Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header bolt torque

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default header bolt torque

im re installing my headers and am wondering what i should torque the bolts down to. I have pacesetters, gm gaskets, and stage 8 bolts

thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First pass 11 lb ft., second pass 18 lb ft. Start at the middle and work your way out to the ends evenly. I would drive it for a few weeks and check them again.

Edit: With the Stage 8 bolts you might can get away with re-checking after a few weeks...maybe.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
First pass 11 lb ft., second pass 18 lb ft. Start at the middle and work your way out to the ends evenly. I would drive it for a few weeks and check them again.

Edit: With the Stage 8 bolts you might can get away with re-checking after a few weeks...maybe.

yep,right out of the manual
Old 06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would these numbers be any different if one were re-using stock bolts?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't make a difference if the bolts are used or not.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I reused my stockers today also just did the ole hand torque method. IMO it would be to much of a pain to use a torque wrench on some of the bolts.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Did a search and came up on alot of different opinions on using loc-tite or anti-seize, personally loc-tite makes me think that when you want to get those bolts out one day you may end up breaking the head off of the bolt, IMO. However, I just got the driver side header on by myself with the help of a bucket underneath the header. I had to get a few bolts on then was able to slide the gasket in and remove and reinsert the bolts and tighten. I got them on hand tight and the tightened them up... I don't know if i'm just tired and losing my vision but it kind of seems like I can still see the gasket from the top, should it not be fully sealed? I'll post a pic of later on...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spiewalk
Did a search and came up on alot of different opinions on using loc-tite or anti-seize, personally loc-tite makes me think that when you want to get those bolts out one day you may end up breaking the head off of the bolt, IMO. However, I just got the driver side header on by myself with the help of a bucket underneath the header. I had to get a few bolts on then was able to slide the gasket in and remove and reinsert the bolts and tighten. I got them on hand tight and the tightened them up... I don't know if i'm just tired and losing my vision but it kind of seems like I can still see the gasket from the top, should it not be fully sealed? I'll post a pic of later on...
I error on the side of anti seize and I haven't had anything come loose yet.