ago when it first started. He ended up selling the car to get a supra.
Anyway, this is what your car will sound like with the LM1/headers/ORY...RASPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kPmJB-T3A
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I found the video. This guy used to be on ls1tech years ago when it first started. He ended up selling the car to get a supra.
Anyway, this is what your car will sound like with the LM1/headers/ORY...RASPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kPmJB-T3A
i guess i like how that sounds, but i was wondering since i have more CR would it be louder?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally don't care too much for the LM. I have heard dozens of LS1's at the track with them and they are loud but the rasp just kills it for me. There's not much tone.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by white00z
i guess i like how that sounds, but i was wondering since i have more CR would it be louder?
I think that car may have had higher than stock compression. It was one of the first cars to break 400rwhp! damn, i remember when midlength headers and a lid were big mods!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why people hate on the LM so much. I don't think they know what it is.

You can swap just about any bullet muffler you want in there. Its just piping. Damn good piping at that. Mandrel bent stainless steel. You can't get much better then that.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
I don't know why people hate on the LM so much. I don't think they know what it is.

You can swap just about any bullet muffler you want in there. Its just piping. Damn good piping at that. Mandrel bent stainless steel. You can't get much better then that.
people dislike the LM in stock form with longtubes/ORY. If you swap in another muffler, it's no longer a LM, it's a "dynomouth" or a "borlamouth" or "magnamouth"
Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Location: where ever i can store my car. (palos hills,il for now)

I Hate To Say It But The Loudmouth With Motor Work Is Too Loud
Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justin00SS

Agreed. The word "rasp" seems to be contageous around here. Someone please define "rasp" for me?
Here is the deal. Both are loud. One is loud where you want it(outside the car) and the other is loud where you(probably) dont want it(INSIDE the car).
LM with longtubes on my car with a MS3 cam is TONS louder OUTSIDE then my old Hotcam setup with TDs. Now, it literally sounds like a Dragster, whereas the TD setup sounded more like a old school muscle car. Just depends on what you want. I want the car to SCREAM when I hit it, not sound like a mufflerless grain truck. The best part is, I can hear my stereo and not smell exhaust now.

My comparisonwith LTs and a cam)
TD's- NASCAR.
LM- Top Fuel.

Both, however, are VERY attention catching!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Agreed. The word "rasp" seems to be contageous around here. Someone please define "rasp" for me?
Here is the deal. Both are loud. One is loud where you want it(outside the car) and the other is loud where you(probably) dont want it(INSIDE the car).
LM with longtubes on my car with a MS3 cam is TONS louder OUTSIDE then my old Hotcam setup with TDs. Now, it literally sounds like a Dragster, whereas the TD setup sounded more like a old school muscle car. Just depends on what you want. I want the car to SCREAM when I hit it, not sound like a mufflerless grain truck. The best part is, I can hear my stereo and not smell exhaust now.

My comparisonwith LTs and a cam)
TD's- NASCAR.
LM- Top Fuel.

Both, however, are VERY attention catching!

i like to hear the sound of raped ape when i punch it too!! so i guess im going with the loudmouth since it is quieter in the inside.

Quick Reply: which exaust is louder TSP true duals or SLP loudmouth?